Base Rock using it or not?

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Has anyone used base rock from a company called Marcorocks.
Saw them on ebay and the company seems to have very good high grade remarks.
I am interested in finding out if any one who used this rock and eventually learned that the rock leached phosphates or anything else over time.
I really want to add some rock to my new 180 setup but want to save money by adding some base rock from a reputable source.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco Rocks is a very reputable vendor and also a sponsor on this board. Two local guys have used him for their rock and both times the rock looked great to me. I'd definitely use him if I needed rock.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 40 lbs in my system and will use it in my next system. Make sure to cure them good before you put them in your system. They will leave phosphates if added directly to the tank. I love them, and the price is unbeatable.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like this is the route to go, but have one problem.
My current rocks and tank are already cycled. The base rock will be added so that I can have more rock in my new setup with the older cured live rock scattered throughout. I have too many sps's and corals and I am afraid to go and add rock that has to go thru the cycle process. This will cause death for sure to my corals and fish.
What would you recommend?

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat it like you would cycle a tank. Toss a few krill in and and monitor the water until the ammonia and nitrites are 0. You can put a cup of your tank sand in there or a small rock from your tank. The bacteria also like light, so if you can throw some type of light on there that will also help.

Give marco rocks a call and talk to him as well. I thought his rock was already cured, but maybe I'm wrong? His site says it's precycled now.

Dry Rock

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does but it also states eleswhere on the website that it must be not be added directly just cured for a shorter time.
Someone else suggested reefcleaners.org. Now their rock comes from Florida and they state that it does not have to cured and can be added directly to the tank.

Has anyone used reefcleaners.org?

bluebeltreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had some buddies use it and the rocks they got looked great! just make sure to clean them and cure them good.

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used MarcoRocks as a base, and I think it turned out great... Just make sure you pick out the dead stuff before you setup your tank (look for black chunks and stuff).... Within 2-3 months I had livestock (SPS corals) in the tank.

The Marcorocks were in the tank fist, then about 2-3 weeks later, liverock was added, another month later, livestock was added....

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought a bunch of rock from marco rocks and it looks great. i also got some ecorox from BRS and it was really nice as well.

Marc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys thanks for the props and the interest,

There is definitely a difference between the Fiji (past and present) and the Key Largo, much of what you read about long cycle time excess organics etc comes from the old Fiji.
We are now pre cycling or "cooking" both Key Largo and Fiji rock (Smart Start) so as to cut your cycle time significantly. The Key Largo being the cleanest of the two, I have never seen an ammonia or nitrite spike from this rock once we process it.

I do still recommend cycling in the tub before tanking with animals though. It's probably "safe" and you can probably "get away with it" but my feeling is why do that when optimum is only 2 weeks away?
That 2 weeks being cycling to being beneficial. You can do this with either seed rock & sand or a bottled product. I use the Fritz turbo start on every tank I set up and have been for over 5 years.

bluebeltreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there you have it folks, straight from the man himself.

when i upgrade, i will definately use some marco rocks. cost is nice and so is appearance!

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used his rocks, but I went up to his place to pick out the pieces that I wanted. :) Better to get exactly what you want sometimes. Marco rocks are nice, but it takes a while to cure, unless you buy his cured rock.

bigcity51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered from marco's three times, very good stuff that he ships. The only problem that I had was with the internet security on the site. Got a letter yesterday saying some one hacked into their database(not marco's) and took information. I would still go with marco's anyways its cheap and great quality.

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys,
I finally ordered my base rock. I ordered from reefcleaners.org. I used these guys because their rock did not need cycling just rinising off. I will still run a short cycle process with some of my own live rock so that the new BR can start seeding.
Since I am not actually starting from scratch I should have enough bacteria in my current live rock and old tank water, which will make up about as much as 70% the new tank volume.

Thanks guys for all your info and guidance!

amay121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and post a picture of the new aquascape when you're done. :)

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Marc...

Also don't forget, just because you can rinse stuff off the outside, most organisms live on the inside of the rock, which is dry, which means those organisms are dead, they will have to be cycled out.....

Just be prepared for some type of cycle... no matter where you get it from.... if it's dry it's dead.... just to be safe I'd at least get a couple tubs, and let it sit for a couple weeks.... keep an eye on parameters....

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back