OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Including some photos to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with - I've also noticed that the corraline algae has stalled it's growth.

I did another 20 gallon water change today to bring the total to around 35 gallons cycled out over the past week. Going to stop with the WC for about five days.

Going to test all the major parameters tonight, but I anticipate them holding steady as the water I'm adding to the tank has the same values that my DT water does.

IMG-8947.jpg

IMG-8948.jpg
IMG-8949.jpg
IMG-8950.jpg
IMG-8951.jpg
IMG-8952.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update to see if anyone has any thoughts, because I'm at a complete loss here.

All of my fleshy corals are doing much better - Acans / favias / hammers / frogspawn / torches. Some of them actually look better than they ever have.

My stoney corals - acropora / anacrapora / montipora / stylo / birdsnest / chalice all have been looking worse and worse every day.

I keep wondering if there is a contaminate in the tank that the ICP test wouldn't pick up. The wild thing is my fleshy corals seem to be doing really well.

After I finish my water change routine, I plan on sending off another ICP test to see if I've solved the tin issue, but I feel like there must be something I'm missing here...
If you have substantial macroalgae growth it could remove some metals quick enough that icp doesnt detect. If metals flux thennget removed you wouldn't notice the damgae on icp.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have substantial macroalgae growth it could remove some metals quick enough that icp doesnt detect. If metals flux thennget removed you wouldn't notice the damgae on icp.
I do have a very healthy and growing refugium. That's a good point that the fuge could be sucking up some of the contaminants.

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been about a week since I changed out around 30 gallons of water - I’m still seeing tissue recession on all of my stony coral. LPS is doing well, some of the best PE I’ve ever seen on my Acans. Micromussa doing well as well as my Favias. Zoanthids doing well but those can make it through anything.

Corals with calcium skeletons and smaller polyps are struggling. Acropora looking terrible, base up STN now making it to the branches. My birds nest and stylo have almost no flesh left. Even war coral, chalices, and montipora are all losing their flesh.

Feels like at this point there’s nothing I can do but watch the coral die. I’m going to do another Triton test at the end of the month after I do another 30 gallons worth of water changes (I intend to do these in about another week)

funny thing is a green montipora cap is the only encrusting coral showing healthy growth.

Is it possible that I need more light? It’s one of the few adjustments I made prior to everything going down hill. Moved the lights up about 7 inches. The par probably went down a good amount, but with all the issues in the tank I thought it’d be a good idea to keep the light subdued a bit.

salinity: 1.026 (calibrated refractometer)
Alk: 10.2 (Hannah)
CA:410 (Hannah)
Mag: 1350 (RedSea)
No4: 3 (Hannah)

OP
OP
Creggers

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost all of my stony corals...

I've got a couple frags that I'm keeping at friends houses and don't intend to add them to my tank until some time passes, but I don't even know when it'd be safe again. This is really demoralizing.

My acropora(s) have lost 99% of their flesh at this point, same goes for any Montipora they're covered in algae and my chalices looking horrible as well. Montipora spongodes rapidly going downhill as well. I'm even losing a war coral... The only thing that doesn't look terrible is some Favia, Euphilia, and some Acans (they only look good if I feed them).

I place a majority of the blame on myself for moving quickly (IE Adding corals prior to getting N/P under control) and the BRS heater that was throwing enough stray current into the tank to painfully shock me when I put my hand in the tank. I usually wear gloves so I think the heater was throwing this current for a while.

Is this assumption safe? Meaning is there any other stone I've yet to turn over that could explain the rapid loss of 80% of my coral?

Back