Basement Filtr. Blueprints 100g Mixed Reef

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Are you're guys thoughts on this blueprint... Anything I am missing? Things that are nice to have for future updates? General thoughts on how you guys find the easiest ways to run some of these systems?

basmeent.png

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y not combine wate water and used saltwater if they're getting dumped to the drain... consolidate. 1 bucket 1 pump. If you have a sink nearby just run it to the sink drain

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Here is couple of pointers I can quickly think of:

Drain skimmate to your waste water container so that only AWC water drains into the vat to the left. This way you can compare how much water was pumped vs drained using DOS as AWC.

Install float switches on the WASTE WATER container so that the pump is turned on and dumps contents when top switch is activated and runs for min. time or until bottom switch is dis-activated.

Why do you have 2 lines (blue) from RO filter to your RODI container. Only the top line is needed and should be connected via Float type valve.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Y not combine wate water and used saltwater if they're getting dumped to the drain... consolidate. 1 bucket 1 pump. If you have a sink nearby just run it to the sink drain

That's what I was thinking initially but if you went through water change cycle having freshly mixed and bad saltwater in 2 separate containers of the same size would allow you to visually inspect if water in = water out.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking initially but if you went through water change cycle having freshly mixed and bad saltwater in 2 separate containers of the same size would allow you to visually inspect if water in = water out.
Makes sense.

OP
OP
DaScubaSteve

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update:
The two blue lines are for when the rodi sucks water back into the unit for a flush. It's a spectrapure unit. I decided to just use one waste water cont

I put a pump in the waster water container and wired it with float switches to turn on qnd off. I used a probe type of float switch. the pump plugs into and outlet connected to two probes and turns on the pump when water reaches the top probe and off when the bottom prpbe is dry. You can see the half inch pipe coming out of the can and going out of the house. So far works great when testing making rodi water.

I was looking at the platinum trigger sump with the built in filter roller. I ended up going with a Trigger Crystal 30 and Aquamaxx AF1 roller filter. the Aquamaxx is a little snug in the first container but it does fit. Total cost of that setup is under $500 and extra rolls are only $14 bucks compared to clearisea's $25 or more.

In the center compartment I have a small sicce pumping around 375gph into a clearwater ATS its a CW-100. I have ot partyl sitting on the edge of the sump and then the other end sits on a wooden block screwed into the 2x4 behind it.

The skimmer is a bubblemagus curve 5 elite and fits in perfectly. The water height for the Sump is 9.5 inches in that compartment which falls inline with the skimmers recomended operating height.

The return pump is a Panworld 150 PS rated for around 1100 gph. I had to drill the Crystal 30 and place a bulk head to attach it. I was happy to do this on the Crystal Sump rather than the platinum becuase if I screwed up it would have been $1000 down the drain. It drilled pretty easily with a hole saw and some patience.

Lastly I have a Aqua UV 57 watt that all the return water will go through before heading to the DT. I decided not to go with a manifold system as I wanted optimum performance with the UV hopefully I never see Dinos.

I also did some aqua scaping and have been changing it up let me know what you think of the current build. I plan to use marco cement soon and start a cycle in a trash bin for the summer and then start up the tank in the fall.

20200521_221640.jpg 20200519_222453.jpg

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ventilate the space with a continuously running bathroom exhaust fan or somesuch to move high humidity air outside the house. This should help avoid mold and corrosion issues down the road.
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DaScubaSteve this is a great update and looks great. Quick question for you. Why are you collecting the “bad“ saltwater and waste water from your Rodi?

OP
OP
DaScubaSteve

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can pump out bad water down the gutter spout that leads to the woods instead of tieing it into my house drains that go to my septic... less load on the septic and then its nice because any water I want out I dump/pump into the garbage can instead of having to lug buckets around to a sink which are upstairs. The drain in the basement that leads to the septic is not far but I would have to tap it to put the ro waste water and bad saltwater tubes into it and then I lose the ability to get rid of buckets of water so I didnt want to do that.

Also if I run a dehumdifier I can just empty the collection bucket into the waste bin. Or I can set it up on a stand next to the bin so its high enough that I can attach a hose from the dehumidifier to gravity feed all the collected water. Which I may do If I go on vacation.

Lastly in the future I can use a seperate bin to collect the waste rodi water and use it for water the flower bed...

The other option would be to put a sink in but then i would still have to pump water to the drain above. My water source from my well is on the left just out of the picture so I can connect a hose to the fitting or right now my rodi is connected to the threaded fitting. So I got water and drainage.

In my head this setup seems bullet proof any thoughts on why this may not be ideal? other than float siwtches not working? maybe put an alarm float switch attached to the apex to notify me if the water gets to high in the waste bin.

My last house had a sump in the basement (never buy a house with a sump in the basement, basement flooded 3 times because of no battery backup) but I did like being able to throw the dehumidifier water collection into it.

OP
OP
DaScubaSteve

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here you can see the pipe going into the down spout. The outlet into the woods is beyond the fence and comes out the side of the hill. Pine trees will be gettin some water lol

20200529_162533.jpg 20200529_162539.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that’s super helpful thanks for the info! It looks like your plan is well thought out, and since I have no experience with septic or draining things into the woods I don’t have much to offer. I like the idea of reusing the rodi waste water. But I do have a question. Will the bad saltwater destroy the growth in the woods? Or doesn’t this matter?

OP
OP
DaScubaSteve

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also curious about the affect on the vegetation. The waste bin is set to hold about 5 gallons of water before it pumps out. I will be keeping an eye to see if the growing pine trees start to brown up and lose their needles. If it starts having an affect maybe ill dig down and put some gravel so the water doesnt travel to far from the drain and see if that helps.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back