Basement fish room moisture/mold in planning stages need advice? #reefsquad

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5. 120 Gallon sump and 2 29 gallon quarantine tanks with lids

I'm in the planning/purchasing build stage of 120 gallon peninsula. I want a basement fish room. I have a finished 12X12 room in my basement that would be perfect for sump and quarantine tanks.
120 Gallon sump with lids where I can and 2 29 gallon quarantine tanks. Im assuming lids will keep evaporation down equalling humidity down. (Moisture resistant sheetrock on cinderblock side of room where tanks will be located but regular painted finished sheetrock on ceiling and interior walls. Basement is very dry to be a basement.)

1. Would a dehumidify handle the humidity?

2. Can anyone tell me at what percentage humidity promotes mold growth.

I have a nice Basement and do not want to risk mold. I want to do it right preventing future problems.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small basement apartment, I have 180 gallon and 150 gallon both with 75 gallon sumps.

I run a large dehumidifier and window AC on dehumidifier mode (basically is AC mode). Humididty stays below 50% in the brutal Wi summers. Without the units the humididty gets above 75% with water dripping down walls lol.

You want below 60 for mold. Google is your friend.

OP
OP
shakey

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also put a good exhaust fan in the ceiling. You could even run it off a humidistat and might not have to purchase a dehumidifier. This is what I use on my in-wall 120.
Good to know, that would be great if I didn't need dehumidifier. Thanks.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also put a good exhaust fan in the ceiling. You could even run it off a humidistat and might not have to purchase a dehumidifier. This is what I use on my in-wall 120.

If you could spend some money up front and it would work with your place, I would do this. I have these exhaust fans in my bathrooms and they are great. You can set the humidity level, they are quiet, on a timer, and low energy. Once I installed mine and set the humidity my bathroom mirrors never fogged again. I hear it go on and off. You would need to spend the money up front to rip up the ceiling, but no maintenance after that like a dehumidifier.

OP
OP
shakey

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could spend some money up front and it would work with your place, I would do this. I have these exhaust fans in my bathrooms and they are great. You can set the humidity level, they are quiet, on a timer, and low energy. Once I installed mine and set the humidity my bathroom mirrors never fogged again. I hear it go on and off. You would need to spend the money up front to rip up the ceiling, but no maintenance after that like a dehumidifier.

That is doable. It probably wouldn't be that hard in my room. Thanks

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with added fans is that if the air that comes in is way more hot or cold u might find urself paying much more than a dehumidifier in cost of added heating or cooling. I run vents for limited time throughout the day to refresh the air in basement but rely on a dehumidifier to keep basement dry.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with added fans is that if the air that comes in is way more hot or cold u might find urself paying much more than a dehumidifier in cost of added heating or cooling. I run vents for limited time throughout the day to refresh the air in basement but rely on a dehumidifier to keep basement dry.

The fans i mentioned are DC motors and have a damper to reduce backdraft. Electrical costs and maintenance will be a lot less.

They made a huge difference in our bathrooms. We leave the fan switch on all the time now. No more steam, damp smell, or using damp-rid in the closets.

I found them at decor planet, only place that lets you apply a coupon code to them. Got both shipped less than 400.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier as well as keeping a few of these down there. https://www.lowes.com/pd/DampRid-42...6eDbZ_hoaHBszzzRvqBoCm4YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These will be your best friend. They collect water and after a year or so the bag will completely full of water from humidity. When they fill just replace them with 2-3 more. Very popular product in the marine boating industry where humidity gets very high in cabins!

OP
OP
shakey

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
shakey

shakey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fans i mentioned are DC motors and have a damper to reduce backdraft. Electrical costs and maintenance will be a lot less.

They made a huge difference in our bathrooms. We leave the fan switch on all the time now. No more steam, damp smell, or using damp-rid in the closets.

I found them at decor planet, only place that lets you apply a coupon code to them. Got both shipped less than 400.

My fan in my bathroom died. I think I might replace it with one of these also.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My concern wasnt the electrical consumption or cost of the fans. In my case air was pushed to outside of the room and was replaced by fresh air from out as well to make it dryer. Unfortunately this resulted is very cold air drawn to the room.causing heaters to run much more.

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an open top 75 gallon 20 gallon sump in my 1br apartment with no central air. I also run a 50 pint dehumidifier 24/7 set to 40% humidity. Anything above 60% makes the windows sweat and grow mold around them. I also run the ceiling fan 24/7. Before i bought my dehumidifer, it was a cool 95% humidity in my place making it feel like i was in the Amazon rain forest. If I left clothes on the floor for a few hours they would feel damp. If I didnt run the dehumidifier theres no way i could keep my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back