Basement or cabinet sump or AIO for office tank

uvaduthie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a few AIO aquariums in the past and currently have a 150g with in stand sump. Now I have space for a 20-30 gallon aquarium in my home office and am considering a few options. It would be placed on a desk built into the wall with a cabinet underneath (although the cabinet is not very large (22X17X17):

1. AIO: would be really easy to set up and install, not really requiring any drilling or modifications to the desk/office. however, may be a bit of noise and clutter above the tank and not much space for equipment (and not much room above the tank as well due to cabinets above the desk)

2. Basement sump: would be great to allow me to increase total water volume and reduce noise in my office. Im concerned a bit about plumbing though as id have drill through my hardwood floors or go through the wall (neither of which im very experienced with)

3. sump in cabinet: not much space and might take up space needed to hide other equipment.

What do you think? Is a basement sump overkill for this? Is there enough space in the cabinet for a useful sump

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure there are a variety of opinions about your question. With a small tank in this situation, I personally would go with the AIO. Good luck!

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do basement because the maintenance will be so much easier.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you're stocking goals and maintenance goals are for the tank. If doing SPS dominated, I'd go basement sump for extra equipment and stability. Otherwise, I'd go in stand sump. I'm not personally a fan of the AIO tanks, but that's just me. Basement sump might be overkill for a 20-30 gallon aquarium though.

Back