Basement Sump design - planning stages of new tank

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saying take 1.5" pipe right to the tank then switch to dual 1" returns there. Dual 1" from the sump probably wouldn't help a whole lot lol. I need to give up my MRC6100, the pump is amazing but rediculously overpowered for even my basement sump setup. I've had to dial it back so much. I think the back pressure is causing a TON of vibration. And you can feel/hear it in my floors. I wish I could toss my sump in the garage (And so does my wife) but our cold months do not help there lol
On your vibration, try silicone 2" ID fro McMaster Carr ........ It made my vibration disappear completely.

I just ordered a 12" long piece for each of my pumps, and installed them with band clamps around 1 1/2" pvc about 12" off of pump outlet . Best $50.00 I ever spent.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose/high-...ft-rubber-tubing-for-food-beverage-and-dairy/

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your vibration, try silicone 2" ID fro McMaster Carr ........ It made my vibration disappear completely.

I just ordered a 12" long piece for each of my pumps, and installed them with band clamps around 1 1/2" pvc about 12" off of pump outlet . Best $50.00 I ever spent.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose/high-...ft-rubber-tubing-for-food-beverage-and-dairy/

While that would solve part of my issue, I do think the pump needs to be moved entirely. It sits on the same shelf the sump sits and that shelf is screwed directly into the studs. So the vibrations transfer right into the wall. My Display will be moving down to the basement this summer so I will be downsizing my return then anyway. I'll definately get the silicone for my next pump though regardless :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back