Basic Feeding questions

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I know feeding has lots of opinions but I’m starting to question my (basic) methods after many years of doing things the same way.

Current setup has 2 - 4” tangs, a 6” tang and a large clownfish. Mixed reef. No SPS. Planning to add more but I’m looking to make sure I’m checking all the boxes first.

Generally I feed frozen food (and basically always hikari). As it’s primarily tangs, I’ve been feeding mostly spirulina brine shrimp. I throw in frozen rotifers as well. Throw pieces in a cup. Scoop tank water. Dump in once thawed. With the current tank size, I use two cubes worth of food and it goes pretty fast and nitrates are in check. I add some nori occasionally as well

I see a lot of people rinse their frozen food, but I was always under the impression the cloudy stuff was good for corals.

So either way, I’m curious about a couple things.

1. I’ve never had luck with pellet food, but I see people always talk about adding more variety. I’d love some specific examples of other foods people use for a similar fish crowd. As long as they are eating does it matter (to an extent) which kinds of (high quality) foods go in?

2. Technique - do you really need to rinse frozen food? Are there additives that can go with the current plan?

I know this is a broad topic but I always see posts about what kinds of food are good, how to check nutrition content, don’t feed junk, etc etc etc. I rarely see posts on specifically what routines people have with specific foods for their tanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I give my fish 3x pellet feedings per day. It's a mix of algae pellets, regular pellets and Nyos pellets for variety (something for everyone). In terms of frozen, they get mysis, brine and Calanus.

2. I used to, but it's honestly too much of a PITA and my nutrients are on the lower end of the scale (so they can use the occasional boost anyway). I do include a dew supplements like garlic and aminos.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

regarding flakes, I alternate Vitalis Platinum, Mysis RS and calanus flakes. I feed twice per day. In addition, every evening I offer Nyos Goldpods. I have a luck and all my fish eat everything. In the morning, I also offer a garlic-soaked nori sheet, but only two fish eat it (both herbivores). The rest of fish is ignoring it.:)

Moreover, I feed frozen food (DIY) twice per week and never rinse it. I dont believe it can significantly contribute to the N/P levels. Again, all of my fish like it.

Happy reefing.

OP
OP
Protodad

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

regarding flakes, I alternate Vitalis Platinum, Mysis RS and calanus flakes. I feed twice per day. In addition, every evening I offer Nyos Goldpods. I have a luck and all my fish eat everything. In the morning, I also offer a garlic-soaked nori sheet, but only two fish eat it (both herbivores). The rest of fish is ignoring it.:)

Moreover, I feed frozen food (DIY) twice per week and never rinse it. I dont believe it can significantly contribute to the N/P levels. Again, all of my fish like it.

Happy reefing.
How do you keep it in the tank? Any time I’ve used flakes or floating pellets they go right down the overflow.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep it in the tank? Any time I’ve used flakes or floating pellets they go right down the overflow.
One of my powerheads is close to overflow returning the food back to the center of the tank, so maybe this is the reason. I also recommend to dont simply put the flakes on surface. I always release it under the water to make them suspended througout the tank. The fact is that only neglectable amount of food goes to sump.

Back