Basic H. Erectus Seahorse Information!

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Over the next few days, I will be compiling some information that I've picked up about H. Erectus Seahorses.

TONS of information can be found in Seahorse.org's library.
Link here: seahorse.org - Library

Hopefully this will kick start some interest in our new section!

Here is what I can start with:

- Seahorses do NOT belong in reef tanks. There are many fish and coral that are compatible with them, but most are not. Docile fish such as Cardinals are an example of what is permissible to keep with Seahorses.
- H. Erectus Seahorses can reach a size of up to 8" in length. This being the case, I would recommend a minimum tank height of 18", and a tank with a water volume no less than 29g for a single pair. The rule of thumb is 1 Seahorse per 7g, but I personally think it should be 1 per 10g.
- It is a common misconception that Seahorses do not like flow, however that is not the case. Seahorses will often times play in the flow. As long as they have many places to rest, and the current isn't too strong there shouldn't be any issues.
- Seahorses love to hitch to things. So it is an absolute necessity to have many hitching posts available for them.
- H. Erectus Seahorses need to be fed at least two times daily.
- Temperature in your tank should not exceed 74 degrees fahrenheit. Higher temperatures will often result in your Seahorses contracting some sort of bacterial infection.
- Just as any other fish, Seahorses can be very finicky when it comes to changes in water quality. As you will be keeping your tank fed heavily, it is crucial that you maintain a weekly water changing routine. A highly powered skimmer is also very useful.
- Heaters should not be kept in the main tank. Seahorses will often try to use these as hitching posts and burn their tails.
- Mated pairs often have fry every two weeks. My largest male has his babies every 15-18 days on the dot. Broods can range in the hundreds for larger, older males.
-Most SOFT and Leather coral species are okay to keep with your Seahorses.
-SPS CAN be kept with Seahorses, however you run the risk of the Seahorses irritating the SPS too much, causing their polyps to retract making them unable to feed.

Common coral and fish that should NOT be kept with Seahorses:

Corals:
Elegance Coral
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Hammer Coral
Long or Short Tentacle Plate
Bubble Corals
Tongue Coral
Elephant Ear Mushrooms
Fuzzy Mushrooms
Yellow Finger Gorgonians

Fish:
Anemones
Clams
Lobsters
Lionfish
Puffer Fish
Jellyfish
Damsels
Most Crabs
Urchins
Sea Apples
Cukes
Angels
Butterflys
Eels
Rabbitfish
Rays
Triggers
Tangs
Clowns (Some have had success keeping Osc. and Percs, but temperament varies from fish to fish).
Anthias

I will add more daily, and PLEASE feel free to correct me if I am off on any of this information! :angel:

And a BIG THANK YOU to Gar732 for getting us our own section!

Last edited:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. Can't wait to read more.

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the water volume "water volume no less than 20g for a single pair" , the current recommendation is 29 gallon per pair of the larger species (H. erectus/H.reidi).

OP
OP
B

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the sticky, Skinz!

Also, thanks for correcting me, Beth! I will change that. :D

MechEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooks, thanks for getting the info up, Id like to know your actual experience vs reading knowledge. I have been keeping/breeding seahorses for 5+ yrs and love to discuss about them. I just got this tappatalk thing working on my phone and going to start a thread/gallery. Looking forward to collaborating.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brooks, thanks for getting the info up, Id like to know your actual experience vs reading knowledge. I have been keeping/breeding seahorses for 5+ yrs and love to discuss about them. I just got this tappatalk thing working on my phone and going to start a thread/gallery. Looking forward to collaborating.

I would love to hear about your experiences! :)

MechEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a preview, looking forward to collaborating with ppl on seahorse keeping :)

uploadfromtaptalk1397027518601.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! :)

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses will often times play in the flow

That's what I found too. My Reidi would grab onto the spraybar and put his head right into the output of it, causing him to shake back and forth. He'd loose grip, float around, and come back and grab the spraybar again and slid to the end of it and do it over again :)

As for feeding, how much will an adult Erectus eat in a day?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just got a pair of H erectus seahorses. I asked for 2 females because I am not set up to raise fry. Well I suspect Adam and Eve consummated their union last Friday. If I can't find someone who wants to try raising the fry, what is the gentlest means of euthanizing them?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently just got a pair of H erectus seahorses. I asked for 2 females because I am not set up to raise fry. Well I suspect Adam and Eve consummated their union last Friday. If I can't find someone who wants to try raising the fry, what is the gentlest means of euthanizing them?
Great news, I posted on our local reef club's forum and I got a taker on the baby seahorse fry! He's setting a tank up this weekend for them so I am so happy and relieved.

oodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Man I'm sad after reading this I have wanted a sea horse
image.jpeg
and I have a lot of things you say I can't have in my tank is there any horse that is able too be in my tank ?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why cant you have gorgonians and are leather corals ok?
You can have both leathers and gorgonians in with seahorses. You should not have stinging coral like anemones, frogspawn, hammers or any coral with sweeper tentacles that sting. Since seahorses have skin which is not armored like scales that other fish have, they can be seriously injured by stinging coral.

Seahorse.org has a good list of compatibility of tank mates for seahorses. Its a little out dated but is still a good guide.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back