Basic Medicine Cabinet (Canadian)

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I'm new to the hobby, living in Canada, and trying to think ahead to be ready to treat any issues with fish as I introduce them. I have an Evo 13.5 running barebottom with cured dry rock for QT and am leaning toward close observation and treatment if necessary over universal copper use. My DT is a 40g AIO from Cobalt that's only been wet for about 14 days. I will have a mixed reef with many inverts, soft and LPS corals, and fish.

I've looked at Humblefish's meds to have on hand, but most are inaccessible in Canada. I do want to be prepared to treat in the QT if needed, I plan on keeping it running.. Here what I seem to be able to find from Canadian sellers:

Polyguard, Melafix, Copper Blue, Coppersafe, Copper-Aid, Nox-Ich, Ich Attack, Methylene Blue, ParaCleanse, and Kanaplex (stupidly expensive). What stuff in this list is worth buying?

I just took a leap to order some stuff through Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca from sellers in the US, but I'm not sure if they will make it across to me.

I've also looked at some articles about H202 as a treatment for parasites and as a dip. The TTM looks complicated and seems to require yet another spare tank setup with its own gear. I've also considered keeping a black Molly in QT, but it feels a bit ethically uncomfortable to me because I don't currently have a way to rehome after treatment if it gets sick, apart from lfs.

I'm afraid of having to watch fish suffer and die of treatable things because I don't have the right meds on hand. Can you help me have a plan, so I'm as prepared as I can be, given what's available to me?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi folks,

I'm new to the hobby, living in Canada, and trying to think ahead to be ready to treat any issues with fish as I introduce them. I have an Evo 13.5 running barebottom with cured dry rock for QT and am leaning toward close observation and treatment if necessary over universal copper use. My DT is a 40g AIO from Cobalt that's only been wet for about 14 days. I will have a mixed reef with many inverts, soft and LPS corals, and fish.

I've looked at Humblefish's meds to have on hand, but most are inaccessible in Canada. I do want to be prepared to treat in the QT if needed, I plan on keeping it running.. Here what I seem to be able to find from Canadian sellers:

Polyguard, Melafix, Copper Blue, Coppersafe, Copper-Aid, Nox-Ich, Ich Attack, Methylene Blue, ParaCleanse, and Kanaplex (stupidly expensive). What stuff in this list is worth buying?

I just took a leap to order some stuff through Amazon.ca and Walmart.ca from sellers in the US, but I'm not sure if they will make it across to me.

I've also looked at some articles about H202 as a treatment for parasites and as a dip. The TTM looks complicated and seems to require yet another spare tank setup with its own gear. I've also considered keeping a black Molly in QT, but it feels a bit ethically uncomfortable to me because I don't currently have a way to rehome after treatment if it gets sick, apart from lfs.

I'm afraid of having to watch fish suffer and die of treatable things because I don't have the right meds on hand. Can you help me have a plan, so I'm as prepared as I can be, given what's available to me?

Thanks!
While I can tell you what is best to keep, I know canada is very limited but try to match what you cant get

Ich: Coppersafe

Bacteria: Seachem kanaplex, Maracyn 2, Seachem Neoplex

Flukes and worms: Praziquantel A/K/A Prazi Pro by Hikari

Copper test kit ( hanna or salifert brand)

General treatment and bath : Ruby Rally Pro

Brooklynella (clowns) and Uronema: Formalin ( Guick-Cure ) and Ruby rally will work slower

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back