Bathroom Cabinet Stand for Nuvo 20 and 40

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends,

I am moving next month and figured I would upgrade when I move my tank. I currently have a Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 peninsula that is on a stand I made from a bathroom cabinet at Lowe's. I've never had any issues with it. I took the measurements and realized a Nuvo 40 tank would fit on it. Tank dimensions are 20 x 24 and the cabinet dimensions are 32 x 20. So it matches up perfectly width wise, and I would place the tank in the middle so there is 4 inches of countertop space on either side of the tank.

Want opinions on whether this is doable. The IM 20 peninsula is a small tank so I wasn't really concerned about weight bearing, but the 40 would be double the size. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much time I would have to reinforce, I could potentially set up the 20 at my new place while I reinforce the stand if I have to, but I'd rather make the move all in one day.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks so much.

Below are pictures of the stand and the tank I am considering. :)

Photo Apr 18, 1 20 43 PM.jpg Photo Apr 18, 1 20 52 PM.jpg 1618768376457.png

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only stuff I did to the stand was add a solid wooden board for the back (the back was just a thin piece of cardboard) and a solid wood top.

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cabinet wood or particleboard? The filled 40 is ~400lbs. It looks pretty solid. If it is wood no problem. If particleboard it is also probably good as long as it doesn't get wet. The solid back and top helps. How about getting some 0.5"x3" boards (0.5" or match thickness to left/right overhang of the top) and make something like this picture on the exterior left/right sides, so that it almost matches the look of the front door/drawer panels.

Presentation1.jpg

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been looking at cabinets recently to redo our kitchen and bathrooms. There is a good selection of attractive cabinets made entirely of plywood available, rather than the veneered particleboard stuff that is common at big box stores. I'd stick with plywood boxes which should not need reinforcing for this size of tank.

OP
OP
Ancarol2421

Ancarol2421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet is particle board not plywood. I don’t want to buy another stand if I can avoid it, so I’ll just reinforce it for peace of mind. Thanks for the suggestions!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back