• Total voters

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salt-dance.gif

Im getting ready to convert my system to an AWC-only setup, eliminating dosing altogether and allowing the salt mix to replenish cal/alk/mag/etc. Its a mostly LPS system with lower demands and I want to automate and simplify its maintenance as much as possible. Its a 68g system that I will prob initially setup to change out around 2-3g/day.

When I do this, im going to switch from RSCP to a cheaper salt - either Fritz RPM (or redline I guess) or Reef Crystals. Has anybody else been using these salts long term and have a preference? I know that both have had some consistency issues in the past, but are there any current red flags I need to know about?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for Fritz Redline but I hope you are planning on draining and filling and not just exchanging water and the same time. If you were to do it at the same time keeping the drain and fill as far apart as possible would be ideal.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for Fritz Redline but I hope you are planning on draining and filling and not just exchanging water and the same time. If you were to do it at the same time keeping the drain and fill as far apart as possible would be ideal.
yeah I had a smaller version setup on my zoa garden before with some dosing pumps - it starts filling on the right return side (AIO) and pulls from the left (filter-sock) side

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals here. Have used it for years and years. My first memories of saltwater tanks were of my dads snowflake eels when I was a child, he used instant ocean. Never had a problem, so never felt the need to change.

I’ve heard people say it doesn’t store well. But I’ve never had any problems with that either. Sometimes I have had buckets of salt water that I had sitting for a month or a little longer (sealed right all the way). Would just warm it up and mix it up for a little bit before using. Never any issues.

Reef crystals can “mix dirty” according to some. But I’ve not had this issue. Sometimes there is some residue on the pump. I’ve generally found that whenever any sort of precipitate or gunk or whatever would appear it was when I was mixing with a heater in it. Now I mix without a heater and just warm it up before changing the water. Also, you can put a small piece of filter floss or filter sock over the intake for the mixing pump and it’ll also get rid of any of that if you happen to experience it.

Can’t beat it for the price, goes on sale often for super cheap!

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about Fritz but Reef Crystals doesn't store well. It won't keep its alkalinity up after a few days of storage
yeah the precipitate is one of my chief concerns since hopefully I wouldn't need to mix a new batch more than once every few weeks. Not expecting either to stay at the fresh mix ratio the whole time, but ideally it wouldn't drop too much over time

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals can “mix dirty” according to some. But I’ve not had this issue. Sometimes there is some residue on the pump. I’ve generally found that whenever any sort of precipitate or gunk or whatever would appear it was when I was mixing with a heater in it. Now I mix without a heater and just warm it up before changing the water. Also, you can put a small piece of filter floss or filter sock over the intake for the mixing pump and it’ll also get rid of any of that if you happen to experience it.

Can’t beat it for the price, goes on sale often for super cheap!
Yeah I think both Fritz and RC can mix a little dirty - I have used RPM in the past, but never payed attention much to level changes after storage.

I can get either one locally for $55 a 200g box. I haven't seen RC deals better than that in the last several months online since inflation kicked up

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left RC back when they stopped making cola, but if those are your only choices go to I.O salts. Or do you tank a favor and stick with the salt its used to. Don't go chasing waterfalls, stick to the rivers and streams that your use tooooo
giphy.gif

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 90's, just the best for movies and music

I love me some TLC, only thing better is a little spice girls
You are telling me what I want, what I really really want to hear.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah the precipitate is one of my chief concerns since hopefully I wouldn't need to mix a new batch more than once every few weeks. Not expecting either to stay at the fresh mix ratio the whole time, but ideally it wouldn't drop too much over time
I misspoke and was thinking Red Sea Coral Pro with the lower alkalinity after storage.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back