!!!BATTLEBOX NAMES OPTION??? WHAT THE HECK IS IT DUDE???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Question I do seem to get asked a lot about my Battleboxes, is what exactly does the names option really mean? And that is a great question indeed. And one I will try to answer here right now.

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 10.22.38 AM.png

You see, it's no secret that I am working hard to phase out names on my site.(see no glitz mode.)

But this question looms for sure. So I'll try to explain. When you buy a Battlebox, or when you are about to buy a Battlebox rather, you have two drop down options to choose. One says something like I want names. The other one says no I don't care. And I completely understand confusion on this one because it would seem that checking one box means you'll get a bunch of named coral and checking the other box might imply that I'm gonna send you a bunch of no namers. When in fact that is not actually the case at all.

Originally this idea was simply set up to establish whether I included the names on the bags of the coral that I sent. Meaning that if you check the names boxes, all of your bags would be labeled so you know what you had gotten. If you checked no names, I would leave the bags unlabeled. Seems simple enough right? But this posed a problem for me as lots of people are repeat customers and I needed a way to keep track of individual orders so I wouldn't send duplicates in future orders.

So, ultimately this option kind of ended up being moot as I found myself labeling all the bags anyway, and keeping that list with my records so I wouldn't have any issues with duplicates.

Got all that? I'll sum it up. If you do check the no names option all that really does at this point is tell me that you are like me and not as interested in goofy coral names. Which I applaud! But all of you bags will still be labeled. If you say "yes I want names" same thing applies only you'll be telling me that you are interested in names and I promise I will think no less of you. :). No harm in choosing either option.

Any questions???>

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 10.22.07 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like names just not renaming lol.
Once I started noticing other vendors blatantly using some of my sillier names as their own. That really helped push me beyond all the name game nonsense. And like having “name this coral” contests.
I mean come on. Maybe 10 years ago that was fun. But just seems ultra lame now

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only like names in that I can research or talk to others about what conditions it may prefer or how to maximize color for that strain.... and to weed out chop shop frags. If something has a name that I can trace back a few years, then I know its probably well acclimated to tank life. Seems more important now with the influx of tenuis. Orange passion, Walt Disney and homewrecker are easy to spot and have been around for a while. If we were better at IDing acro species, it might be better. my reasoning only applies to acros. I don't care about names on LPS or softies cause they'll probably do well no matter where they go.

That being said, I don't pick a coral be cause it has a name or doesn't have a name. If a 30 year old ORA coral looks good, I'll take that over a rebranded shortcake of the week strain any day.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the names of most of my stuff. Sure the popular ones are easy enough but I don't really care what they're called. I do like having the names when I get them in a battlebox because it's cool to look up the colony pics on your site. And also gauge how good of a deal I got vs buying individually...haha.

But most of my interest is in having an idea of what they'll hopefully look like in the long run to help decide on tank placement.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like names. Helps me keep track of what I have so if I lose something I can replace it and it keeps everyone on the same page for what something is. No names are fine also, but if I have something I really like and lose it, it'd be nice to be able to get it again. Also give me an idea of what it can look like.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like names. Helps me keep track of what I have so if I lose something I can replace it and it keeps everyone on the same page for what something is. No names are fine also, but if I have something I really like and lose it, it'd be nice to be able to get it again. Also give me an idea of what it can look like.
Fair enough! and without a doubt the most valid reason I could justify keeping the name thing going. But, if we tried harder to use species names over hobby names do you think it would play into categorization and record keeping at all. I mean after the third pink hyacinth comes along it may get hairy lol. Yours is a super valid point.

I’ll admit the purpose of this thread wasn’t really to rehash the relevancy of the name game. Rather to explain my names option
But it can be a tough one to avoid whenever name chat goes on lol.
Either way. I appreciate the feedback guys!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't remember the names of most of my stuff. Sure the popular ones are easy enough but I don't really care what they're called. I do like having the names when I get them in a battlebox because it's cool to look up the colony pics on your site. And also gauge how good of a deal I got vs buying individually...haha.

But most of my interest is in having an idea of what they'll hopefully look like in the long run to help decide on tank placement.
Actually I hear this a lot too. Does seem like many folks don’t pay that much attention once they are in the tank.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
and of course if you really do not wish to know the names at all, I can always leave the name off the bag but still keep the record here to avoid duplicates. echoing what a few people already mentioned names certainly are the most convent way to keep track of things. so there is that ...

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like names to know what I have. At the same time, I also forget the names. I know I have Bloodbank and Acroberry. Beyond that I couldn’t name some others that my anemones didn’t kill yet.

That said, I think it’d be fun to switch it to what you say it’s not, where you give out a bunch of unnamed corals you haven’t named yet.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I do seem to get asked a lot about my Battleboxes, is what exactly does the names option really mean? And that is a great question indeed. And one I will try to answer here right now.

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 10.22.38 AM.png

You see, it's no secret that I am working hard to phase out names on my site.(see no glitz mode.)

But this question looms for sure. So I'll try to explain. When you buy a Battlebox, or when you are about to buy a Battlebox rather, you have two drop down options to choose. One says something like I want names. The other one says no I don't care. And I completely understand confusion on this one because it would seem that checking one box means you'll get a bunch of named coral and checking the other box might imply that I'm gonna send you a bunch of no namers. When in fact that is not actually the case at all.

Originally this idea was simply set up to establish whether I included the names on the bags of the coral that I sent. Meaning that if you check the names boxes, all of your bags would be labeled so you know what you had gotten. If you checked no names, I would leave the bags unlabeled. Seems simple enough right? But this posed a problem for me as lots of people are repeat customers and I needed a way to keep track of individual orders so I wouldn't send duplicates in future orders.

So, ultimately this option kind of ended up being moot as I found myself labeling all the bags anyway, and keeping that list with my records so I wouldn't have any issues with duplicates.

Got all that? I'll sum it up. If you do check the no names option all that really does at this point is tell me that you are like me and not as interested in goofy coral names. Which I applaud! But all of you bags will still be labeled. If you say "yes I want names" same thing applies only you'll be telling me that you are interested in names and I promise I will think no less of you. :). No harm in choosing either option.

Any questions???>

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 10.22.07 AM.png
I like names but understand the silliness. Helps with the organization of what you got, what you had, & whatcha want…. Adam, Not sure how you organize your Great Barrier Reef but would assume it might be harder if there wasn’t a name for certain corals you grow. Maybe not…
Grateful Dead Anaheim GIF

What shall we say, shall we call it by a name
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in
We will not speak but stand inside the rain
And listen to the thunder shout
I am, I am, I am, I am

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like what you are saying about coral names... but wow your posts sure are extremely hard on the eyes.

Bolded, exotic and non-standard fonts are extremely distracting and fatiguing for most people to read. So much so that studies show a significant decrease in absorption and processing of information and understanding when people are forced to read lengthy bolded or no standard font text, as well as increasing the time to read 2x-5x for the same length of standard font text.

Sorry to be so blunt - but I think your posts are interesting, I just can't bare to read them.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like what you are saying about coral names... but wow your posts sure are extremely hard on the eyes.

Bolded, exotic and non-standard fonts are extremely distracting and fatiguing for most people to read. So much so that studies show a significant decrease in absorption and processing of information and understanding when people are forced to read lengthy bolded or no standard font text, as well as increasing the time to read 2x-5x for the same length of standard font text.

Sorry to be so blunt - but I think your posts are interesting, I just can't bare to read them.
Thanks for the feedback. Truly! I definitely need to hear stuff like this. I’ve admired your wisdom for years, since way back on RC. I even know the actual story behind your username:). Regarding a sports jersey. But oddly enough, this is the very first time we have ever interacted.

Anyway.

Curious, do you normally read on your phone or desktop. I think these may appear better on a desktop which is where
I do 100% of my writing. I have honestly never even considered what you mentioned though in all these years. Makes good sense to me.

Again I really appreciate the feedback. The font is just the default one, same one you used. But the bold type is all me lol, and I’ll confess I have no idea when or why i really started doing that. And can also say that I do find it easier to read personally. But I absolutely believe you, and the last thing I want is to turn people away because of something like that. Very much in my control.

If someone doesn’t like the content, well that is what it is. But in cases like yours where you’re physically struggling to read the words, that’s no good! I can fix that.

Just know that feedback is always welcome and very much appreciated. Thank you for mentioning this. And great to officially make your acquaintance

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Truly! I definitely need to hear stuff like this. I’ve admired your wisdom for years, since way back on RC. I even know the actual story behind your username:). Regarding a sports jersey. But oddly enough, this is the very first time we have ever interacted.

Anyway.

Curious, do you normally read on your phone or desktop. I think these may appear better on a desktop which is where
I do 100% of my writing. I have honestly never even considered what you mentioned though in all these years. Makes good sense to me.

Again I really appreciate the feedback. The font is just the default one, same one you used. But the bold type is all me lol, and I’ll confess I have no idea when or why i really started doing that. And can also say that I do find it easier to read personally. But I absolutely believe you, and the last thing I want is to turn people away because of something like that. Very much in my control.

If someone doesn’t like the content, well that is what it is. But in cases like yours where you’re physically struggling to read the words, that’s no good! I can fix that.

Just know that feedback is always welcome and very much appreciated. Thank you for mentioning this. And great to officially make your acquaintance

DRAT

I just hopped back on to edit the post after walking away and realizing it likely came over far more blunt than I meant it to be. I am still not good at that after all of these years and maybe I should have DM'd instead of posting at all.

To answer your question. I read on a 30 monitor, iPad Pro and sometimes my phone.

I owned a IT consulting form for over 2 decades. I used to have perfect vision and could never understand people complaining about small or non-standard fonts. I thought they were just being picky or crazy.

That was then... I wear reading glasses now and it has drastically changed my comfort level in almost every aspect of life. I have spent my entire life as an avid reader. Fiction, non-fiction and anything technical or interesting that I can/could get my hands or the rabbit hole leads me to. Reading is now a rather uncomfortable undertaking.

So in a nutshell I am old and maybe grumpier than I used to be and could be in the minority esp If I am the only one to say something!

As for the typefaces and styles - it really is an interesting subject (even If i sounded like a jerk). It is amazing what simply changing a typeface can do for reading comprehension. That in itself is a reading rabbit hole that I once traveled down. ;)

Thank you for the kind words, but I am just another guy with a fish tank. It is nice to meet you as well and bold font or not will be placing an order sometime soon.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like names to keep track of what I have and also to understand the value when it comes to trading with other fellow reefers especially when it comes to pieces I get from a quality vendor like yourself. I totally appreciate your thought process on the name craze and I honestly agree with you on a lot of it but when we purchase from someone like you it’s something I guess we are proud of and want to maintain as a selective piece. Idk maybe that’s just my opinion…regardless since I have checked out your site for the first time I have appreciate how genuine you are when it comes to this stuff…depending on where you look it can be a breath of fresh air.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
DRAT

I just hopped back on to edit the post after walking away and realizing it likely came over far more blunt than I meant it to be. I am still not good at that after all of these years and maybe I should have DM'd instead of posting at all.

To answer your question. I read on a 30 monitor, iPad Pro and sometimes my phone.

I owned a IT consulting form for over 2 decades. I used to have perfect vision and could never understand people complaining about small or non-standard fonts. I thought they were just being picky or crazy.

That was then... I wear reading glasses now and it has drastically changed my comfort level in almost every aspect of life. I have spent my entire life as an avid reader. Fiction, non-fiction and anything technical or interesting that I can/could get my hands or the rabbit hole leads me to. Reading is now a rather uncomfortable undertaking.

So in a nutshell I am old and maybe grumpier than I used to be and could be in the minority esp If I am the only one to say something!

As for the typefaces and styles - it really is an interesting subject (even If i sounded like a jerk). It is amazing what simply changing a typeface can do for reading comprehension. That in itself is a reading rabbit hole that I once traveled down. ;)

Thank you for the kind words, but I am just another guy with a fish tank. It is nice to meet you as well and bold font or not will be placing an order sometime soon.
Truth, is if is wasn't for guys like you I wouldn't be where I am now. You are being way modest! Not many folks in the hobby have eponymous engineering accomplishments that have impacted the hobby, long term as positively. Beans' silent, syphon, overflow has become the gold standard for most if not all tank manufacturers!

A large part of effective learning on internet forums is figuring out who to listen to and who to ignore. Like I said above I've been reading his posts and learning from them for years.

Any insight on what I can do or change to improve my brand or appeal is very much appreciated! I know, I know, I'm a bit of a brown noser here but when people you respect have something to say, you listen! Simple as that. Lol. Going to turn the clock back and reformat some of these write-ups for sure.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this is an old thread but I’ve heard great things about you as a vendor and plan on ordering from you soon.

As a new reefer, it is really strange seeing all the names of all of this coral. I understand the need for classification ease, but it’s really weird to me to be buying a living creature called something like “zombie apocalypse zoa”. When I go to Home Depot, I’m not usually buying “Death destroyer day Lillie’s”, and when I go to the pet store, I’m not buying a “Satan’s succubus mini schnauzer”. It’s very weird to me.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should just be called the acropora sp. button hahahaha I saw the button the other day and pressed it (thought it was a light filter option or something) but ever time I hovered over a coral I liked it was just called acropora sp. . . what gives!!! I want the cool names back!!!!

Back