BATTLECORALS ACRO POLL 2021, 2024 additional addendum added

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

You tell me! What types of SPS would you like to see more of at Battlecorals?

• Millis

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Tenuis

Votes: 73 32.0%
  • Stags

Votes: 42 18.4%
  • Tables

Votes: 49 21.5%
  • Oddballs

Votes: 62 27.2%
  • Smooth Skins

Votes: 70 30.7%
  • Stylos

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • Montis

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No namers

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Dude, the site is perfect, don't you dare change a thing.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • 2024 addendum: specosia? anyone

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • um, sorry I am an idiot. that's "speciosa"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ACRO POLL-4.png

I’d like to think that I have developed a pretty decent understanding of the particular types of Acros people are drawn to. Most of my orders are Battleboxes and I hear a lot of “millis and tenuis please” when it comes to people's preferences on what they will receive. This is understandable to me for a couple of reasons. The first of which being that they are probably the most recognizable and easiest to identify. We are confident when we say we like millis because we are certain that’s what they are. The same goes for tenuis I’d say. The second reason being, If you’re still with me, that they are simply more commonly seen in the hobby as a whole. Tenuis especially these days. So, right. Got that on check-a-rooney dude. Noting really surprising there or revelation-ous. (definitely not a word) but you catch my drift) Anyway, simply put we tend to like what we know.

So, I’m sitting here and I'm thinking. No, actually that is a lie. I had the thought earlier while I was exercising, but anyway, I'm thinking I'd like to know, and by know I mean quantify what you guys like and more specifically what you’d like the see more of from my end. I generally gravitate towards oddballs and rarer coloration patterns, and the heft of my collection was built on this foundational abstract for sure. But the time has come for you guys to play a role in growing my inventory, and to accomplish this I just put a super simple poll together asking exactly that.

This is kind of a broad-brushed approach as far as the poll options go but roll with it. Indulge me, please. What types of SPS would you guys like to see more of on the site? I'll admit I am super curious about this. Please feel free to comment as well. If I left anything out please don't hesitate to let me know

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I need more no namers " the odd balls as you stated" that are colorful and unique!
All the fancy name calling is getting old!
I personally shop based on what looks good to me not what people think is rare!
Maybe the prices won't be that crazy if we just stick to not labeling these corals and just make them more affordable for everyone to grab!

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personal I love all your different tables. Though I was just on your site and most of your Milli’s are sold out so I guess people like them! Tenuis are nice but the market is really getting saturated with a few sellers now selling mostly only Tenuis and there are only so many that look that different.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need more no namers " the odd balls as you stated" that are colorful and unique!
Maybe the prices won't be that crazy if we just stick to not labeling these corals and just make them more affordable for everyone to grab!

Very refreshing! I have had a pretty cool conceptual overhaul in the works regarding this actually. coup,e years in the making now so you could say it's been a really slow go. But this is the kind of feedback I need to hear! thanks!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am over the silly names too. The only reason I stick with ‘named’ pieces is so that I have a reasonable idea on what it will look like when it grows in. Small frags of some unknown coral is hard to justify adding to your collection, especially at today’s prices.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very refreshing! I have had a pretty cool conceptual overhaul in the works regarding this actually. coup,e years in the making now so you could say it's been a really slow go. But this is the kind of feedback I need to hear! thanks!
I have to say to this day one of my favorites in my tank is a no name and to be honest - people notice it before ANY Tenuis in my tank.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have never kept acros, I like no names due to cost generally. However one of the biggest things that always drives me back to wanting SPS time and again are the true tables and efflos and a. Valida. That’s just me though. You hardly see the efflos any more, though I think I saw it on your site once (haven’t looked recently).

Patrick Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pros and cons of name calling.

1.Pro
a. Way easier to keep tabs on as it grows, puts a name with the face so to speak.
b. It's easier to Google what it will look like in the end. ( sometimes )
c. If I Google battle corals ##named acro it comes up.
d. Names equal value, value equal investment. Alot of people are more likely to be on their game with named Vs cheap. As far as tank parameters and maintenance.
e. As an investment it should detract people that shouldn't be trying acros anyway. Just my opinion.

2.Cons
a. Obviously prices are higher/ or will they be? Sometimes a no name can become exspensive. Alot of you are still stuck in Preban mind set. I'm sorry it's just never gonna be the same again.
b. People want no name cause they want cheap... simple as that. This isn't a hobby for a cheap skate anymore. It's not like it was 20 years ago.
c. Everyone has a different name for the same coral.
d. We aren't stupid all vendors swap with each other then change the name also.. seen it several times.

In close the question is what to do?
... If people want the cheaper no color no name that fine. But there has to be a way or name to identify the coral as that vendors piece.
I would propose the idea of handing down pedigree papers like AKC for dogs. Just a certificate that says you had originally bought this from XX BATTLE CORALS. And you can pass the lineage on
With that I would hope the next vendor that gets that piece would pass on the lineage paper.
Obviously this can be flawed and faked as can almost anything else in this day and age.

Now what do we do about vendors getting the same no names and naming them something different at the exact same time in history? Then you would still have 2 names same piece.

Battle Corals ( Adam ) you guys grow awesome coral. Whatever you decide to do in the future I support that decision. I personally like seeing the "proven " bright colored Corals you have. They are freaking fantastic. maybe a tier system where ya pay for how many colors a coral has...lol then people still be complaining. There's alot of True Collectors out there like me that are willing to pay premium prices for a named coral. On the other hand begginers need entry level acros.... guess that's what this really boils down to.

Just my $5 worth enjoy and this is friendly conversation don't rag on me too bad. I get both points of view.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love some of the speciosa and more Deepwater sticks I've been seeing these days. Some of the coloration is crazy. That being said, I wouldn't change much Adam I've always loved your sticks that you hand pick to Aquaculture.

DCMW1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love everything you already offer. I think your selection is amazing. If there was one thing that would make me like the site even more would be a WYSIWG section.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back