Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are the only one to receive a fresh cut. Do you think this has helped with the growth? Kind of like when a coral is stalled on growth and you cut a branch it will sometimes get it to start growing.
Honestly I don't !!!

When you see my history and posts in my build thread you will notice I have been taken care of minor trace elements that were extremely insufficient low such as Bromine, Barium and some others. Fluoride has made a huge difference in colorization and growth after that was lifted up ;-)

I do not feed anymore and do not use Aminos while I'm testing my own Trace Element line, just to see the effect of missing trace elements! The bad salt batch was bothering me on one side, but also has proven the importance again. I'm glad I could continue after the flood and got repeatedly the same results on my own system rather than from others.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed the same growth on other corals?
Yes, actually better than ever before. Since I do spend only a 5 minute routine every evening to dose the few regular traces and some Hydrogen peroxide due to some remaining cyano as you may noticed, I work a lot on the house and do not spend a lot of time looking at the tank.
Hence I noticed most corals and some specific ones that are known to be fast growers, do grow really well, but not too fast. So a nice growth pattern is still the case. The other day I was a bit buffed when I looked closer at some species and was very impressed with the progress in color and growth. If you start noticing the growth within a day or two, you know you are on the right track ;-)

I have some other pictures of some tenuis made to watch the progress where I can even see the progress that SPS grow now as well nicer and thicker than before. What particular element was responsible is however hard to say since I corrected multiple ones, but do associate Barium and Bromine as well as Fluoride to this effect.

On some very few, that I know are slow type growing corals, I do see growth, but less.
With a few species, that I own, I can now move them around if I feel they are sort of stagnant since flow can be too much or too low as well as an influencing factor.

Answer to your questions is a clear "yes".

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, actually better than ever before. Since I do spend only a 5 minute routine every evening to dose the few regular traces and some Hydrogen peroxide due to some remaining cyano as you may noticed, I work a lot on the house and do not spend a lot of time looking at the tank.
Hence I noticed most corals and some specific ones that are known to be fast growers, do grow really well, but not too fast. So a nice growth pattern is still the case. The other day I was a bit buffed when I looked closer at some species and was very impressed with the progress in color and growth. If you start noticing the growth within a day or two, you know you are on the right track ;-)

I have some other pictures of some tenuis made to watch the progress where I can even see the progress that SPS grow now as well nicer and thicker than before. What particular element was responsible is however hard to say since I corrected multiple ones, but do associate Barium and Bromine as well as Fluoride to this effect.

On some very few, that I know are slow type growing corals, I do see growth, but less.
With a few species, that I own, I can now move them around if I feel they are sort of stagnant since flow can be too much or too low as well as an influencing factor.

Answer to your questions is a clear "yes".

What did you use to correct your trace elements?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how you're able to associate results to much of anything on a three month old system? Is this something you're observing on other, established systems that have fewer things in flux?

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to correct your trace elements?
Forum Rules do not allow me to talk too much about it, but I use my own Trace Element line.
You can find me on facebook to find out more.

However I use individual trace elements such as Bromine, Boron, Molybdenum, Iodine, Barium, Fluoride, Manganese, Zinc, Copper and Cobalt... very soon as well Chromium but that I have to test out first. Most are single time corrections quarterly as needed if ICP indicates low values.
Daily I dose Iodide, Zinc and Manganese since they deplete so quickly.
That will avoid chasing numbers and is pretty easy to perform.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how you're able to associate results to much of anything on a three month old system? Is this something you're observing on other, established systems that have fewer things in flux?
Well, I did use the trace elements before the flood and broken tank on a matured system already.
However, on the new tank I was running for about 1,5 months and immediately after correcting these low level traces the difference was too obvious to be sure that the improved colors and growth came from this change in elements. Since I did not do any others changes on the equipment such as skimmer performance, light or calcium reactor media/adjustments the results could be isolated to the effect of replenishing the trace elements.
Prior the flood, I was about at the dame point and the effects were the same, and then the dang tank broke :-(
Looking at it now, it was good that it happened. I have local reefer they use my stuff too and a few buddies, I started to help to perform the same method now.

Hope this helps to understand my assumptions.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is getting off topic of the thread but if you look at Sanjay who probably has some of the best growth anyone can get. He doses no trace elements and does about 10% water a month.

Edit: article said he dose still iron for chaeto reactor.

Last edited:

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is getting off topic of the thread but if you look at Sanjay who probably has some of the best growth anyone can get. He doses no trace elements and does about 10% water a month.
Hmmmmmm...... wondering why I'm shipping to him then !?! But nuff said, lol.

Sanjay knows his salt and monitors his trace elements. Not sure about his method of correction and how often he does it, but a good salt will replenish trace elements for sure!!! But it depends on the salt brand and mix. My 300G first fill with a brand salt was lacking on Barium and extremely low on Bromine, which I can't bring up while I would use that salt. Done it as well via a water change system, but I'm tired of it. For me I go the route of specific elements that will be replenished as they deplete to have control over it. Done with guessing and hoping the Salt will take care of it.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmmmm...... wondering why I'm shipping to him then !?! But nuff said, lol.

Sanjay knows his salt and monitors his trace elements. Not sure about his method of correction and how often he does it, but a good salt will replenish trace elements for sure!!! But it depends on the salt brand and mix. My 300G first fill with a brand salt was lacking on Barium and extremely low on Bromine, which I can't bring up while I would use that salt. Done it as well via a water change system, but I'm tired of it. For me I go the route of specific elements that will be replenished as they deplete to have control over it. Done with guessing and hoping the Salt will take care of it.
I just went by the article mike paletta wrote about sanjays tank and what he doses. I will see if mike will update it so it doesn't confuse people.

Last edited:

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went by the article mike paletta wrote about sanjays tank and what he doses. I will see if mike will update it so it doesn't confuse people.
As you know there are multiple methods of adding traces.
Water changes, Individual elements addition as well as heavy feeding to bring in elements in via food such as the "Water change free tank" guys do it.

One thing is clear, and I know this as a matter of fact from successful people in the industry (and I keep discretion about them), that some people with successful reefs, that always mention they only do water changes, have a cabinet full of liquids and fluids and they use them ;-)
So do not always fully believe what people say. A lot of them keep their secrets they spent so much effort on, to get there.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I believe most people try to help others in the hobby and aren't out to deceive them. Not saying you are trying to deceive anyone because I don't believe you are but it also comes from the same standpoint when someone says the they dosed trace elements and amazing things happened and they also happen to sell trace elements.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I believe most people try to help others in the hobby and aren't out to deceive them. Not saying you are trying to deceive anyone because I don't believe you are but it also comes from the same standpoint when someone says the they dosed trace elements and amazing things happened and they also happen to sell trace elements.
Lol, you are dang right !!! I have to admit that from that perspective!!! But keep in mind I didn't start the question "what" I use for Elements.
ATI has an entire line that I even more like then the one from Triton.
Use those and see the results. At the end the Elements we dose are the same, all from mother earth given.

Back to the subject, I have seen fantastic results by taken care of the minor elements of in addition to the major trace elements. Trust a bit ;-)
And the progress in the 2 months is self speaking, isn't it?

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here an idea to the group to everyone who attends the contest ;-)

If the folks who do attend this contest and have either the good growing frags or the not so good growing ones, just post a ICP test of your tank and tag me in that post so we can look at the results and may find a pattern on the categories that may lead to good results or may be a reason for not that good results.

I would find that very interesting for sure, and can give my 2 cents for discussion.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the low number of updates, I fear many have already perished :( As for my own, I'll snap a pic later this week but we're due to close on the new house Friday. Hopefully the next update will be positive and everything makes it through the move relatively well (I'll be satisfied with not dead LOL).

My only issue with trace elements is our ability to actually trace (no pun intended) the results back to their addition.

Edit: kind of wish I'd done an ICP just prior to the move for giggles (my last is from November).

Last edited:

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag is finally starting to color up and the encrusting has resumed. It stalled out after I put it in too much light. I turned my Kessils intensity down and shortened the photo period as well over the past few weeks. In addition to maintaining nitrates and phosphates through dosing over the past 6 weeks or so. I even managed to save some almost dead frags in the process. Not all were saved though. I did lose 4 or 5 frags before I realized no nutrients was a problem. I'll post a pic when I get home this evening.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back and counted 35 entries, plus 1 tap out for March. I believe the contest was suppose to have 40 official entries for the contest, so that leaves 4 people who did not update.

That count included Andre (PSXerholic) but I remember him somewhere saying he wasn't officially in the contest. I am not sure if he is or not but I counted him in that 36 entries.

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here an idea to the group to everyone who attends the contest ;-)

If the folks who do attend this contest and have either the good growing frags or the not so good growing ones, just post a ICP test of your tank and tag me in that post so we can look at the results and may find a pattern on the categories that may lead to good results or may be a reason for not that good results.

I would find that very interesting for sure, and can give my 2 cents for discussion.
Neat Idea, I plan to send my water in for ICP this week so hopefully in a week or so I can share my results, I have ok growth and decent color in my tank but nothing compared to your frag for comparison!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back and counted 35 entries, plus 1 tap out for March. I believe the contest was suppose to have 40 official entries for the contest, so that leaves 4 people who did not update.

That count included Andre (PSXerholic) but I remember him somewhere saying he wasn't officially in the contest. I am not sure if he is or not but I counted him in that 36 entries.

I wasnt an official one either; mine came from a local source at the same time. There were 35 March updates?

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the list who posted a photo on the official entry page for the month of March.

domination2580
Nashorn
TonapahNorth
RUNVS
PSXerholic (not sure if in official contest)
SWSooner
SaltySteve
Josh Kraft
Bubbaque
Snakejacques
Servo
Stylaster
Ksfulk
Caravanshaka
Nola Bear
Karl M
Jason.kennedy.98478 (Out of contest)
Kdino
AAndfsoccr04
Jerrad
Alten78
Tcup25
Da Ghost
Crimsonvice
MTBAKE
Tphill
Newbreefer316
Chac317
Leahfish
Shamless_Dood
Ergodyne
Dmw913
Clownman727
Aabutina
Chicity
rlman41299
Kdino

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back