Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice!

By the way, what food are you using if any?
PE on my one is similar, but a bit less.
Well, I'm off feeding still but plan to start feeding the corals soon.

@bubbaque , how is your PE coming along and what food are you using so far if any?

I dont add anything for the corals but I feed the fish LRS Reef and Herbivore Frenzy twice a day. I feed fairly heavy and I leave all the pumps running normally. I dont use filter socks either so I have a fair amount of stuff floating around in the water column; it doesnt affect water clarity visually but there is plenty of "food" floating around at all times (likely the reason why polyps are always extended on all of my corals).

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice!

By the way, what food are you using if any?
PE on my one is similar, but a bit less.
Well, I'm off feeding still but plan to start feeding the corals soon.

@bubbaque , how is your PE coming along and what food are you using so far if any?
I think polyp extension is best on the new growth areas. I feed a mix of homemade food which includes white fish fillet, shrimp, scallops and sometimes I add clams. I also feed reefroids at night a few times a week.
Vivid rainbow May 9.jpg

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not want to be misleading so I figured I would come back and add that I also started dosing Fuel twice a week starting about a month ago but I haven't noticed a difference in polyp extension, good or bad.

Last edited:

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think polyp extension is best on the new growth areas. I feed a mix of homemade food which includes white fish fillet, shrimp, scallops and sometimes I add clams. I also feed reefroids at night a few times a week.
Vivid rainbow May 9.jpg
Very nice frag;-)

Like the idea of home made food! I personally think traces do not ultimately trigger extreme PE, that's from food sources. Ingredients that are made out of fresh oceanic food seems to work best for PE. As more stinky, the better, lol.

I will start soon feeding again too. Will see what it does to the PE.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice frag;-)

Like the idea of home made food! I personally think traces do not ultimately trigger extreme PE, that's from food sources. Ingredients that are made out of fresh oceanic food seems to work best for PE. As more stinky, the better, lol.

I will start soon feeding again too. Will see what it does to the PE.
You are not feeding your tank? Do you have fish in it?

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid rainbow May 9.jpg

Looks real good!

At this point, I'm just glad mine is still alive. I really jumped the gun on putting sps into this system. Tank is 9 months old now and it's been struggle for sure. I'm finally seeing good coralline growth and loads of copepods on the glass. I'm starting to see sponge growth as well.

Here's mine, kinda purplish brown but it's encrusting!

Edited to include pic, lol
20180509_175127.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy how fast this contest went. We have a handful of people who have less than 30 days until their 6 months is over.:eek::eek:

Dang, it was early January for me now that I think about it (not officially part of the contest). Doesnt seem like it's been five months at all.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Vivid rainbow May 9.jpg

That’s starting to look really good man

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not feeding your tank? Do you have fish in it?
I do not feed the corals, except that egg yolk the other day, lol.

I only feed twice a day with Tetra Marine flakes the few fish I have left. Got a few more fish week. Overall not many fish for a 300gallon tank.
I plan to restart feeding like every other day or every three days soon.
Not sure what food I continue to use. Likely a mix of Coral Frenzy with some Diesel Brew ingredients.
Wanted to have a better picture of what colors I can achieve with trace elements only, also the tank being only a few months old, I did not wanted to add too much bioload and food sources that can't be processed by missing microorganism that you just not have in a fresh tank. By now I see plenty of sponges and critters that will take care of it.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not feed the corals, except that egg yolk the other day, lol.

I only feed twice a day with Tetra Marine flakes the few fish I have left. Got a few more fish week. Overall not many fish for a 300gallon tank.
I plan to restart feeding like every other day or every three days soon.
Not sure what food I continue to use. Likely a mix of Coral Frenzy with some Diesel Brew ingredients.
Wanted to have a better picture of what colors I can achieve with trace elements only, also the tank being only a few months old, I did not wanted to add too much bioload and food sources that can't be processed by missing microorganism that you just not have in a fresh tank. By now I see plenty of sponges and critters that will take care of it.
oh ok, I thought you meant you don’t feed the tank at all right now, lol.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back