Battlecorals Vivid's Rainbow Acropora - Contest Discussion Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When taking the final pic should we be taking the pic from the same angel and the same ruler placement as the first pic?
I see a couple pics where the ruler placement is changing wildly. Sometimes it's on the plug with the coral, next pic it's on the eggcrate. It just makes it look like sometimes it's growing 1/4", lol.

1/4" growth will probably be enough to win it. I'd think your criteria would be the best bet though.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4" growth will probably be enough to win it. I'd think your criteria would be the best bet though.
I agree! Not many are getting vertical growth yet, so any growth could take the prize. I think the judges need to make sure the first pic looks the same as the last, as far as ruler placement and camera angel.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral was turned 180° during the move so I wouldn't even know how to measure it now (not part of the actual competition anyways). On top of that, I removed the Blue+ and replaced them with Actinics a couple weeks ago.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try your best to measure at the same angle if possible. Ruler as close to the coral as you can is easiest to judge but if all of your other pics were with the ruler next to it then I think that would be preferred. @Dsnakes, @Battlecorals any input?
I agree, keep it as similar to other pictures as possible. This may be tough in some cases. I do see a case where starting with the ruler on the plug and then beside the plug after encrusting the entire plug... But that opens up the can of worms for those who chose to remove the plug and mount to rocks.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to clarify on the timing for the pics as we are approaching June(the 6th month many have had this coral). Are we posting pics on our anniversary date for June(even though that's technically only 5 months?)? like mine would be June 11th as I received my Jan 11th? Or are we doing the end of the month? The 6 month anniversary would actually be July 11th. I cant remember, I think we talked about it, but I cant find anything when I looked back through the threads. Please send help!!

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to clarify on the timing for the pics as we are approaching June(the 6th month many have had this coral). Are we posting pics on our anniversary date for June(even though that's technically only 5 months?)? like mine would be June 11th as I received my Jan 11th? Or are we doing the end of the month? The 6 month anniversary would actually be July 11th. I cant remember, I think we talked about it, but I cant find anything when I looked back through the threads. Please send help!!
I think everyone gets the full 6 months, so July 11th is your day.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble getting a decent image tonight for some reason. It continues to encrust well, has a little bit of vertical growth, and is starting to color up again (though not depicted well in this image).

Edit: Today marks five months.

41622559865_a542de29ef_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW: I don't have the dates that everyone received their corals, that is part of the reason why a picture was required at the beginning. So I recorded when everyone posted their first picture. The last picture is due 6 full months from that date, so the coral will have been in your tank for a full 6 months. For example, if you received your coral on January 15, your final picture is due July 15.

Here are the dates I have for everyone's first pic (This is everyone - some of these people are no longer in the contest)
Ergodyne Jan 7
newbreefer316 Jan 30
jason.kennedy.98478 Jan 11
MTBake Jan 10
Shameless_Dood Jan 9
ksfulk Jan 25
TonapahNorth Jan 13
Waalker Jan 12
Da Ghost Jan 31
rlman41299 Jan 12
alten78 Jan 12
aarbutina Jan 8
Zaven D Feb 5
stylaster Jan 13
jerrad Jan 14
wopadobop Jan 24
domination2580 Feb 13
ptpablo Jan 14
Chac317 Jan 9
Clownman727 Jan 13
Crimsonvice Jan 25
SaltySteve Jan 14
RUNVS Jan 11
aandfsoccr04 Jan 14
kdino Jan 11
bubbaque Jan 23
Swayne_07 Jan 5
Mykesocalreef Jan 10
Tcup25 Jan 10
Josh Kraft Jan 11
SWSooner Jan 12
drawman Jan 13
snakejacques Jan 24
Tphill Feb 27
Nola Bear Jan 31
nashorn Feb 12
Dmw913 Jan 30
Caravanshaka Jan 25
Karl M Jan 24
servo Jan 25
leahfiish Jan 13
drblakjak55 Jan 13

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are definitely starting to see some discrepancy in the ruler "start point" How are we going to handle encrusting growth? I see some people using that as their baseline as opposed to the plug or original mounting point as their baseline. Thus giving some folks tremendous growth. Thoughts, comments ideas???

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe encrustment was said to be ignored as you can't really measure it. Some people allowed it to stay on the plug and encrust down, which is easier to measure but others mounted to their rock and encrust outwards which is hard to measure. In the original post it was suppose to be vertical growth, so keep the ruler in the same spot in all the pics.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posted the update:

Today's status after 4 months
Only issue for me is the height measurement, lol.
My frag is not shrinking, but the encrusting on the plug is getting thicker so I'm loosing my reference point.

Anyways, growing obviously great from this plain stick !!!!

History:

May 15

April 14

March 15

Februar 15 - for comparison, fresh from Battlecorals, still slimy ;-)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish there were a better way to guesstimate flow than low, med, high. I have it sitting at the top of the rock structure so it gets the most flow and light I'm providing.

Flow: sandwiched between a pair of MP40s running speed step 10 of 12 or 83% max
Light: little over 300 PAR (Apogee MQ-500)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back