Battling GHA for 6 months and losing

Hank The Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd been dealing with GHA for 6 months+ and losing, so I'm asking for advice.

Tank:
15G waterbox nano, no skimmer or refrigium, had chateo but died from flux treatment. Chemistry is within acceptable ranges.
Stock; cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns, 1 bi-color blenny, 1 Trouchus snail.

What I tried:
Purchased 3 Turbo snails, died.
Flux, only thing it did was killed my frog spawn. It worked on Byopsis before so I thought I give it a try
NoPox, low dosage (.5 ML daily) for about 8 weeks and it made my GSP receed and killed my Clove polyp.

What I'm considering:
Lawnmower Algae Blenny, Sea Hair Slug, Pin cushion Urchin

Need some advice which way to go:
Option 1: I'm leaning toward the Lawnmower Blenny because I have better success with fish than inverts. But i'm concerned about bio-load and the bi-color benny territory issue.
Option 2: I think an urchin may be a second choice but I'm concerned that it will die on me like the snails and release a lot of toxin and kill all the inhabitants.
Option 3: Is a sea hair slug too big for this 15G tank?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean towards an urchin or turbo snails I think would be well suited. Turbo snails put in work but I don’t think eat bryopsis lol and urchin will eat any type of algae. A sea hare would demolish the algae but quickly out grow the tank and must be regimes, they have the potential to die and release toxin

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be curious about the fluconazole. What was it exactly? I’ve put it in my tank and it took care of bryopsis and gha. Also have a frogspawn and it didn’t get harmed (nor anything else).

OP
OP
H

Hank The Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you’ve tried the ‘elbow grease methods’ as well?
Yes. I actually developed this brush+syphon device to scrub the rocks during water changes. I superglued pieces from a stiff brush head to the ends of a hose and tied a long 24" chopstick to it. It works great at scrubbing and suction at the same time. I was thinking of patenting it. LOL. But manual cleaning each week is getting real old.

IMG_8201.JPG

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back