Battling GHA with low nutrients - To dose nutrients or just spot feed coral?

Do I:

• Raise nutrients to a detectable level

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Find the system's "lights out" nutrient uptake and dose just for that period

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simply spot feed coral specific food and let nutrients remain undetectable

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

LiftinTheVeil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GHA is probably using phosphate as a food source and therefore giving a false zero reading.

I would look at methods for phosphate removal, personally I use rowaphos (GFO) but you will need to change it frequently to start or it won’t work as It may leach out of the rockwork as the levels in the water get lowered

You don’t want zero nitrate (good general guide 5-10) but you want very low phosphate (less than .03) but that’s got to be a real number, not after the GHA has had its fill. Basically starve it out.
I’m have the same issue with an LPS dominant tank. I’ve manually removed the GHA and water changed for over two months now and feed less. I bought rowaphos and a reactor, but have yet to use it out of fear of dropping PO4 to the point of hurting the coral color and growth. I’m so pleased with the health of my corals right now that it’s holding me back from using the rowaphos to eliminate the GHA once and for all.
Any suggestions in balancing both?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m have the same issue with an LPS dominant tank. I’ve manually removed the GHA and water changed for over two months now and feed less. I bought rowaphos and a reactor, but have yet to use it out of fear of dropping PO4 to the point of hurting the coral color and growth. I’m so pleased with the health of my corals right now that it’s holding me back from using the rowaphos to eliminate the GHA once and for all.
Any suggestions in balancing both?

Similar situation but with 100g Acro dominant tank with happy corals. Just added a Turbo Aquatics L2 ATS last week and already see GHA on the screen. Lots of Ulva in the refugium. Going to start BRS GFO today, but will monitor P04 closely with my Hanna ULR Checker. P04 was non-existent for a year, then boom GHA started and then I realized the level crept up on me. Today, I turned off a bank of four T5 actinics supplementing four Hydra 32HDs as well.

CUC: six Tuxedo Urchins, ceriths, turbos, astreas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back