Bayer Dip Coral on rock questions

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I'm doing research about Bayer also known as bioadvance complete insect killer dip and looks like many reefers are satisfied with results if you use it properly.

My question is: I have a small 3x3 inches rock with very nice GSP coral all over it, and I have to dip it because I have many worms and pests bellow it. Seachem Dip and FW dip didn't work.

My concern is if I put back rock back in the tank that bayer chemicals will stay on rock and that can cause a damage to my invertebrates, fish, and overall whole system.

Any advices?

Thank you

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, I'm doing research about Bayer also known as bioadvance complete insect killer dip and looks like many reefers are satisfied with results if you use it properly.

My question is: I have a small 3x3 inches rock with very nice GSP coral all over it, and I have to dip it because I have many worms and pests bellow it. Seachem Dip and FW dip didn't work.

My concern is if I put back rock back in the tank that bayer chemicals will stay on rock and that can cause a damage to my invertebrates, fish, and overall whole system.

Any advices?

Thank you
You should do a rinse (or two) in a container (or two) of tank water before putting the rock/coral back into your tank...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not dip rock in Bayer. Whenever possible, I remove frag plugs prior to Bayer dipping as well. Others may have dipped rock and been fine though.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not dip rock in Bayer. Whenever possible, I remove frag plugs prior to Bayer dipping as well. Others may have dipped rock and been fine though.

Yeah I'm scared to do it too. But I have to remove those pests bellow GSP mat.

Maybe leave the rock outside the tank for many hours as possible and rinse it often with tank water?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or peel off the mat, dip if needed, and remount on a clean rock.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pests? Maybe try an H202 dip instead.
Or peel off the mat, dip if needed, and remount on a clean rock.

Can't peel it, tried it. There is at least 8+ spionid worms and many bristle worms too. Tried FW too.

Bayer is my last solution but I worry about the rock back in the tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really works on spionids other than maybe invermectin and physically digging them out.

H2O2 can work on bristleworms.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really works on spionids other than maybe invermectin and physically digging them out.

You think bayer is waste of time and unnecessary risk?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think bayer is waste of time and unnecessary risk?
Bayer likely won't touch the spionids. But spionids aren't really a problem for a soft coral either... And bristleworms are great members of your clean up crew -why are you trying to get rid of them?

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer likely won't touch the spionids. But spionids aren't really a problem for a soft coral either... And bristleworms are great members of your clean up crew -why are you trying to get rid of them?

because I can not stand them, the less I have them the happier I am.

If bayer wont do any harm, then I will not do it, but I read on some threads here some people managed to killed them with bayer.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about starving them? I keep coral in plastic cup. I can take it out from tank every day for 15 minutes while I feed the fish. After a week or two, they will not have any contact with food, maybe they will starve to death?

Attachments

• 20230601_221907.jpg
    20230601_221907.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 33

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about starving them? I keep coral in plastic cup. I can take it out from tank every day for 15 minutes while I feed the fish. After a week or two, they will not have any contact with food, maybe they will starve to death?
I've tried starving by gluing their tube/hole shut. Then they build a new one, glue that one shut, rinse repeat.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried starving by gluing their tube/hole shut. Then they build a new one, glue that one shut, rinse repeat.

yeah, so chemical destruction it is.

I will try bayer + glue + starving.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, not sure if you have the bayer already or got it recently but they changed their ingredients a while back. I grabbed some a year or so ago and didn’t realize I got the new ingredient one until it was too late lol.

Acros all rtn’d instantly in the dip. And all micro life was nuked in my tank (after a triple soak and rinse in fresh saltwater) luckily I didn’t have any fish in the tank at the time as I’ve heard the specific ingredient kills them too. I also had a Florida Ricordia in the tank and it lost all of its tentacles and turned smooth with a bunch of mesenterial looking filaments coming out of the skin. It never recovered.

OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, not sure if you have the bayer already or got it recently but they changed their ingredients a while back. I grabbed some a year or so ago and didn’t realize I got the new ingredient one until it was too late lol.

Acros all rtn’d instantly in the dip. And all micro life was nuked in my tank (after a triple soak and rinse in fresh saltwater) luckily I didn’t have any fish in the tank at the time as I’ve heard the specific ingredient kills them too. I also had a Florida Ricordia in the tank and it lost all of its tentacles and turned smooth with a bunch of mesenterial looking filaments coming out of the skin. It never recovered.

Do you remember what kind of bayer product did you use?

I plan to use this one:

Attachments

• how-to-dip-coral-beyer.jpg
    how-to-dip-coral-beyer.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 34

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember what kind of bayer product did you use?

I plan to use this one:

I think the one you linked is the one I got. If I’m remembering right the old one had 3 active ingredients and it’s the beta-cyfluthrin in the new one that was the problem. I may be mis-remembering though.

Edit: I was wrong. the one you linked is the good one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
marcosnano

marcosnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the one you linked is the one I got. If I’m remembering right the old one had 3 active ingredients and it’s the beta-cyfluthrin in the new one that was the problem. I may be mis-remembering though.

This article claim that this particular product is good to go, and others by bayer are dangerous:

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sorry, the one you’re looking at is the good one.

I’m not finding Bayer complete in the bottle all of the posts are showing. I am wonder if they changed the formula or is this the same.
I have my first show to buy some frags tomorrow and I’m worried about dipping with the wrong stuff.

it appears to not have the same active ingredients as what have seen.

Any help is appreciated

54A82288-6DB4-43CE-98D2-46D992F77C15.jpeg

5A7D3591-17C2-4A35-8C66-C782FA580465.jpeg
This was the one I got. I remember it saying “concentrate I” on the front

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back