Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
I have done this with a few SPS and have had great results, saved a great monti I have. Can this dip be used on LPS (acans) and soft corals?
I have used it on acan and zoa/paly with good results

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
I do same for all new arrival SPS
But after 5-10 minutes in bayer I do rinsing in tank water then 5 minutes in lugols(1-2 drops per 100 ml), again rinse in tank water and after that it's going to low light and low flow area for couple days I usually repid procedure after a week or so to make sure
Never lost any frag and system is pest free as far as I know

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Found out Bayer does not kill Red Planaria. I dipped a frag with them for 15 minutes in 20ml/cup Bayer solution. After the rinse they were crawling around on the frag like no big deal.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Found out Bayer does not kill Red Planaria. I dipped a frag with them for 15 minutes in 20ml/cup Bayer solution. After the rinse they were crawling around on the frag like no big deal.
I find that very hard to believe.

Do you use a powerhead or stir the water to knock them off?

I always use a Turkey Baster and Blast Away.

I have been told that just changing the Salinity or Doing a Freshwater Dip will knock off Flatworms.

Flatworm Exit kills Flatworms and it does not affect other stuff in your tank.

I would never dose Bayer in my Tank though.

Bayer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more potent than freshwater.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/1frxTWZH_ZE[/video]

15 minute Bayer dip, 20ml/cup. I use a round container and shake/swirl the Bayer around multiple times. After everything else falls off and dies the RP are still on the frag and alive.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
[video]https://youtu.be/1frxTWZH_ZE[/video]

15 minute Bayer dip, 20ml/cup. I use a round container and shake/swirl the Bayer around multiple times. After everything else falls off and dies the RP are still on the frag and alive.
I have a springeri damsel that took care of all the red planeria in a couple weeks, he has been a model citizen since and not aggressive at all.

Eric G

View Badges
Reaction score
My question is why doesn't anyone use bayer with germ killer? it mixes up clear so you can see what's coming off your frags. Is something in the germ killer toxic???

GlassMunky

View Badges
Reaction score
My question is why doesn't anyone use bayer with germ killer? it mixes up clear so you can see what's coming off your frags. Is something in the germ killer toxic???
This is why:
Here's the ingredients from the beyer with germ killer

And also here is the ingredients for the regular bayer dip we all use:
image.jpg
image.jpg

The active ingredient that is doing what we want is the "Imidacloprid". The germ killer bayer does not have that, and that's why we don't use it.

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in my two cents, and tell you right off the bat, I wouldn't use it for my corals. Note that I exclusively use Bayer Complete as a coral dip.

Let's first look at ingredients of both.
Bayer Complete has: beta-cyfluthrin and imidacloprid
Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer has: beta cyfluthrin and sodium o-phenylphenate (SOPP)

The ingredients in Bayer Complete have a very long history, coming from the use of tobacco teas, and an extract from Chrysanthemum flowers. Both of these ingredients are insecticides, acting as a neurotoxin to kill the bugs. This years of history is what, in part, drove me to using this product as a coral dip. However, it doesn't mean that these two ingredients are safe for the environment. The imidacloprid has now been implicated in honey-bee colony collapse disorder, and has recently been excluded from use in certain areas. For this reason, I only use Bayer Complete as a coral dip, and not as indicated with lawn and garden.

The Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer similiarly has the cyfluthrin to kill the insects in addition to the SOPP, which is used as a surface disinfectant, material preservative, and in agriculture, as a broad-spectrum post-harvest fungicide for specific fruits (Oranges, to name one). I will assume we could argue the benefit of this disinfectant as a coral dip. The one thought that came to my mind is if some "bugs" were munching on your coral, you'll now leave that wound clean. However, with that said, the one thing that bothered me was in one of the data sheets was printed, "SOPP's are highly toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis." They didn't go into detail (and I didn't look), but algae was mentioned as one of those organisms.

I'm not sure who the first was to try Bayer Complete as a coral dip. So who's going to be the first to try this Bayer germ product on their corals. It won't be me! :D

Eric G

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in my two cents, and tell you right off the bat, I wouldn't use it for my corals. Note that I exclusively use Bayer Complete as a coral dip.

Let's first look at ingredients of both.
Bayer Complete has: beta-cyfluthrin and imidacloprid
Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer has: beta cyfluthrin and sodium o-phenylphenate (SOPP)

The ingredients in Bayer Complete have a very long history, coming from the use of tobacco teas, and an extract from Chrysanthemum flowers. Both of these ingredients are insecticides, acting as a neurotoxin to kill the bugs. This years of history is what, in part, drove me to using this product as a coral dip. However, it doesn't mean that these two ingredients are safe for the environment. The imidacloprid has now been implicated in honey-bee colony collapse disorder, and has recently been excluded from use in certain areas. For this reason, I only use Bayer Complete as a coral dip, and not as indicated with lawn and garden.

The Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer similiarly has the cyfluthrin to kill the insects in addition to the SOPP, which is used as a surface disinfectant, material preservative, and in agriculture, as a broad-spectrum post-harvest fungicide for specific fruits (Oranges, to name one). I will assume we could argue the benefit of this disinfectant as a coral dip. The one thought that came to my mind is if some "bugs" were munching on your coral, you'll now leave that wound clean. However, with that said, the one thing that bothered me was in one of the data sheets was printed, "SOPP's are highly toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis." They didn't go into detail (and I didn't look), but algae was mentioned as one of those organisms.

I'm not sure who the first was to try Bayer Complete as a coral dip. So who's going to be the first to try this Bayer germ product on their corals. It won't be me! :D
I have used bayer complete with germ killer with no problems to my knowledge.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
First of all. Bayer is very safe to use for corals.

Second. If you use bayer, chances are you will loose all your pods and shrimps. It does not matter how many times you rinse them out. Its not easy to clean the bayer off of the coral that easy.

This member is correct. Bayer do not really kill flatwom. They make the worm to do dizzy and fall off the.coral but they still alive amd moving.
I fount this out this out when my tank was.affected with aefw. After 30 minutes they still crawling in the.container.
I had aefw where i had to dip every single corals once.aweek for 10 weeks.

Anyways. I witnessed that bayer dont kill aefw in 15 minutes and not even with 30 minutes.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

View Badges
Reaction score
First of all. Bayer is very safe to use for corals.

Second. If you use bayer, chances are you will loose all your pods and shrimps. It does not matter how many times you rinse them out. Its not easy to clean the bayer off of the coral that easy.

This member is correct. Bayer do not really kill flatwom. They make the worm to do dizzy and fall off the.coral but they still alive amd moving.
I fount this out this out when my tank was.affected with aefw. After 30 minutes they still crawling in the.container.
I had aefw where i had to dip every single corals once.aweek for 10 weeks.

Anyways. I witnessed that bayer dont kill aefw in 15 minutes and not even with 30 minutes.

I have to FULLY DISAGREE with this.
I use nothing but bayer as a dip for all of my corals, and i pour enough in the dip so that its a white as whole milk.
2 rinse's in fresh tank water and into the system.
My system is full of pods, live mysid shrimps, multiple cleaner shrimps, etc.
I have never had a single issue nor even a time where i was slightly concerned.
Bayer dip will NOT kill off your system, its 100% safe if you do correctly.

and i know for a fact that bayer kills AEFW worms. i have a few friends who sadly ended up with them afetr the ASD live sale, and had to go thorugh the painfull process of dipping and redipping all corals for months, to get each cycle of eggs, which is the only thing it does not kill.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
I don't know what that concentration is but I've found at high doses (1:1 mixtures), that I've had red Planaria literally drop off the plugs, in about 30 seconds, however, many, but not all, were still alive (had any movement at all) after 5 minutes.That is as long as I observed for!

https://www.omegasea.net/

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 207 53.8%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 128 33.2%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 14 3.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors