OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder whether most of prophylactic effect of the described dipping process is simply due to removal of the base? I suspect that most nasties are removed with the base and subsequent visual inspection of the coelenterate's tissue. Do you folks see things actually fall off the dipped tissue?

If I see anything that looks like a bite or pest, I throw out the frag. Removing the frag plug is indeed prophylactic because it's difficult to visualize pests/eggs in nooks or crannies.

I find the dip is so opaque with Bayer that I don't really see anything in the liquid.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
English person here, I didn't read all 13 pages, read page 1 and skipped.
Did you find the safety data sheet for whatever the active ingredient is?

If I skipped that then sorry, I use a supermarket antibacterial fluid called Dettol, followed a similar thread to this a few years ago and then did some reading. ;)
The ridiculously small bottle of "coral dip" over here is like£10 or so, a litre bottle (about a pint) of the supermarket stuff is about £2, not used the "coral dip for years! :)

Great thread.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
English person here, I didn't read all 13 pages, read page 1 and skipped.
Did you find the safety data sheet for whatever the active ingredient is?

If I skipped that then sorry, I use a supermarket antibacterial fluid called Dettol, followed a similar thread to this a few years ago and then did some reading. ;)
The ridiculously small bottle of "coral dip" over here is like£10 or so, a litre bottle (about a pint) of the supermarket stuff is about £2, not used the "coral dip for years! :)

Great thread.

The two active ingredients are Cyfluthrin and Imidacloprid. In layman's terms, these are now chemically produced derivatives of a tobacco tea and chrysanthemum flower extract.....with a history here in the States of over a 100 years. A number of DIY insecticides have you make your own tobacco tea to kill bugs in your garden.

HERE is the MSDS. Note that this a a concentrate and needs to be diluted. I dilute 1 ml of Bayer for each 100 mls of tank water...typically make 300 mls for 1 to 5 frags, but others have used stronger dilutions. I had a thread going on dilutions used....when I find it, I'll edit it in here.

EDIT TO ADD

HERE is the thread on concentrations used by various forum members. Summary can be found in posts #25 and #35 on page 2.

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two active ingredients are Cyfluthrin and Imidacloprid. In layman's terms, these are now chemically produced derivatives of a tobacco tea and chrysanthemum flower extract.....with a history here in the States of over a 100 years. A number of DIY insecticides have you make your own tobacco tea to kill bugs in your garden.

HERE is the MSDS. Note that this a a concentrate and needs to be diluted. I dilute 1 ml of Bayer for each 100 mls of tank water...typically make 300 mls for 1 to 5 frags, but others have used stronger dilutions. I had a thread going on dilutions used....when I find it, I'll edit it in here.

EDIT TO ADD

HERE is the thread on concentrations used by various forum members. Summary can be found in posts #25 and #35 on page 2.

I will take a look, sounds great, that is why I am trying to switch UK types to dettol. ;)

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does everyone always remove the plug and reattach to new plugs or are most just dipping as you got the frags and leaving them on their existing plugs ??

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everyone always remove the plug and reattach to new plugs or are most just dipping as you got the frags and leaving them on their existing plugs ??

I remove the plug. That's prime territory for eggs to be attached.

ReeferNoob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
break up a rock and use the rock pieces to glue it on it blends into your tank better that way.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @ritter6788 . But the other reason you remove the plug (unless it's plastic), is because any dip will absorb into the plug and then slowly release into your tank. So re-glue to a fresh plug or rock or directly into your tank.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished using bayer for the first time. Mille, and Digi have polyps opened and happy. 2 goni's aren't too happy yet and Monti Cap??? Can't tell yet. Tiny chip frag can't see the polyps. All in all I'd say it was a success. 10ml of bayer to 2 cups of water (1/2 fresh made 1/2 tank water).
5 -7 minute soak...attached to new base and into clean water for 5-7 then another clean water bath for 5-7 (shaken and turkey basted in each one) then out of the third into a 4th for a shake before dropping in the tank. Lots of stuff came off not sure what was detritus and what was alive, but it's off now! Lol.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_7357.JPG

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since everyone likes pics. These are all the frags about 15 minutes after the dip. Goni's aren't too happy but everything else looks good so far !

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@watchguy123 Question. Do you always cut the base off a new frag? What if the frag is well encrusted and nubs are starting to shoot out? Do you prefer fresh cuts versus mounted aged frags?

jasert39

tang wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate digging up old threads but seemed appropriate. Purchasing a few larger colonies (mostly zoas, rics and a pollcipora) from a guy breaking down his tank. I therefore cannot remove everything from the rocks they are growing on...safe to dip larger rocks/colonies in bayer?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back