Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

Sabellafella

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Usually when I use bayer, I'm pretty cautious with playing around with it. I've left a couple frags sitting in bayer before for a while without any I'll effects. Usually triple rinse, this time was a slipup and am very worried.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd run carbon, and if you have water, do a change.

But again, what's the total volume of your system? If it's big, it might be moot.

I'd be more concerned about inverts.....keep an eye on them.

Sabellafella

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'd run carbon, and if you have water, do a change.

But again, what's the total volume of your system? If it's big, it might be moot.

I'd be more concerned about inverts.....keep an eye on them.
About 120 gallons. I only have about 5 hermit crabs , hundred of tiny brittle stars and small handfull of snails. I added a quarter cup of r0x to my carbon bag that I just replaced yesterday. Fingers crossed =/

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Is there any evidence that this can kill ich whilst it's in the egg/cyst stage?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
@stefanm , the arithmetic should be straight forward if they the two active ingredients are at the same proportions. If it helps, the Bayer's active ingredients and percentages are:

Imidacloprid - 0.72%
beta-Cyfluthrin - 0.36%

As far as the dilution for dipping, that's all over the place. Check out THIS post....summary of what folks use is in Post #55.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
@stefanm , the arithmetic should be straight forward if they the two active ingredients are at the same proportions. If it helps, the Bayer's active ingredients and percentages are:

Imidacloprid - 0.72%
beta-Cyfluthrin - 0.36%

As far as the dilution for dipping, that's all over the place. Check out THIS post....summary of what folks use is in Post #55.
The proportions are different, the description first, then the percentages.

Solomon contains time tested Imidacloprid and Beta- Cyfluthrin in an innovative oil dispersion formulation. It has a combination of systemic and contact properties which gives quick knockdown and anti-feeding effects. It is thus a broad segment insecticide for sucking and biting pests. The oil dispersion based on O-TEQ formulation (patent protected) ensures better rain fastness, optimized retention and penetration activity.

Beta-Cyfluthrin + Imidacloprid 300 OD
(8.49 + 19.81 % w/w)

As you can see, the
Beta-Cyfluthrin, is at a lower proportion, to be honest that doesn't bother me so much.
This does though "
The oil dispersion based on O-TEQ formulation (patent protected) ensures better rain fastness, optimized retention and penetration activity."

There is a possibility that the products have the same carrier, unfortunately there's no way of knowing for sure as far as I know. I'm very reluctant to assume the products are almost identical even though they're manufactured by the same company.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
As per my previous post, I had a look at the safety data sheet, this product also has naphthalene and glycerine in an oil base, not soluble in water, so I guess it's unsuitable.

However I've found the two active chemicals separately both products of bayer, the following is the strength of the compounds in liquid form.
Imidacloprid 17.8%
Beta-cyfluthrim 2.45%

So what would be my dose per chemical for a litre or gallon, standard dose?

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok, I found an online calculator, according to the calculator, based on 5 ml of each chemical I need to add the following,
Imidacloprid 118.61 ml water
Beta-cyfluthrim 29 ml water
This will give 157.61 ml of combined solution at the respective rates of 0.72 and 0.36% or there abouts.

Does this seem correct?

Corals.com

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 206 54.4%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 126 33.2%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 34 9.0%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors