Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate digging up old threads but seemed appropriate. Purchasing a few larger colonies (mostly zoas, rics and a pollcipora) from a guy breaking down his tank. I therefore cannot remove everything from the rocks they are growing on...safe to dip larger rocks/colonies in bayer?

No!

Bayer, or any dip, will be absorbed into the rock and then slowly release it once put in your tank. I wouldn't do it.

QT the colonies and observe.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate digging up old threads but seemed appropriate. Purchasing a few larger colonies (mostly zoas, rics and a pollcipora) from a guy breaking down his tank. I therefore cannot remove everything from the rocks they are growing on...safe to dip larger rocks/colonies in bayer?

I'd research known pest for polyps so you know what to look for. I use Coral RX, large flash light, magnify glasses, brush, and blade.. I just don't trust Bayers at this time I know it works well on SPS but I rather use something gentle and inspect or quarantine...

I went to Reefapalozza and spoke to Pacific east aquaculture about dipping the gonipora I got from them. they strongly advised against it. I got a Melanurus and Sixline wrasse as an insurance policy.. Whatever you decide do it with caution.;)

Gotasplinter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I moved my tank I dipped everything except them nem

jasert39

tang wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sale fell through but thanks for the input everyone. Buying from another hobbies made me a bit nervous so I figured is ask

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could theoretically dip an entire rock with coral, but I'd have a separate system to keep it in for several weeks and do multiple water changes to dilute and residual Bayer over a period of time.

There'd be a lot of die off of any micro fauna etc.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is hazardous to your health, don't smell it, don't spill it and don't drink it--it is hazardous.

Hopefully you pour the leftover product/waste water out on your lawn where it was intended to be used and break down and not down the drain?

psidriven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know the effective shelf life of unopened/opened bottle? according to wiki its a few years if kept in the dark. just asking since i have a few bottles thats a few years old.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey guys, I had some residual bayer on my gloves, maybe .2 of a ml or so and i accidentally put my hand under eater. What do I expect from this?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.2 mils of concentrated Bayer?? Into what volume of water?

RUN CARBON!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
0.2 mils of concentrated Bayer?? Into what volume of water?

RUN CARBON!
About, well I stuck my thumb through the cap seal, then went and grabbed the frags out without realizing it lol. But is this going to kill my fish? About 120 gallons

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Usually when I use bayer, I'm pretty cautious with playing around with it. I've left a couple frags sitting in bayer before for a while without any I'll effects. Usually triple rinse, this time was a slipup and am very worried.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run carbon, and if you have water, do a change.

But again, what's the total volume of your system? If it's big, it might be moot.

I'd be more concerned about inverts.....keep an eye on them.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd run carbon, and if you have water, do a change.

But again, what's the total volume of your system? If it's big, it might be moot.

I'd be more concerned about inverts.....keep an eye on them.
About 120 gallons. I only have about 5 hermit crabs , hundred of tiny brittle stars and small handfull of snails. I added a quarter cup of r0x to my carbon bag that I just replaced yesterday. Fingers crossed =/

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back