Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Eric G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the germ killer on frags and watched flatworms fall off. I'm no expert but I think it works.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is why doesn't anyone use bayer with germ killer? it mixes up clear so you can see what's coming off your frags. Is something in the germ killer toxic???

I'm going to throw in my two cents, and tell you right off the bat, I wouldn't use it for my corals. Note that I exclusively use Bayer Complete as a coral dip.

Let's first look at ingredients of both.
Bayer Complete has: beta-cyfluthrin and imidacloprid
Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer has: beta cyfluthrin and sodium o-phenylphenate (SOPP)

The ingredients in Bayer Complete have a very long history, coming from the use of tobacco teas, and an extract from Chrysanthemum flowers. Both of these ingredients are insecticides, acting as a neurotoxin to kill the bugs. This years of history is what, in part, drove me to using this product as a coral dip. However, it doesn't mean that these two ingredients are safe for the environment. The imidacloprid has now been implicated in honey-bee colony collapse disorder, and has recently been excluded from use in certain areas. For this reason, I only use Bayer Complete as a coral dip, and not as indicated with lawn and garden.

The Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer similiarly has the cyfluthrin to kill the insects in addition to the SOPP, which is used as a surface disinfectant, material preservative, and in agriculture, as a broad-spectrum post-harvest fungicide for specific fruits (Oranges, to name one). I will assume we could argue the benefit of this disinfectant as a coral dip. The one thought that came to my mind is if some "bugs" were munching on your coral, you'll now leave that wound clean. However, with that said, the one thing that bothered me was in one of the data sheets was printed, "SOPP's are highly toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis." They didn't go into detail (and I didn't look), but algae was mentioned as one of those organisms.

I'm not sure who the first was to try Bayer Complete as a coral dip. So who's going to be the first to try this Bayer germ product on their corals. It won't be me! :D

Eric G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw in my two cents, and tell you right off the bat, I wouldn't use it for my corals. Note that I exclusively use Bayer Complete as a coral dip.

Let's first look at ingredients of both.
Bayer Complete has: beta-cyfluthrin and imidacloprid
Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer has: beta cyfluthrin and sodium o-phenylphenate (SOPP)

The ingredients in Bayer Complete have a very long history, coming from the use of tobacco teas, and an extract from Chrysanthemum flowers. Both of these ingredients are insecticides, acting as a neurotoxin to kill the bugs. This years of history is what, in part, drove me to using this product as a coral dip. However, it doesn't mean that these two ingredients are safe for the environment. The imidacloprid has now been implicated in honey-bee colony collapse disorder, and has recently been excluded from use in certain areas. For this reason, I only use Bayer Complete as a coral dip, and not as indicated with lawn and garden.

The Bayer Pest plus Germ Killer similiarly has the cyfluthrin to kill the insects in addition to the SOPP, which is used as a surface disinfectant, material preservative, and in agriculture, as a broad-spectrum post-harvest fungicide for specific fruits (Oranges, to name one). I will assume we could argue the benefit of this disinfectant as a coral dip. The one thought that came to my mind is if some "bugs" were munching on your coral, you'll now leave that wound clean. However, with that said, the one thing that bothered me was in one of the data sheets was printed, "SOPP's are highly toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis." They didn't go into detail (and I didn't look), but algae was mentioned as one of those organisms.

I'm not sure who the first was to try Bayer Complete as a coral dip. So who's going to be the first to try this Bayer germ product on their corals. It won't be me! :D
I have used bayer complete with germ killer with no problems to my knowledge.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out Bayer does not kill Red Planaria. I dipped a frag with them for 15 minutes in 20ml/cup Bayer solution. After the rinse they were crawling around on the frag like no big deal.
First of all. Bayer is very safe to use for corals.

Second. If you use bayer, chances are you will loose all your pods and shrimps. It does not matter how many times you rinse them out. Its not easy to clean the bayer off of the coral that easy.

This member is correct. Bayer do not really kill flatwom. They make the worm to do dizzy and fall off the.coral but they still alive amd moving.
I fount this out this out when my tank was.affected with aefw. After 30 minutes they still crawling in the.container.
I had aefw where i had to dip every single corals once.aweek for 10 weeks.

Anyways. I witnessed that bayer dont kill aefw in 15 minutes and not even with 30 minutes.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all. Bayer is very safe to use for corals.

Second. If you use bayer, chances are you will loose all your pods and shrimps. It does not matter how many times you rinse them out. Its not easy to clean the bayer off of the coral that easy.

This member is correct. Bayer do not really kill flatwom. They make the worm to do dizzy and fall off the.coral but they still alive amd moving.
I fount this out this out when my tank was.affected with aefw. After 30 minutes they still crawling in the.container.
I had aefw where i had to dip every single corals once.aweek for 10 weeks.

Anyways. I witnessed that bayer dont kill aefw in 15 minutes and not even with 30 minutes.

I have to FULLY DISAGREE with this.
I use nothing but bayer as a dip for all of my corals, and i pour enough in the dip so that its a white as whole milk.
2 rinse's in fresh tank water and into the system.
My system is full of pods, live mysid shrimps, multiple cleaner shrimps, etc.
I have never had a single issue nor even a time where i was slightly concerned.
Bayer dip will NOT kill off your system, its 100% safe if you do correctly.

and i know for a fact that bayer kills AEFW worms. i have a few friends who sadly ended up with them afetr the ASD live sale, and had to go thorugh the painfull process of dipping and redipping all corals for months, to get each cycle of eggs, which is the only thing it does not kill.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out Bayer does not kill Red Planaria. I dipped a frag with them for 15 minutes in 20ml/cup Bayer solution. After the rinse they were crawling around on the frag like no big deal.

I don't know what that concentration is but I've found at high doses (1:1 mixtures), that I've had red Planaria literally drop off the plugs, in about 30 seconds, however, many, but not all, were still alive (had any movement at all) after 5 minutes.That is as long as I observed for!

Eric G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An FYI anyone buying from ASD live sale that's buying Sps have a good 2 month quarantine process in place before putting any Sps in your show tank.

myboyblu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post, but at what point do you aclimate the coral. Doesn't seem like it would be needed if you go from lfs to bayer dip.

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does bayer kill the nasties or simply stun them so that they fall off the coral?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does bayer kill the nasties or simply stun them so that they fall off the coral?
A little bit of both or at least that has been my experience

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder whether most of prophylactic effect of the described dipping process is simply due to removal of the base? I suspect that most nasties are removed with the base and subsequent visual inspection of the coelenterate's tissue. Do you folks see things actually fall off the dipped tissue?

Back