Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a piece of rubble rock absorb too much once like two years ago and it took out a cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any evidence that this can kill ich whilst it's in the egg/cyst stage?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stefanm , the arithmetic should be straight forward if they the two active ingredients are at the same proportions. If it helps, the Bayer's active ingredients and percentages are:

Imidacloprid - 0.72%
beta-Cyfluthrin - 0.36%

As far as the dilution for dipping, that's all over the place. Check out THIS post....summary of what folks use is in Post #55.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@stefanm , the arithmetic should be straight forward if they the two active ingredients are at the same proportions. If it helps, the Bayer's active ingredients and percentages are:

Imidacloprid - 0.72%
beta-Cyfluthrin - 0.36%

As far as the dilution for dipping, that's all over the place. Check out THIS post....summary of what folks use is in Post #55.

The proportions are different, the description first, then the percentages.

Solomon contains time tested Imidacloprid and Beta- Cyfluthrin in an innovative oil dispersion formulation. It has a combination of systemic and contact properties which gives quick knockdown and anti-feeding effects. It is thus a broad segment insecticide for sucking and biting pests. The oil dispersion based on O-TEQ formulation (patent protected) ensures better rain fastness, optimized retention and penetration activity.

Beta-Cyfluthrin + Imidacloprid 300 OD
(8.49 + 19.81 % w/w)

As you can see, the
Beta-Cyfluthrin, is at a lower proportion, to be honest that doesn't bother me so much.
This does though "
The oil dispersion based on O-TEQ formulation (patent protected) ensures better rain fastness, optimized retention and penetration activity."

There is a possibility that the products have the same carrier, unfortunately there's no way of knowing for sure as far as I know. I'm very reluctant to assume the products are almost identical even though they're manufactured by the same company.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per my previous post, I had a look at the safety data sheet, this product also has naphthalene and glycerine in an oil base, not soluble in water, so I guess it's unsuitable.

However I've found the two active chemicals separately both products of bayer, the following is the strength of the compounds in liquid form.
Imidacloprid 17.8%
Beta-cyfluthrim 2.45%

So what would be my dose per chemical for a litre or gallon, standard dose?

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I found an online calculator, according to the calculator, based on 5 ml of each chemical I need to add the following,
Imidacloprid 118.61 ml water
Beta-cyfluthrim 29 ml water
This will give 157.61 ml of combined solution at the respective rates of 0.72 and 0.36% or there abouts.

Does this seem correct?

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm not sure if the question has already been asked but can I buy Bayer in the UK ?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, need a reality check because I’m getting conflicting info in the real world.

I’ve had a batch of softies and lps in qt for 60 days, and was due to transfer them to DT in two weeks right before I go on vacation. They were dipped twice 30 days apart when I get them.

Last week, I saw a large red segmented worm, and a few black sesame seed sized bugs on the large gsp. At some point in the store this GSP totally encased the rock or plug it was on, so I couldn’t replace it. I’m guessing the bugs came from eggs in the rock/plug and the worm was protected due to how tight the flesh is.

I plan to redip everything this week, do a second dip 30 days later after vacation then into DT. I am considering fragging the large gsp onto several plugs to open it up a bit.

Q- is Bayer safe for all of these corals in this batch?-

Ultra green branching hammer

Purple cap branching hammer

Duncan

A maze brain favite

A war favia

Pulsing Xenia

GSP - one big colony completely wrapped around plug plus one small one on plug

729f7f2e7cd902d29c80bc1922157145.jpg

Green fungia

Thanks

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how long should the QT be considered a pathogen vector?

Not sure I understand your question.

I QT 76 days to ensure encysted ich or velvet hatch and the free swimmers die of starvation.

Coral pests are dealt with using bayer, unless they somehow escape - as I suspect happened with the fully encrusted rock under the gsp.

I plan to frag it up and dip the pieces, then glue to new plugs or direct to a rock

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the QT now potentially contaminated with red segmented worms, and black sesame seed sized bugs and their eggs, etc.? How long must the QT lay fallow, or must the QT be broken down and sterilized?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the QT now potentially contaminated with red segmented worms, and black sesame seed sized bugs and their eggs, etc.? How long must the QT lay fallow, or must the QT be broken down and sterilized?

Well, yes.

But I’m moving everything into a clean 20long after I dip. Then the contaminated 10g is getting bleached

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand your question.

I QT 76 days to ensure encysted ich or velvet hatch and the free swimmers die of starvation.

Coral pests are dealt with using bayer, unless they somehow escape - as I suspect happened with the fully encrusted rock under the gsp.

I plan to frag it up and dip the pieces, then glue to new plugs or direct to a rock

They could have also been eggs. Bayer like any other dip, will not kill eggs of any of the pests.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could have also been eggs. Bayer like any other dip, will not kill eggs of any of the pests.

I understood that doing two dips 30 days apart would kill active bugs, and then any that hatched in the intervening period. The second dip is done before the newly hatched bugs can lay their own eggs so a repeat of the cycle is avoided .

I honestly think the gsp is so thickly gtown over the rock that the bayer didn’t penetrate. I plan to frag and dip on this next round

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood that doing two dips 30 days apart would kill active bugs, and then any that hatched in the intervening period. The second dip is done before the newly hatched bugs can lay their own eggs so a repeat of the cycle is avoided .

I honestly think the gsp is so thickly gtown over the rock that the bayer didn’t penetrate. I plan to frag and dip on this next round
Yes, entirely possible.
But you could also have some pests that hatched after the dip and reached a reproductive level in 4 weeks.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, entirely possible.
But you could also have some pests that hatched after the dip and reached a reproductive level in 4 weeks.

Yeah, but my understanding is that most coral pests have reproductivecrates > 30 days. Of course, me catching those rare dudes that reproduce <30 is just my luck

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back