Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone currently using this? My bottled just ran out after a couple years and the labels appear different. I just want to make sure its the same formula.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use Bayer exclusively an have done several tests with it on newly clipped frags from my tank and frags from people with known AEFW, red bugs, and black bugs.

Frags from my tank were used to see how long and how high of a dosage I could use. These frags included acros (smooth skin and everything else in between), monties, Lps, and softies.

I also used a 1/2 full plastic cup for the tests but have gone up to 25ml bayer for around 20 minutes with little evidence of stress.

The frags with known pests were dosed in stages along with me removing pests prior so I could experiment with out having to worry about killing the frag.

5ml in 1/2 a plastic cup of water for 5 mins stunned aefw but had little affect on red/black bugs

10ml in 1/2 a cup for 10 minutes killed aefw and red/black bugs but only around the last few minutes

15ml had instant results with aefw causing them to convulse and die within 3-4 minutes...ran out of bug samples to try this on...

Personally I use 10ml for 10 minutes and make a separate solution of 20ml and leave them in for 5 minutes with a 10 minute soak in clean tank water after. If pests are still seen (which I never have seen them after the 2nd dip) I'd go with the 20ml for another 5 mins.
also used a 1/2 full plastic cup for the tests but have gone up to 25ml bayer for around 20 minutes with little evidence of stress. " is your 1/2 cup measured ? or its just 1/2 of a plastic cup your using

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More information about Bayer and other dips.

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the steps I take before adding a frag. I picked this up from another forum from two reefers in particular, Whisperer and Flamron.

The first step is to start with a close visual inspection of your frag.

Here is the frag in the bag:

Darth Maul Porites
darth-maul.jpg

Wild Colony
new-purchase_zps5dbf6bf4.jpg

Frag on original plug (possibly crawling with all kinds of pests (AEFW, red bugs, black bugs, nudi's of all kinds, etc)

darth-maul-1.jpg

new-purchase1_zpsc94fbf5b.jpg

Got to get the frag off the plug (I always do this or if I cannot remove the frag from plug I then cover the plug with zap gel)

darth-maul-2.jpg

Yes, some of the frag remains on old plug but less likely to bring in eggs by removing old plug

darth-maul-3.jpg

Frag sitting in 4ounces of either frag water or your tank water (with plug removed!!)

darth-maul-4.jpg

new-purchase3_zps7a10480c.jpg

I then get out my "Bayer Advanced complete insect killer for Soil and Turf Concentrate" and a 10 ml syringe (This stuff is extremely hazardous, do not touch it with your skin, use in a well ventilated room and do not spill it.)

new-purchase4_zpsf9125623.jpg

Then add 10 ml's of Bayer to the 4 ounces of water in the cup (make sure you use the exact same bottle as I have photographed, there are different versions of Bayer with different ingredients in similar looking containers). Regarding dosage, I use 10 mls of Bayer, but some people use as little as 1.25 mls of this Bayer to 4 ounces of frag or tank water.

darth-maul-6.jpg

new-purchase5_zpseff9f1da.jpg

This is what the cup looks like with the Bayer

new-purchase6_zps5437ec12.jpg
Here is a question/comment. I use bayer almost exclusively for a dip. I have always used the ratio of 20ml bayer to 4cup tank water or 5ml per cup tank water. Now, that ratio has proven to work for me. My question is, do you think the difference between the amount of product to water ratio that you use has that much more killing power? I always see tons of dead critters when I dip at 5ml per cup. Do you think I am missing stuff by under dosing (according to your dose) or do you believe that once you get past a certain concentration the effectiveness stays the same?

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question/comment. I use bayer almost exclusively for a dip. I have always used the ratio of 20ml bayer to 4cup tank water or 5ml per cup tank water. Now, that ratio has proven to work for me. My question is, do you think the difference between the amount of product to water ratio that you use has that much more killing power? I always see tons of dead critters when I dip at 5ml per cup. Do you think I am missing stuff by under dosing (according to your dose) or do you believe that once you get past a certain concentration the effectiveness stays the same?
I don’t use Bayer anymore. Im concerned it is just too dangerous to use as a coral dip for our own health. I use melafix

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most use twice the amount of Bayer to water (10ml/cup) that you use. Check out my thread, I have a reference link to an article of Mike Paletta that gives information about that.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t use Bayer anymore. Im concerned it is just too dangerous to use as a coral dip for our own health. I use melafix
Same here, Melafix and Expel have been my go to dips for 2+ years. Being clear makes it easy to see what comes off the corals and the ingredients are natural vs man made insecticides.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, Melafix and Expel have been my go to dips for 2+ years. Being clear makes it easy to see what comes off the corals and the ingredients are natural vs man made insecticides.
Make that +2. I cap the dip at 5 min coral seems to get pretty ticked after that and I've heard others have losses.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of 1999, imidacloprid was the most widely used insecticide in the world. You should do your research before jumping to conclusions.

So it is not that I am universally against insecticides. But i think using an insecticide, such as Bayer, in your home has greater risks than using it outdoors, I don't have any scientific facts to prove it, but it seems inherently intuitive. Frankly, I am not really aware of the potential problems with Melafix, I have simply assumed it is safer to handle and use indoors. I believe any product that kills creatures requires careful handling though.

When I first made the post in 2012, I was not aware of melafix as a dip for AEFW. I am not aware if anyone has compared melafix to bayer in terms of efficacy in killing AEFW or other pests. But it seems that many vendors as well as hobbyists including myself have shifted away from bayer with the simple intention of killing coral pests and keeping as safe as possible.

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use as a recipe with either or both melafix and expel?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back