Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

phish18jed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have utilized this technique on more than 100 frags and I believe it to be successful against most of the pests we fear: red bugs, black bugs, AEFW, monti eating nudibranches and more. There is no scientific evidence of the effectiveness or safety of this dip, however there appear to be incredible numbers of reefers who have used this successfully. So the bottomline : the proof is empirical. I have used this on red dragon, Mr. Pacman, echinata, chalices, favias, basically anything with a skeletal body. So no, I do not dip anemones. I do not use revive or Coral rx or iodine after this although there are individuals that do, it is your call to make. I also wish to point out that this is most definitely not original to me, I utilized the efforts and handwork of other reefers to summarize.

Also, anytime I said "water", that is never tap water, it can always be tank water.
Is there another substitute for Bayer? None of the sites will ship to my area? There was one that was a huge bag for about $100 but I only haVe a 32g So my space is limited. Any suggestions would be a huge help

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another substitute for Bayer? None of the sites will ship to my area? There was one that was a huge bag for about $100 but I only haVe a 32g So my space is limited. Any suggestions would be a huge help
Read post #324

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the steps I take before adding a frag. I picked this up from another forum from two reefers in particular, Whisperer and Flamron.

The first step is to start with a close visual inspection of your frag.

Here is the frag in the bag:

Darth Maul Porites
darth-maul.jpg

Wild Colony
new-purchase_zps5dbf6bf4.jpg

Frag on original plug (possibly crawling with all kinds of pests (AEFW, red bugs, black bugs, nudi's of all kinds, etc)

darth-maul-1.jpg

new-purchase1_zpsc94fbf5b.jpg

Got to get the frag off the plug (I always do this or if I cannot remove the frag from plug I then cover the plug with zap gel)

darth-maul-2.jpg

Yes, some of the frag remains on old plug but less likely to bring in eggs by removing old plug

darth-maul-3.jpg

Frag sitting in 4ounces of either frag water or your tank water (with plug removed!!)

darth-maul-4.jpg

new-purchase3_zps7a10480c.jpg

I then get out my "Bayer Advanced complete insect killer for Soil and Turf Concentrate" and a 10 ml syringe (This stuff is extremely hazardous, do not touch it with your skin, use in a well ventilated room and do not spill it.)

new-purchase4_zpsf9125623.jpg

Then add 10 ml's of Bayer to the 4 ounces of water in the cup (make sure you use the exact same bottle as I have photographed, there are different versions of Bayer with different ingredients in similar looking containers). Regarding dosage, I use 10 mls of Bayer, but some people use as little as 1.25 mls of this Bayer to 4 ounces of frag or tank water.

darth-maul-6.jpg

new-purchase5_zpseff9f1da.jpg

This is what the cup looks like with the Bayer

new-purchase6_zps5437ec12.jpg
Will this work? I cannot find the product you are using i am going for doing your method, do you have any advice, thank you!

Attachments

• 1638564019045984662756595560382.jpg
    1638564019045984662756595560382.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 37

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used this stuff and I worked for Bayer for 17 years. I know a dealer who swore by this stuff but started using the red Sea dip and no longer uses this. I've been involved with turfgrass and chemicals my entire career and would never use this in a reef tank. Even after rinsing no way I would put an insecticide residual in a reef tank. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night. You do you..

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using bayers complete for 5-6 years. I swapped up dips when I had ran out of bayers and ended up with red bugs. Right back to bayers. I've never seen any negative affects, polyps usually come out in the dip. I also found it's pretty hard to OD, I can mix it to a light milk color and sps come out fine.

I do dip in disposable cups, wear latex disposable gloves and rinse well. So far so good.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost sexy and skunk shrimp on more than one occassion due to frag plugs and very large coral pieces not being rinsed as thoroughly as I believed they were.

In fact, I just used Bayer to dip about 8 frags six weeks ago. Only about 4 of the corals were left on the plugs (didn't want to risk damage to the frags) ... they went through THREE rinse containers after the dip ... and yet there was still enough residual Bayer on the plug to kill a skunk cleaner shrimp that got within a few inches of it.

So, if you use Bayer (I still do but intend to research Melafix now.) make sure you:

• remove the coral from the plug — most plugs are porous and absorb, then slowly release, the dip
  • Do not dip large colonies — the internal skeleton will act like a straw, at its fresh-cut base, that draws the dip up into the colony, then slowly releases it back out
  • Pay extra close attention if you have insect related CUC in your tank – shrimp, lobsters, etc.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used this stuff and I worked for Bayer for 17 years. I know a dealer who swore by this stuff but started using the red Sea dip and no longer uses this. I've been involved with turfgrass and chemicals my entire career and would never use this in a reef tank. Even after rinsing no way I would put an insecticide residual in a reef tank. But hey whatever helps you sleep at night. You do you..
I'm only doing it based off the trials and errors of many others that have done it first, trust me it still sounds crazy to me and I would never think of it but hey what do I know.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost sexy and skunk shrimp on more than one occassion due to frag plugs and very large coral pieces not being rinsed as thoroughly as I believed they were.

In fact, I just used Bayer to dip about 8 frags six weeks ago. Only about 4 of the corals were left on the plugs (didn't want to risk damage to the frags) ... they went through THREE rinse containers after the dip ... and yet there was still enough residual Bayer on the plug to kill a skunk cleaner shrimp that got within a few inches of it.

So, if you use Bayer (I still do but intend to research Melafix now.) make sure you:

• remove the coral from the plug — most plugs are porous and absorb, then slowly release, the dip
  • Do not dip large colonies — the internal skeleton will act like a straw, at its fresh-cut base, that draws the dip up into the colony, then slowly releases it back out
  • Pay extra close attention if you have insect related CUC in your tank – shrimp, lobsters, etc.
I did not know the plug needs to be removed that totally makes sense and another thing i didn't think about, so what about every other dip im sure something always stays behind well hopefully 3 months in q.t it should be depleted...thank you for the input!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using bayers complete for 5-6 years. I swapped up dips when I had ran out of bayers and ended up with red bugs. Right back to bayers. I've never seen any negative affects, polyps usually come out in the dip. I also found it's pretty hard to OD, I can mix it to a light milk color and sps come out fine.

I do dip in disposable cups, wear latex disposable gloves and rinse well. So far so good.

Thanks that sounds good and puts a calm in the nerve that its not so difficult, and can be done. Thanks

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve used Bayer for 7+ years and never had any issues. I soak in Bauer for about 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly in clean saltwater, then soak in tank water for another 20 minutes then glue in tank. Never had a problem.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh. I always remove from the plug prior to bayer dip and toss it. If I have to I glue to a new plug right before placing it in the tank. However I usually needed to glue right to the rock.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back