Discussion in 'Boom Corals' started by BoomCorals, Sep 3, 2017.

Bayer VS The Dreaded Acropora Eating Flatworm

For those who are unaware, there is an alternative dipping method out there using Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer for Turf and Soil...
  1. Aj.

Aj. Member

What’re your results? I jut ordered some herbtana.

2. Outdrsyguy1

Outdrsyguy1 Active Member

Definitely looking forward to hearing how things go! I’ve definitely been decimated by aefw a couple times and had to throw away frags or have them die in quarantine while I’m trying to cleanse them.

3. psidriven

psidriven Active Member

Any updates on Bayer alternatives? It seems harder to find. Can the granules be dissolved and used? I seem to see the granules available more.

4. miyags

miyags Valuable Member

Thats a good question about the granular.I don't see why it wouldn't work,just add water.Someone needs to take a closer look at the ingredients.But WOW 21 bucks on amazon for a 40 oz bottle? .The word must be out it's being used in the coral trade...The price doubled.I paid about 6 bucks on sale.

5. vanpire

vanpire Active Member

I was able to find it at Lowe’s in San Jose and Phoenix for $12.95.

6. Murr7

Murr7 Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I have been battling aefw and been using Bayer, it has been working but someone suggested melafix in my thread and I used it with great results. It is also clear so you can see what is coming off the frags which I think is a nice plus. I'll still use both melafix and Bayer in my dipping regimen but for those who can't get Bayer melafix may be another option.

7. Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

So im going to start getting coral. Based on what Im reading if I do a cup of saltwater I will use 30ml of Bayer? Then how long do i leave my coral in the Bayer for? then I do a saltwater or few dips after? Anyone have a simple step by step?

8. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

What's your protocal with Melafix? Mixture and duration(dip time). Have you dipped any smooth skin acros?
    How many acros do you think you have dipped?

9. FarmerTy

FarmerTy Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

Great work Matt! Its always good to see experimental science in this hobby!

Just wanted to share but I've stopped using Bayer lately and it has been my go-to for 5 years now. I have been slowly transitioning to potassium chloride (Home Depot - water softener pellets) for my dips now.

I've seen it kill almost everything with the exception of vermatiid worms, but not even a nuclear bomb could kill those.

The one thing I haven't gotten to test it on is AEFW because I haven't gotten a sample to try it on yet. Anybody want to send me an AEFW riddled frags? I've been asking in Austin but nobody ever gives me one.

I have faith it kills them too as it pretty much has a kill-all effect. It does tick off the acros more than Bayer.

My regiment:

-2 teaspoons of KCl/1gal tank water - Will raise K from 400 ppm (avg reef tank) to 1600 ppm.
    -Dip for 30-60 mins... Keep an eye on acros and if they alone excessively, keep duration shorter.
    -shake corals in water to dislodge any pests
    -no need to rinse, its just potassium and chloride.

Beauty of it is I don't have to play with pesticides in my house and the dip water goes outside or down my drain. The sudden increase in potassium kills all the critters but the acros are fine after the dip. They will get ticked but I havent had one die on me. Supply side, its cheap because you basically get the giant bag of potassium chloride (water softener pellets) and have a 10+ year supply of dipping solution.

I got this technique from Laser who tried to do something similar to work on an in-tank treatment for his brother's AEFW infested tank. It didn't work as the increased potassium killed everything, fish, CUC, and critters and probably nuked the tank of biological diversity causing its downfall...but we got an awesome dip out of it.

Hopefully others can try it and report back regarding AEFW destruction. It still doesn't do anything to the eggs I believe so QT is always best.

[​IMG]

10. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

Great info thanks Ty. I haven’t gotten any frags in from wholesale lately that had any aefw. But next time I do I’d be happy to test this out on them.

Have you tested this on soft skinned and deepwater sensitive stuff?

FarmerTy likes this.
  11. FarmerTy

I did an A. caroliniana and an A. echinata with no issues though I didn't dip them as long because I'm a chicken. I did 30 mins and stopped.

12. BoomCorals

It’ll be a while before I probably get any new shipments that have it. Honestly even in wholesale and Mari/wild, it’s been rather rare occurrence. But I’ll test dip time length to see what is the effect is. Also will test to see if they die at some point after the dip like they do with Bayer and coralrx/revive. For example even if an aefw lives and manages to stay on a coral after a 10-15 minute coralrx dip, it still dies within an hour or two later.

FarmerTy likes this.
  13. FarmerTy

I love it! You're awesome Matt! Thanks for doing this in the name of science!

14. BoomCorals

Hey my biggest complaints about Bayer are that you can’t see what comes off, and you have to wear long gloves and be careful with the pesticides. If this is gentler on acros and works just as well as Bayer, I’m all in.

Any idea of its effect on things like algae or aiptasia?

FarmerTy likes this.
  15. FarmerTy

I wouldn't say gentler. Bayer is like nothing to most acros. The potassium chloride you'll actually see sliming and mesenterial filaments being released but to my observations, it appears to work just as well to me, enough to warrant me to stop using Bayer.

Again though, I haven't had a confirmed kill of AEFW that I could visibly see so the verdict is still out there. Until I can get my hands on an infected piece, jury is still out.

I mainly decided to make the leap of faith because it killed everything that was an animal on the frags (minus vermatiids) and because I just had my first child and didn't want pesticides in the house any more that I made the decision to swap.

No algae death that I witnessed but I always cut plugs off and anything not flesh so there really is never any algae to dip. I can try this week and just dip some ulva and red turf in it and see what happens.

I don't have any aiptasia I could try it on but that would be interesting if it did kill those ********!

16. BoomCorals

I’m sure I have an aiptasia or two I can test on. :p

In my experience soft skinned acros die about 50% of the time after coralrx/revive. So if potcl doesn’t do that, that’s a bonus.

FarmerTy likes this.
  17. FarmerTy

I've never used coralrx/revive but that would corroborate with what I've heard over the years. I'll redip some smooth skin acros again during the algae test just to verify for you.

Kactai and BoomCorals like this.
  18. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

They die at about the 10-15min mark so far. I'm using 5g of Brightwell Potassion-P in 1/2gal. Mfg instructions: Each g of Potassion-P will increase the [K+] in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by ~129 ppm.]
    DSC_0387.jpg DSC_0366.jpg

I'll drop this in your tank next time!
    DSC_0401.jpg

i_am_mclovin and FarmerTy like this.
  19. FarmerTy

Wow! That is awesome! Thanks for experimenting and sharing!

Did you ever try putting them back in regular tank water and see if they become active again?

You didn't drop a frag of those eggs in my tank last week did you!?

20. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I meant to do that and forgot. I think I'll have another chance....:(

[​IMG]
    Never, those are headed for the trash.

FarmerTy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted