Bayers Dip, which corals are a NO GO

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've dipped a few of my first corals 7-8 months ago and I am ready to buy more.

Assuming the list would be long as to what TOO dip, so what corals can't handle the dip?

Looking to buy a lobophyllia atm but the "wants" are growing:).

Tyvm!

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t found a coral that can’t handle bayer. I even dipped my anemone

Oh wow, that was one I read not too. I read not to dip hammers as well.

Did you do the 5min minimum with the nem or shorter lwngth?

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I've found a lot of wiggle room in terms of concentration of dip and time. Have yet to see a negative effect dipping hundreds of acros, even smooth skinned/deepwaters, which many reef "dips" seem to kill.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too put every coral through Bayer, never an issue. Not saying it's correct, just my experience.

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped my frogspawn so i dont think a hammer would have any problems. I did 20ml to 32 ounces. Needed that much water as it was a large coral.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer works on the central nervous system. So if it has one, Bayer will kill it. If it does not have a central nervous system, it should be fine.

Do nems not have central nervous systems? I am totally looking that up now. I truly don't know enough about them to decide on dipped or not.

Always rinse after Bayer. I have 2 bowls of rinse water after a Bayer dip

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Always rinse after Bayer. I have 2 bowls of rinse water after a Bayer dip

Important point...set up two rinsing stations and don't skip this part. As to nems, I've never dipped them but as mentioned above, some have.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything in 10 percent bayer to water. I’m no pro or long term bayer user but I had a big issue with red planarian flatworms and I noticed at around 3-5 minutes the flatworms start to fall and spasm at ten minutes they never moved again so if I’m confident in the corals health I’ll dip for 15 minutes only once or twice have I dropped that to ten for my hammer and some torches that went through rough shipping. Pure anecdotal guys but if want to see the nem I made a video for my coral supplier

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dipped a few of my first corals 7-8 months ago and I am ready to buy more.

Assuming the list would be long as to what TOO dip, so what corals can't handle the dip?

Looking to buy a lobophyllia atm but the "wants" are growing:).

Tyvm!
Bayer killed my gobys friend of two years, I looked around and other people had the same problem even with 2-3 rinses....anyone else have that issue? I won’t use it again because I love shrimp

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bayer killed my gobys friend of two years, I looked around and other people had the same problem even with 2-3 rinses....anyone else have that issue? I won’t use it again because I love shrimp

Since this post, I have dipped about 10 frags and they were placed in seeded tanks with livestock. A 10gl qt tank with a wrasse would be my guess for the quickest effect of bayers on a fish since its the smallest amount of water. Zero casualties. I do however rinse 4 times before placing in a tank. The 2 corals that worried me most was a suncoral and a torch as they were open before placing in the dip (assuming they took some bayers with them when closing). Everything seems happy.

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this post, I have dipped about 10 frags and they were placed in seeded tanks with livestock. A 10gl qt tank with a wrasse would be my guess for the quickest effect of bayers on a fish since its the smallest amount of water. Zero casualties. I do however rinse 4 times before placing in a tank. The 2 corals that worried me most was a suncoral and a torch as they were open before placing in the dip (assuming they took some bayers with them when closing). Everything seems happy.

Never effected my fish, snails, crabs, or corals badly either.... just the shrimp

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much bayer is the right amount to use? This is in place of Coral RX and other dips?

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much bayer is the right amount to use? This is in place of Coral RX and other dips?
+1 in for this info.
Also, if I have newly (<3 months) acquired corals, can I pull them out and rinse or should I let it be with those guys and only dip new ones?

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bayer-insecticidal-coral-dip.244803/

I just pour Bayers till the water is 75% white. Mix the bayers water then set a 10 minute timer (squeezing water over coral(s) every 5-10 seconds). 4 separate cups of rinsing tank water away from bayers water.

1-Pour clean water on coral OVER the old water so no old water gets into new cleansing water.
2-Place coral(s) in new rinsing water and shake it while under water.
Remove and start on step 1 again.

So far so good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back