BB tanks or DSB?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to get a consensus if you guys like BB or DSB for looks and functionality for your zoa tanks...

how about a pros and cons?

I think this will be a great discussion..

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JGoslee said:
My 58gal is bb. I like the look of bare bottom tanks and being able to have high flow is nice.

welcome to the boards...

do you have any issues with any of your parameters?

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarvinsReef said:
JGoslee said:
My 58gal is bb. I like the look of bare bottom tanks and being able to have high flow is nice.

welcome to the boards...

do you have any issues with any of your parameters?
Thanks for the welcome Marvin!
I never had a problem with any of the parameters.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coralnutz said:
Well here we go... The BB or DSB thread... I don't think we will have any problems over here cause we are all cool and value each others opinions. But I know this topic has caused mass drama on every other board I have seen it brought up on. So let's keep it cool as ice folks...

That being said, I use BB now and anyone that uses DSB is a jackarse... :argue:

I am totally just kidding folks... I like BB cause I can crank up the flow... I had a shallow sandbed of like 1 inch and it sucked. I think you need to go DSB or none at all, but the 1 inch didn't work out great eather time I tried it.. :)

what would you consider DSB? 3" or 4" fine?

I really like the idea of having lots of flow too.. I hate seeing detrius on the sand bed...

for BB, is 30x-40x flow fine?

Thanks

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that, would just be worried about chemicals leeching from the cement thats all??

Cheers Shelton.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
revhtree said:
I do have sand. It's only about 1-2" mostly, and maybe 3" in smoe spots. Do I think having a BB is bad? No. Do I think having my sand is bad? No. The reason I keep sand, and the only reason, is I just like the look for my tank better.

As far as flow is concerned, to be really honest I dont know what it is. LOL! I have 3 Maxijets, 2 seio 820's and for the return a quiet one 4000.

I dont have any issues keeping sps. I have over 25 different varieties and they are the most flow demanding coral as we know. Not only do I keep them alive, they grow and have good colors. ;)

I do have a BB prop tank now though, and I am liking it. I dont have to worry with cleaning the sand. That would be my only problem with a sand bed.

So, there's my 2.

how about the purpose of DSB.. I've ask around and some say 4" is fine and some say more..

watcha think? coz I also like DSB but if I do a 4"+ on the 32g, then I'll be losing 4" out of the 18" height...

BB, what I was going to do is 1" PVC zip tied to eggcrates for the flow to get around to get rid of detrius build up...

help me out here... :)

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bb and a ssb, probably 2 inches average, more in some areas, less in others. I like both for different reasons, but imo it comes down to what you think looks good. The main reason i went with bb is that the 180 is acrylic and i was worried about scratches.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about an inch and three fourth deep sandbed. i like it but the sand is so fine that when i clean the glass, i get a mini dust storm. I like the look of sand and i like to keep it clean. With that being said, i basically only would do a BB if i had a SPS system and had to krank up the flow so that there wasnt a storm all day......

Steve

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a 3" DSB would work fine? plan on doing a water change every 2-3 weeks.. total water volume including the sump/refuge area will be around 35g - 40g...

my sump/refuge is going to be a 22g (24"L x 12"W x 18"H)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say 3 inch would be the minimum depth. You should be ok with that.....I have about 4-5 in my prop tank I'm setting up. I had quite a bit of sand I needed to use from a tank in a restaurant that I had set up. I took it down to change over to freshwater.....So I have a bunch of equipment too:). Good reason to set something up....I say go for it.....

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet... would you guys say 30-40 lbs would be enough to make a 3" sand bed for a 24"L x 18"W tank? I plan on purchasing half alive and half dead sand... or seed it from friend's LS..

Thanks again...

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 DSB tanks- 55 L and 56 column. I have no issues, water parameters are good, even nitrates, probably because I have taken pains to add stuff that uses them (macro algaes, clams, scallops, mangroves in the sump, you name it). Life is happy.

I like the way BB tanks look though. Two people in my local club have them and they are super nice. As for functionality, they say they both are doing fine with the water quality. And I can say their livestock looks great. Biggest prob they apparently have is some of our LFS' not wanting to sell corals/fish to them once they say they have a BB tank. Or using the fact that they are running a BB tank to get out of the livestock guarantee if there is one on their sw products. I guess there is some prejudice out there?

:)
Laurie

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, Marvin, when you buy the half dead, you can go into Home Depot with some vinegar and tear a little hole in the bag of sand. Put a drop or two of vinegar on it, and if it bubbles and has a reaction, it's the calcium based sand. Cheapo route, but a good one...

I thought Randy Holmes-Farley's articles on silicate versus calcium sand was interesting. Not so much prob with leaching or diatom growth (algae blooms) with it as was commonly thought? Neat guy, imo...

Laurie

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Laurie..

MarvinsReef said:
sweet... would you guys say 30-40 lbs would be enough to make a 3" sand bed for a 24"L x 18"W tank? I plan on purchasing half alive and half dead sand... or seed it from friend's LS..

Thanks again...

anyone can help me out with this? so I know approx how much sand/LS I should buy...

chemguy85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a DSB on all of my tanks. the only problem i have with it is in my zoa dominated tank. i have these 2 damsels and a GSM clown that are all the devil when it comes to through sand on stuff and turning things over. I never had this problem when i had my angler in the tank but since he passed on the other inhabitants became hellians. When i move in less than a month these fish will all be going to another tank then maybe my zoas will be able 2 sit and start 2 grow.
So my opinioin on the subject is that DSB are great as long as you don't have hellians for fish. Ben

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back