BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the way they are at costco too. I just knock on the window to get the butcher's attention and ask him for the cryo pack. He just weighs it and slaps a label on it.

How many pounds is that and what are they charging per pound. From doing some light reading it sounds like the price has really gone up on them in the last few years.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many pounds is that and what are they charging per pound. From doing some light reading it sounds like the price has really gone up on them in the last few years.
the last one I bought earlier this year was a cryo pack with two 4 bone slabs. Total weight was 9.3 lbs and price was $4.99/lb.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last one I bought earlier this year was a cryo pack with two 4 bone slabs. Total weight was 9.3 lbs and price was $4.99/lb.

That's not bad. I think what I saw that was already cut up was close to that price. I will be at Costco this weekend to get a brisket so I may ask the butcher if they have any.

Saw an article yesterday stating that short ribs have become a popular item at the few BBQ joints in Texas that will server them. Most don't because they say it is hard to make money on them. I think they said they charge $15 a pound and have very little profit in that. One owner stated he had seen the wholesale price get up to $7.99lb for them.

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg you do realize Prime Ribeye is cheaper than those Rib bones when it comes to how much meat you get?
Alton, Yes, I do tealize that "Prime Ribeye (In Texas) is cheaper than those Rib bones (in California) when it comes to how much meat you get? :)

In So California, Choice ribeye is 8.99 to 9.99/lb. Like you Texans screwed us over with Enron, making us overpay for electricity, you obviously make us overpay for beef too! Dang, and just when I was starting to like Texas again, you remind me why I was mad at them! :) But don't worry, a nice slab of beef short ribs will make me happy again. I'll PM you my shipping address so you can ship me some beef to apologize.;)

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I compare beef ribs to fajitas. Taste darn good but at one time they gave them away because no one wanted it. And your right beef ribs are darn good, but I cry at the price! And as far as Enron I work for a publicly traded company and the amount of paperwork and reports we have to fill out because of Enron is astounding. No friend of mine either. Also I doubt if Texas even exports beef, most comes from Australia, Canada, Mexico, or South America? And your Co-Californians must love Texas because they have imported here in the millions or so it seems. Sort of like the dust bowl reversing itself? But I Like Californians like Merle Haggard, Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went online at our largest grocery store chain here in South Texas and for beef ribs for BBQ $5.29 a lb, but for Kosher short ribs $11.97 a lb. Can I just send you a coral for forgiveness, it will be a whole lot cheaper.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kosher short ribs
images

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! There are some talented pit masters on here for sure. I have a master forge cast iron setup- can smoke but not ideal so I am in the market for a more dedicated smoker, then keep the MF for grilling. I had a Weber kettle grill for about 10 years- was a great grill! Cheers!
AAFDD352-05C8-4887-B25A-2DA61BDA0CE2.jpeg
89588ADB-080B-456E-8F89-FC51F3279212.jpeg
60E39802-B39F-4DB8-99E1-2C80CA0B64C7.jpeg
A80FE657-B3C8-4982-A1C1-4B3034882CFF.jpeg

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went online at our largest grocery store chain here in South Texas and for beef ribs for BBQ $5.29 a lb, but for Kosher short ribs $11.97 a lb. Can I just send you a coral for forgiveness, it will be a whole lot cheaper.
Dang, I’m not mad any more. They are getting you too!!!

OP
OP
gcarroll

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! There are some talented pit masters on here for sure. I have a master forge cast iron setup- can smoke but not ideal so I am in the market for a more dedicated smoker, then keep the MF for grilling. I had a Weber kettle grill for about 10 years- was a great grill! Cheers!
AAFDD352-05C8-4887-B25A-2DA61BDA0CE2.jpeg
89588ADB-080B-456E-8F89-FC51F3279212.jpeg
60E39802-B39F-4DB8-99E1-2C80CA0B64C7.jpeg
A80FE657-B3C8-4982-A1C1-4B3034882CFF.jpeg

Wow your grilling is top notch! That loin in the last pick looks heavenly!

As for smoker, like a skimmer, we need to know what parameters you are looking at.
How much food do you need to smoke at one time?
How much work do you want to do?
How much do you want to pay?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only worked 8 hours yesterday and came home to work on the tank, and that means BBQ. Re-scaped and acid washed the rock i pulled out, while I was busy the kids got to the ribs, but at least they left me some.
20180828_183423.jpg 20180828_193957.jpg 20180828_211005.jpg

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your grilling is top notch! That loin in the last pick looks heavenly!

As for smoker, like a skimmer, we need to know what parameters you are looking at.
How much food do you need to smoke at one time?
How much work do you want to do?
How much do you want to pay?

Thanks! And yes, that loin was perfect. As for the smoker I would like to be able to do a good amount of food but doesn’t have to be huge- maybe like 2 racks of ribs and some chicken thighs, or 1 whole turkey. No need for total automation- the process is part of the fun for me. As for price I’d like to keep it under $1k (new tank build is in process ;)). I like the pellet idea but I would also like to be able to do hardwood so I believe pellet smokers are out- unless there are any that can do both?

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess with college football season about to start this weekend I should stop being lazy and clean the smoker finally. Anyone have any unique meat suggestions/recipes (e.g. bacon explosion, buffalo turds, etc.) to try out this season?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm turning in my man card. I was going to smoke some wings last night. Pulled out the weber.. and I was almost out of charcoal. :mad::( Had to cook them in the oven.;Sorry

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I’m not mad any more. They are getting you too!!!

Yep. But we can have some good sales, just you are forced to buy what is on sale which may not be what you are in the mood for. I like to pick up a chuck roast when they are on sale. Usually over $5 a pound but Krogers will sometimes run them for around $2 to $2.50 and I will pick one up then. I'm not a fan of buying steaks and freezing them.
I'm turning in my man card. I was going to smoke some wings last night. Pulled out the weber.. and I was almost out of charcoal. :mad::( Had to cook them in the oven.;Sorry

I'm the opposite, hate that football is starting. At least I'm getting rid of cable so now I can't complain that all I can find are football games.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You picked a good weekend to run out. Lowes, Home Depot and Wal-mart always have labor day sales. They don't have prices listed but Lowes current price says it is good thru today so I would assume the sale price will start Thursday or Friday. They usually have the 2 18.6lb bags for under $10. I usually buy a couple to keep as backup to my lump coal. They do limit to 5 double bags. I remember a few years ago on the bbq board that those guys would buy them by the pallet when they would have the sale.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You picked a good weekend to run out. Lowes, Home Depot and Wal-mart always have labor day sales. They don't have prices listed but Lowes current price says it is good thru today so I would assume the sale price will start Thursday or Friday. They usually have the 2 18.6lb bags for under $10. I usually buy a couple to keep as backup to my lump coal. They do limit to 5 double bags. I remember a few years ago on the bbq board that those guys would buy them by the pallet when they would have the sale.
Just picked up 4 bags last night from Lowe's.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back