BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a few racks of ribs on my Rec Tec this weekend. Love me some ribs! 5DF694F1-D5F5-4021-9833-F6EEB2ED0BA2.jpeg
I did some ribs yesterday, but it wasn't my best effort. 2 hours open, 1 1/2 hours wrapped in foil. Checked the temp through the foil and it showed 204F so I pulled the foil off to finished. Thought they felt tougher than they should so checked again and it only read 186F. Wrapped them back up before finishing them with sauce but the damage was done.
They weren't bad (my wife said they were still better than you can get in a restaraunt) but normally turn out better.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did some ribs yesterday, but it wasn't my best effort. 2 hours open, 1 1/2 hours wrapped in foil. Checked the temp through the foil and it showed 204F so I pulled the foil off to finished. Thought they felt tougher than they should so checked again and it only read 186F. Wrapped them back up before finishing them with sauce but the damage was done.
They weren't bad (my wife said they were still better than you can get in a restaraunt) but normally turn out better.

I had some ribs on a green egg at families house the other weekend and they were really good but dried out a little.
I wrap with butter and a little apple juice/cider to help keep them moist and to help with tenderness.
He just wrapped them and I think that is the difference.
I know some will spray a water/apple juice on them occasionally before wrapping.

Just curios what others do?

What do people put in when wrapping?

Do you spray to keep moist before wrapping?

Do you finish them off with a glaze/sauce after wrapping?

I would also be curious what others recipe is for rib rubs?

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty good luck with the 3-2-1 method. I add butter, honey, and brown sugar, plus a little bit of apple juice, when I wrap them. Still trying to dial in the right temperature though. I've done 225F for the entire time, and this time I did 235F until it was out of the foil, and then 225F. I haven't measured meat temperature though - maybe I'll try that next time.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some ribs on a green egg at families house the other weekend and they were really good but dried out a little.
I wrap with butter and a little apple juice/cider to help keep them moist and to help with tenderness.
I know some will spray a water/apple juice on them occasionally before wrapping.

Just curios what others do? I have sprayed with apple juice about every hour when they are not wrapped, but I don't do that every time (but I do think it is a good idea)

What do people put in when wrapping? I add butter, honey, and brown sugar when I wrap. I also add a little bit of apple juice and place the ribs meat side down for this phase.

Do you spray to keep moist before wrapping? See above.

Do you finish them off with a glaze/sauce after wrapping? I add sauce after I unwrap them for the final hour. I re-apply again when they are close to done.

I would also be curious what others recipe is for rib rubs? I've only bought pre-made rubs. Would like to know diy recipes as well!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wrap with butter and brown sugar. If I am worried about them being dry I'll but some apple juice in with it.
I don't spray.
I do use Sweet Baby Ray's sauce to finish for the last 30 minutes or so.

I did a very simple rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt, and paprika. I kick it up when I'm not also cooking for the wife.

frank the tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the grill got put together:

upload_2019-5-6_9-50-1.png

They put it on sale last week for 399.00 and I paid 499.00 and they gave me the extra 100.00 off..
That was a good buy at 499.00 so 399.00 is a steal and I guess it goes on sale for that price a couple of times a year.
It is on sale again for 499.00
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ill-18ccfu24bttrplltxcfp/18ccfu24bttrplltxcfp

I bough it from Dickssportinggoods and is especially made for them. The model is PG24ZG which is the same size as the DLX with the SG internals. The DLX sells for 700.00 and the SG is 800.00 so 399.00 I think I got a good deal.

This grill is nice because it has a clean out for the pellets. An external slide for direct and indirect grilling. It also has a ash clean out system. It has two meat probes and a viewer window for the pellets. Most importantly it has a bottle cap opener on it :). Lots of features.

----------------------------------------

Anyway Anyone who knows me knows I research allot when making larger purchases. I also like to get a really good price. I spent allot of time on the forums, talking to people and companies. I seriously been researching for two months.

Here are a few things I learned through my research.

First thing is these are mechanical units with high heat and there are going to be failures and problems even with the most expensive units. Example even Yoder has issues like they have a paint pealing so you want a company that stand behind their units. Warranty is important because of this.

Another thing is there are a ton of companies and not all are going to be around eventually. Very hot item right now, So buying form a larger company, a company that has been around a while or a company that does more than just make pellet grills can also help. So warranty is useless if the company is gone.
You also you are most likely going to need parts if you plan on keeping it a while. Igniters or even the auger may need replacement eventually so having a company that is around going to be around is important.

Warranty also means nothing if a company does not stand behind it.

Also Traeger seems to have allot of issues but they do not. I researched it and found lots of people with issues but the thing is they own the biggest part of the market by far. So even if it is a small percentage it will seem like more because there are so many out there. They also are one of the top companies when it comes to standing behind their product when their is a issue. nothing wrong with them.

Some other companies to look at are Yoder, Camp Chef, Green Mountain grills, Gorilla grills, Louisiana grills and Rec Tec. There are a few others but these are the big ones that come up allot and should provide good service and also be around..

I also heard being stainless is a big deal. I guess a black grill in the sun can get over 160 degrees inside just from the sun. I believe it, the temps were barely above 70 this weekend and my grill was hot to the touch.

I have had my camp chef for over two years now I love. I recommend getting the sear box as well. There is nothing better than a reverse seared ribeye steak.
536400085b9bdd9658984959d47e13ba.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curios what others do? I have sprayed with apple juice about every hour when they are not wrapped, but I don't do that every time (but I do think it is a good idea)

What do people put in when wrapping? I add butter, honey, and brown sugar when I wrap. I also add a little bit of apple juice and place the ribs meat side down for this phase.

Do you spray to keep moist before wrapping? See above.

Do you finish them off with a glaze/sauce after wrapping? I add sauce after I unwrap them for the final hour. I re-apply again when they are close to done.

I would also be curious what others recipe is for rib rubs? I've only bought pre-made rubs. Would like to know diy recipes as well!

I make my own rubs except for ribs, I really want to though.

I wrap with butter and brown sugar. If I am worried about them being dry I'll but some apple juice in with it.
I don't spray.
I do use Sweet Baby Ray's sauce to finish for the last 30 minutes or so.

I did a very simple rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion salt, and paprika. I kick it up when I'm not also cooking for the wife.

Sweet Bay rays is good.. I use it allot.

I like heat and Sandy does not so it is a balancing act for me on everything. One reason I like ribs is I can make mine separate or I have to add heat later which is not nearly as good.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had my camp chef for over two years now I love. I recommend getting the sear box as well. There is nothing better than a reverse seared ribeye steak.
536400085b9bdd9658984959d47e13ba.jpg

I thought about getting one but right now I have a gas grill with a infrared searer on it. That grill may need replacing next year.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit o' everything this last Sunday. Only thing I wasn't too keen on were the thick cut short ribs. For some reason they picked up too much smoke, as if that's even possible! [emoji849]
8333c8feb2e7f78a19022f1608dd7e57.jpg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little bit o' everything this last Sunday. Only thing I wasn't too keen on were the thick cut short ribs. For some reason they picked up too much smoke, as if that's even possible! [emoji849]
8333c8feb2e7f78a19022f1608dd7e57.jpg

I think there can be to much smoke. Smoke is supposed to enhance the taste of the meat not over power it.
I hate meat that taste like a ash tray.

Just like anything else there can be too much same as rubs or sauce.. It is suppsoed to enhance not be all you can taste.

Each person has their own taste.. It depends on the food how much I like too..

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it can be to much smoke. Smoke is supposed to enhance the taste of the meat not over power it.
I hate meat that taste like a ash tray.

Just like anything else there can be too much same as rubs or sauce.. It is suppsoed to enhance not be all you can taste.

I agree 100%. Everything else came out just right. I'm pretty good about keeping the pit going with only thin blue smoke - it's the heavy white, or even worse, grey, that usually causes a strong taste. The short ribs were the only ones overwhelmed and it all went on at the same time and with the same wood.

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet baby rays with some mustard and Worcester's .Is where its at will be the best sauce you have had

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it totally taboo to say I love to smoke fish?

Nope, not at all! I grew up in Florida where smoked kingfish, mackeral, and mullet were darn near staples. I LOVE me some smoked fish dip. . . mmmm.

Now if you were smoking clownfish, that might be a problem. :D

Tony Sini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my buddies even take some fish i throw back and make some pretty good stuff out of them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back