BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those look like Go Carts:p

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics but did a snake river farms brisket on Sunday. Not my best cook but was still the best brisket I have done.

I can't bring myself to pay that for a brisket. Wish my Costco would have the Wagyu briskets again.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't bring myself to pay that for a brisket. Wish my Costco would have the Wagyu briskets again.

Was reading a article the other day saying brisket prices are rising because pellet grills have made them much easier to cook...

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading a article the other day saying brisket prices are rising because pellet grills have made them much easier to cook...

I really haven't noticed an increase, though Costco is different every time I go. It is already popular here in Texas so maybe that is why I'm not noticing an increase.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I first got my Traeger I never paid over $0.99/ lb but that was while Traeger still held the patent for the pellet feed system and not near as many of them were on the market.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I have been a little bored doing the standard fare on the smoker like pork butts, ribs etc and have been looking for different things.

Well this time I tried french dips... Worked out great.
Made it with eye of the round. I did one with just onions and another batch with onions, green peppers and mushrooms for more like a philly.

1564502790838.png

1564502625399.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been a little bored doing the standard fare on the smoker like pork butts, ribs etc and have been looking for different things.

Made it with eye of the round. I did one with just onions and another batch with onions, green peppers and mushrooms for more like a philly.

1564502790838.png

1564502625399.png
I'd love more info on this, I've been tempted to do something similar. Specifically, how did you cook it?

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1564502790838.png

1564502625399.png
Do you ever use the grill slide while having the foil in place? I have the same smoker and wanted to add foil to the grease ramp but was worried about blocking all the louvers in it. Just curious how your experience has been with it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you ever use the grill slide while having the foil in place? I have the same smoker and wanted to add foil to the grease ramp but was worried about blocking all the louvers in it. Just curious how your experience has been with it.

Not really because it is for direct grilling with it out. Keeping the foil over it would be like having it closed. I pull the slider out when cooking burgers, steaks to sear or broil. I also us it crisp something up like chicken. It really is not bad for direct grilling either.

I can see why you would want to for the mess but i think it would defeat the purpose.

I also have a large gas grill with a searer on I use for allot of direct grilling stuff.

Sometimes I put a pan under there. I just bought one of those mats that are made to cook on or line the bottom of the stove. They are supposed to be easier to clean.

The Camp Chef grills certainly are nice...

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love more info on this, I've been tempted to do something similar. Specifically, how did you cook it?

It is super simple.

It is eye of the round beef which I season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
I smoke it at 250 to 275 till the internal temp is just before I would eat it normally. For me it was about 145 degrees.
While it is on the smoker I put some onions in a pan and let them sweat on the grill for 20 to 25 minutes and then add the Au jus to the onions in the pan and let them go till the roast is done. You could put the onions directly in the broth if you want.

After the roast get to temp I take it off and slice it thin. I then throw it back in the Ah Jus and put it on the grill for a bit till it done the way I like it. I put some oil on some french rolls and toast them on the grill.

I add some horseradish sauce to the sandwich and dip...

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1564502790838.png

1564502625399.png

What kind a grill is that?

Back