BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently scooped up a weber kettle (premium) grill over the weekend. I've never really done a ton of grilling on a charcoal grill. What I'm looking to cook up (besides burger and hod dogs) are: pork butt/shoulder, ribs, and maybe some brisket.

Now, I'm sure the weber grill is probably not the most ideal tool for the job but from what I've been told it can be done with some accessories. One thing that was mentioned specifically is a "slow n sear" as well as adding a weather seal.

Does anyone have any experience with a weber grill and this slow n sear? Any other tips, tricks, useful accessories you guys would recommend?

I also picked up a thermopro 2 probe thermometer.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently scooped up a weber kettle (premium) grill over the weekend. I've never really done a ton of grilling on a charcoal grill. What I'm looking to cook up (besides burger and hod dogs) are: pork butt/shoulder, ribs, and maybe some brisket.

Now, I'm sure the weber grill is probably not the most ideal tool for the job but from what I've been told it can be done with some accessories. One thing that was mentioned specifically is a "slow n sear" as well as adding a weather seal.

Does anyone have any experience with a weber grill and this slow n sear? Any other tips, tricks, useful accessories you guys would recommend?

I also picked up a thermopro 2 probe thermometer.
I used to smoke on my 22" Weber kettle regularly. No weather seal, no slow n sear. I had something similar to a slow n sear but I only used it for chicken wings.

I found the best way to smoke with the Weber was using the "snake" method. You make a ring of charcoal on the outside edge of the grill and poke wood chips in it. Light a small group of coals in a chimney starter and add them to one end of your snake when they are ready. Put on the grill grate, add a temp probe and your meat, and put on the cover. Depending on how long the "snake" is, you can smoke for many hours this way.

The issue? Capacity. You don't want your meat too close to the edge or it will get direct heat. I found it worked great for smaller pork shoulders and chicken. Ribs were too long so had to be cut in half and put on a rack. I could only do 2 slabs at a time this way. The BBQ can turn out great, but you can't make much of it unfortunately.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to smoke on my 22" Weber kettle regularly. No weather seal, no slow n sear. I had something similar to a slow n sear but I only used it for chicken wings.

I found the best way to smoke with the Weber was using the "snake" method. You make a ring of charcoal on the outside edge of the grill and poke wood chips in it. Light a small group of coals in a chimney starter and add them to one end of your snake when they are ready. Put on the grill grate, add a temp probe and your meat, and put on the cover. Depending on how long the "snake" is, you can smoke for many hours this way.

The issue? Capacity. You don't want your meat too close to the edge or it will get direct heat. I found it worked great for smaller pork shoulders and chicken. Ribs were too long so had to be cut in half and put on a rack. I could only do 2 slabs at a time this way. The BBQ can turn out great, but you can't make much of it unfortunately.

Sounds good, I'll give it a go. I ended up finding a ton of info on YouTube. Now just to sort through the BS videos and find the good 'uns.

Can't wait for fire it up.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using a pellet grill I’ll never go back to propane or charcoal.
You can never have too many grills. I have a very nice pellet grill which is my go-to for smoking. I have a propane Weber which is for quick dinners after work. I'm going to pick up either a Kamado or Weber Kettle for grilling on weekends. Haven't decided which yet.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys in the US use the grills/smokers all year round ?

In the UK the BBQ’s tend to just come out in the summer months, but from the pictures I’m guessing in the US you do it all the time, even if it’s freezing outside?!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys in the US use the grills/smokers all year round ?

In the UK the BBQ’s tend to just come out in the summer months, but from the pictures I’m guessing in the US you do it all the time, even if it’s freezing outside?!

I don’t stop

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too many grills. I have a very nice pellet grill which is my go-to for smoking. I have a propane Weber which is for quick dinners after work. I'm going to pick up either a Kamado or Weber Kettle for grilling on weekends. Haven't decided which yet.

Got a picture of your set up?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys like the pellet smokers?

I've been using a big green egg, or my insulated electric(winter months, yes I grill/smoke year round), but a friend of mine has a pellet. He says it's pretty much set and forget?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been using a big green egg, or my insulated electric(winter months, yes I grill/smoke year round), but a friend of mine has a pellet. He says it's pretty much set and forget?

It’s set it and forget and it has a very wide range of use from smoking to baking. On mine I can even grill over an open flame. I can also sear meat as well. I will never buy any other type of grill again.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On the egg do you burn wood or what?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with Pit Boss because the price was a bit lower and it had more features but both are good grills. The pit boss I got felt more solid as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back