BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those looking for a new smoker / grill - try the masterbuilt gravity series 560. my only complaint is that i wish the grill didnt need to get plugged in while using it (however a simple external battery would solve this). the hopper is huge!

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread I just discovered here. I've had my Traeger Timberline for over a year now and plan to get my first brisket on there next weekend.

I also see some pizzas on here. I recently discovered a phenomenal book called Pizza Camp from a great Pizza maker in Philadelphia named Joe Beddia. Interesting fact I read is one of his big influences was a shop in Chicago that I also loved. Great thing about his book is you can use your home oven and don't need a super high temp oven. Keys we have found to home made dough over the years, and which he also mentions in the book, is consistent weights for the recipe using a scale and letting the dough ferment for 48 hours. We also have a pizza stone which we use when using our indoor oven. This is the book here... 20200404_130250.jpg

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread I just discovered here. I've had my Traeger Timberline for over a year now and plan to get my first brisket on there next weekend.

I also see some pizzas on here. I recently discovered a phenomenal book called Pizza Camp from a great Pizza maker in Philadelphia named Joe Beddia. Interesting fact I read is one of his big influences was a shop in Chicago that I also loved. Great thing about his book is you can use your home oven and don't need a super high temp oven. Keys we have found to home made dough over the years, and which he also mentions in the book, is consistent weights for the recipe using a scale and letting the dough ferment for 48 hours. We also have a pizza stone which we use when using our indoor oven. This is the book here... 20200404_130250.jpg

More of a NY style fan myself. I like pesto as well. Debating picking up this wood firer pizza oven.

1A153FB5-02D4-48E0-90FC-2A45F92B9DF3.png

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of a NY style fan myself. I like pesto as well. Debating picking up this wood firer pizza oven.

1A153FB5-02D4-48E0-90FC-2A45F92B9DF3.png
By no means was I criticizing your pizza. I was just putting out there what I have been up to. That being said I think this guy is more NY style than anything else. I am a huge NY style fan which is why I like his stuff. He has a recipe from the reportedly amazing place Di Fara in Brooklyn in the book also.

I picked up a wood fired pizza oven last year. It was the uuni pro. I got a little frustrated with ash making its way onto the stone once I got beyond making 4 pizza's. Long story short is if you are planning to have parties or make numerous pies then check out how big the area is where the ash will be sequestered if you have to add more logs. Nothing tastes worse than wood ash on the bottom of a slice.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By no means was I criticizing your pizza. I was just putting out there what I have been up to. That being said I think this guy is more NY style than anything else. I am a huge NY style fan which is why I like his stuff. He has a recipe from the reportedly amazing place Di Fara in Brooklyn in the book also.

I picked up a wood fired pizza oven last year. It was the uuni pro. I got a little frustrated with ash making its way onto the stone once I got beyond making 4 pizza's. Long story short is if you are planning to have parties or make numerous pies then check out how big the area is where the ash will be sequestered if you have to add more logs. Nothing tastes worse than wood ash on the bottom of a slice.

I didn’t think you were criticizing me. Sounded like you were more of a Chicago style fan. Once in a while i’ll eat that style but I’m not a big fan of thick sauce ect. I could see what you about the ash.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then all you bbq masters, my new Weber gas bbq has arrived and I’ve got 2 medium sized spatchcock chickens marinating.

Im going to smoke them and I was just wondering as a rough guide how long would you cook them for and at what temperature?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoker or gas grill?

You said new gas grill, but then want to smoke them? While you can certainly smoke on a gas grill, it's not quite the same as using an actual smoker.

I've always been a fan of low and slow on a smoker. 45 minutes a pound @ 250

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to try out this bacon. First time trying to make it, and were done with the curing salts(5 days to cure). So today it goes on the smoker for 3 hours @ 175.

Cured with a lot of brown sugar, and I got maple to smoke it with. So were calling maple brown sugar bacon. :D

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoker or gas grill?

You said new gas grill, but then want to smoke them? While you can certainly smoke on a gas grill, it's not quite the same as using an actual smoker.

I've always been a fan of low and slow on a smoker. 45 minutes a pound @ 250
Yes it’s a gas bbq but I have the Weber smoking box as well and thanks for the tip

Back