BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some burnt ends made with pork belly. Recipe I found on the web, they were absolutely amazing!
They were like little pieces of fat from heaven.

When they first went on the smoker. First smoke on the new pit boss.
20200419_130222.jpg

And the little fat chunks from heaven.
20200419_172532.jpg

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched the video's too. Doesn't look to tough to change out.

Look up stoveparts4less.com, they have a ton of parts and usually very decent on the price. looks to be around 60$ to 80$ depending on model.
That's where I ordered the replacement from, good price $69.00 + SH that's about $20 better than Camp Chef itself, thanks.

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellet smokers. What pellet brands do y’all use and what type of wood? Thanks !
I use "Q" Pellets they are 100% natural and burn real well with a lot of smoke, I use cherry, mesquite, and maple but they have about 10 or so woods they use, you can find them on Amazon.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as I'm new to the pellet grills, I bought what Lowes had which were Pit Boss competition blend.

At local Ace they had treager pellets in specific woods. I'm used to using specific woods in my electric smoker, so I plan on using that once the competition blend is used up.

I like to smoke pork with apple, cherry or pecan, beef with hickory, or mesquite. I like the subtle sweet smoke of fruit woods with pork, and a heavy woody smoke with beef.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as I'm new to the pellet grills, I bought what Lowes had which were Pit Boss competition blend.

At local Ace they had treager pellets in specific woods. I'm used to using specific woods in my electric smoker, so I plan on using that once the competition blend is used up.

I like to smoke pork with apple, cherry or pecan, beef with hickory, or mesquite. I like the subtle sweet smoke of fruit woods with pork, and a heavy woody smoke with beef.

To be honest you don’t really pick up the smoke flavor from a pellet grill so I would just get what ever is on sale. You can use a tube like a smoke box which is supposed to add more smoke flavor. Trying the all wood pellets so I can’t say anything about them yet.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I be honest you don’t really pick up the smoke flavor from a pellet grill so I would just get what ever is on sale. You use a tube like a smoke box which is supposed to add more smoke flavor.

Not true with the Pit Boss. It has a smoke setting that just smolders the pellets for that nice rich smoke flavor. 7 temp "smoke" settings depending on the temp you want to smoking at. Also a nice "prime" button for the pellet auger to force a few more pellets in before you open the barrel so temps don't drop to much.

The burnt ends I made the other day had a wonderful smoky flavor. No different then my old offset stick burner, or my electric stacker.

I have only cooked 3 times on it so far, but all 3 have a nice smoky flavor, and a nice thick smoke ring. The burgers I did the other night were also fantastic! Not to smoky, but not that nasty propane taste either. More like cooking on charcoal, or over a camp fire.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true with the Pit Boss. It has a smoke setting that just smolders the pellets for that nice rich smoke flavor. 7 temp "smoke" settings depending on the temp you want to smoking at. Also a nice "prime" button for the pellet auger to force a few more pellets in before you open the barrel so temps don't drop to much.

The burnt ends I made the other day had a wonderful smoky flavor. No different then my old offset stick burner, or my electric stacker.

I have a pit boss

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have those setting on your controller?

Yep

I can get it to make a lot of smoke but as of yet I am not impressed with being able to pick up anything flavor wise. I have tried a few different pellets and can’t tell the difference. I do all my burgers and steaks low and slow. I’m not the only one because I’ve seen comments about the lack of smoke flavor before.

Last edited:

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.

Are you using specific woods, or just the blends? I'm not too super familiar with the pellet grill yet, but the one actual "smoke" cook I did had a wonderful smoky flavor. No different then my electric smoker, or the offset stick burner I used to have. Taste wise anyways.

I did notice my meat didn't have that typical blackish "crust" with a typical smoker, but had plenty of smoke flavor.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some ribs sitting in the fridge for tomorrow night, I'll be curious to see how the smoke flavor is on those.

I certainly still have plenty of wood chips to add to the pellet if I need them.

I did read numerous comments when I was researching pellet grills about the lack of smoke flavor too. But with the limited cooking experience on the grill, it has not been my findings yet.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this grill for two or three years now. I’ve bought pitboss, traeger, whiskey barrel, what ever brand fleet fram has ect. Tried a bunch of different flavors as well it has all been the same to me so far not much smoke flavor.

78E09129-7A9F-4618-A1C5-DF6C3275B8E1.jpeg C0F8989E-684B-45F9-9FF5-C9E8CAD7038E.jpeg C995B978-87AE-4605-9EC8-838A539EFFFE.jpeg

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve read some interesting info on the web about how Traeger pellets use flavored oil and a base wood in their pellets. Also read a lot of good things about a brand called lumber jack. They have 100% species specific pellets. Ordered some so we shall see what happens. Tried Traeger mesquite and could not taste any wood what so ever . Thanks for the responses by the way

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read some interesting info on the web about how Traeger pellets use flavored oil and a base wood in their pellets. Also read a lot of good things about a brand called lumber jack. They have 100% species specific pellets. Ordered some so we shall see what happens. Tried Traeger mesquite and could not taste any wood what so ever . Thanks for the responses by the way

That is what I read as well and am trying this now

3CC62A89-059E-4B90-A505-2B3BFB0CE4C6.jpeg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah basically the same grill I have, except my barrel is larger(1100 pro), and digital controller with 2 probe inserts.

Now I'm curious, but have not done a real "smoking" cook yet either.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah basically the same grill I have, except my barrel is larger(1100 pro), and digital controller with 2 probe inserts.

Now I'm curious, but have not done a real "smoking" cook yet either.

They added a lot of nice features to the new grills.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back