BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read some interesting info on the web about how Traeger pellets use flavored oil and a base wood in their pellets. Also read a lot of good things about a brand called lumber jack. They have 100% species specific pellets. Ordered some so we shall see what happens. Tried Traeger mesquite and could not taste any wood what so ever . Thanks for the responses by the way
I did not know that traeger did this but yes there are some that use oils for the smoke flavor, stay away from these as they have little smoke and burn too quick.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read that about the traeger pellets.

I do have a friend that has a GMG pellet smoker and have had his brisket. Plenty of smoke flavor and nice thick smoke ring.

I have noticed with my limited cooking on it, most of the smoke escapes out the barrel door. Wondering if the insulated blanket might help with that? I have one on order anyways, as I like to smoke year round and it gets super cold here in the winter(-10 to -30 on some days).

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look up lumber jack. They keep bark on when milling their pellets. That’s where the smoke comes from. They buy whole trees and not just leftovers from other milling procedures . Again it’s just what I’ve read in the little time I’ve been researching

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up lumber jack. They keep bark on when milling their pellets. That’s where the smoke comes from. They buy whole trees and not just leftovers from other milling procedures . Again it’s just what I’ve read in the little time I’ve been researching
I'll check them out.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Me as well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep

I can get it to make a lot of smoke but as of yet I am not impressed with being able to pick up anything flavor wise. I have tried a few different pellets and can’t tell the difference. I do all my burgers and steaks low and slow. I’m not the only one because I’ve seen comments about the lack of smoke flavor before.
Forced air pellet burners are never oxygen starved so they will burn very clean. They will add a smoke flavor that matches the wood.
Some people have come to enjoy a more acrid smoke flavor that comes from running a slightly oxygen starved fire. This is that campfire smell when a fire is just lit or after it was put out. This used to be considered a sign of a pit master who couldn't manage his fire properly but now some people associate it with good BBQ.
For people who like this style of BBQ, a pellet grill is generally a bad choice. You can get a bit of the flavor with a pellet packed smoke tube placed right on the edge of the grill above the infeed since that is a low airflow area.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading up on pellets(smokingmeatforum.com), it seems most use a base wood, with 20 to 30% of whatever wood your suppose to be getting(apple, cherry, pecan, etc).

Lumberjack brand seems to be what everyone on that forum recommends as they only use whats listed on the back. IE if you buy apple, its 100% apple.

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 4 20# bags...apple, maple, cherry and a blend we'll see how they are.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forced air pellet burners are never oxygen starved so they will burn very clean. They will add a smoke flavor that matches the wood.
Some people have come to enjoy a more acrid smoke flavor that comes from running a slightly oxygen starved fire. This is that campfire smell when a fire is just lit or after it was put out. This used to be considered a sign of a pit master who couldn't manage his fire properly but now some people associate it with good BBQ.
For people who like this style of BBQ, a pellet grill is generally a bad choice. You can get a bit of the flavor with a pellet packed smoke tube placed right on the edge of the grill above the infeed since that is a low airflow area.

Different people have different tastes for sure but like I said I’m not the only one that has made this comment.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the camp where I don't like that thick heavy smoke flavor. My stick burner I used to run hot to avoid that, and I only added woof to the electric at the beginning.

Could be why I like the pellet a lot more as you don't get that thick acrid smoke.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the camp where I don't like that thick heavy smoke flavor. My stick burner I used to run hot to avoid that, and I only added woof to the electric at the beginning.

Could be why I like the pellet a lot more as you don't get that thick acrid smoke.

I don’t like it all time but would like to be able to add in more when I want. Thinking about adding one of these to the grill.

E55AD2DC-A1F6-4930-90C8-05FFBA8E6E8D.png 8510ABFF-5E54-46E4-9E5C-0E3299EA88ED.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different people have different tastes for sure but like I said I’m not the only one that has made this comment.
It's a very common complaint. 20 years ago almost no one was smoking meat at home. There were a fraction of the number of BBQ places open. Back then, that slight campfire flavor was considered a bad thing. Then, as more and more less skilled people started smoking meat, people came to enjoy that slight campfire flavor. Now many associate it as good BBQ. Even competition judges don't take off for it anymore, it has gone main stream.
I'm not saying it is good, bad, or otherwise. Only that it is part of the evolution of BBQ in America. There is a really good test to see what camp of BBQ you fall into liking. If you can tell the difference in taste of something smoked on Apple wood or Cherry wood you will probably like a pellet smoker. If you can't tell the difference in flavor between those two woods, you probably don't want a pellet smoker.

Back