BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get it right..... none...... It really depends on what I am cooking. A lot of the time, I make my own. I have found very few that could fit the bill for multiple dishes.
Your not wrong there, a good smoked meat usually doesnt need a sauce. I was just curious cause me and my gf are starting a company with a sauce we make so I like getting input from consumers in different categories of people who grill regularly.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the Pit Boss is the best value out there right now.

Yes, but I find the metal to be kind of thin and I get big temperature swings. There new model that came out this year looked really nice and was wifi but they must have gotten a ton of returns. As far as I can tell they have pulled the model. It was a Walmart exclusive and Walmart even pulled it from their site.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
We dont have one close, I was asking just getting input from people cause me and my gf are starting a company.

Are you going to be online only? The local bbq stores are basically the only way to get local sauces around here.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to be online only? The local bbq stores are basically the only way to get local sauces around here.
When it first gets up and running yes. We are in the process of getting the licensing and llc taken care of now. Hopefully by this time next year we can fully launch it to where we will then be able to get contracts/orders with bigger retail stores such as walmart and others.

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I find the metal to be kind of thin and I get big temperature swings. There new model that came out this year looked really nice and was wifi but they must have gotten a ton of returns. As far as I can tell they have pulled the model. It was a Walmart exclusive and Walmart even pulled it from their site.
I picked mine up from Lowe's... I have been really happy with it.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You went with the best. Way out of my price range. I heard Treagers aren't as good as they used to be. I bought a cheap Pit Boss just to see if I would like a pellet grill. I do like it so now would like to upgrade. Just too many medical bills coming up so no upgrades this year unless some great deal falls in my lap. I've been looking at the grilla pellet smokers and they seem to get could reviews. They also have a local showroom which is nice if there are issues. The Camp Chef is intriguing because of the add-ons but not sure I would ever use them. It will probably come down to the grilla or Rec Tec when I do upgrade. I will still do my briskets and pork butts on the off set smoker. I wasn't impressed with what I tried on the pellet smoker. Just not enough smoke flavor for my taste.

The Traeger I replaced was purchased when they were still made in Oregon. I do think the qualitity has gone down on the base models since then but the features have gone up. I debated on this purchase for a couple years before I made the purchase.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a pit boss myself this year from lowes, wanted to try a pellet grill. Couldn't be happier with the smoke, or ""grill" aspect of it. Get the insulated blanket, temps hold steady, and you don't loose all the smoke through the door.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a pit boss myself this year from lowes, wanted to try a pellet grill. Couldn't be happier with the smoke, or ""grill" aspect of it. Get the insulated blanket, temps hold steady, and you don't loose all the smoke through the door.

I don't think smoke/heat loss is my problem. I hooked up a thermometer at grate level to check temps. I can set the grill to 300 and it will range from 300 to 400 on the controller and my thermometer. It doesn't go below 300 unless I open the door.

I had high hopes when I found out Weber was coming out with a pellet grill, but I see a ton of negative reviews online. I also hate how they delete the negative reviews on their posts.

Here is the new Pit Boss grill -

1593628606777.png

Last edited:

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From left to right.........Fire pit, Big Green Egg, Bull gas grille, Evo flat top.
aVqVOPh.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey I've just recently got into grilling and right now it's mostly steaks. I really want to get into cooking more meats like BBQ and Ribs etc. I have a basic gas grill now but would like some suggestions on something that would give me lots of options. Looking to invest in something better than a basic grill.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I've just recently got into grilling and right now it's mostly steaks. I really want to get into cooking more meats like BBQ and Ribs etc. I have a basic gas grill now but would like some suggestions on something that would give me lots of options. Looking to invest in something better than a basic grill.

Look at the Yoder. They have an adjustable damper to switch from grilling to smoking. I have only used mine for smoking so far.

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend a weber smokey mountain, just a great bit of kit

AbdominalSnowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Yoder. They have an adjustable damper to switch from grilling to smoking. I have only used mine for smoking so far.
I'm pretty sure the Yoder YS640 Competition will be my next smoker/grill. I currently have a Kamado Joe Classic, but I'm looking to add a new grill to the mix. Much like reefing, I'm a firm believer in buying quality once.

How do you like your Yoder? Any complaints so far?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the Yoder YS640 Competition will be my next smoker/grill. I currently have a Kamado Joe Classic, but I'm looking to add a new grill to the mix. Much like reefing, I'm a firm believer in buying quality once.

How do you like your Yoder? Any complaints so far?

I have not used it enough yet to really know it. The only complaint so far is that I could no install all of the winter blaket with the optional grease shield installed. I do not care for having to rotate the stack down to put the cover on but that probally makes the cover last longer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think smoke/heat loss is my problem. I hooked up a thermometer at grate level to check temps. I can set the grill to 300 and it will range from 300 to 400 on the controller and my thermometer. It doesn't go below 300 unless I open the door.

I had high hopes when I found out Weber was coming out with a pellet grill, but I see a ton of negative reviews online. I also hate how they delete the negative reviews on their posts.

Here is the new Pit Boss grill -

1593628606777.png
Is that one you have? Have not seen one like that before. Grill and stackable smoker in one unit. Interesting.

I bought the one at lowes that is very similar to the Austin XL, the 1100 pro series. I also had very uneven temps across the grill, did some digging online and it seems like everyone(even pit boss themselves) say to remove the diffuser plate that covers the burn pot for more even temps. I can attest to removing that keeps more even heat across the grill. Of course this is all void if the above is the grill you bought.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot a pic on the smoker, pulled pork and cheese stuffed meatballs wrapped in smoked bacon. I have been grunting Like Tim the Tool Man Taylor for the last few hours

C3D78EB8-6B31-47BC-A892-74C83CA50ABE.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back