BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that one you have? Have not seen one like that before. Grill and stackable smoker in one unit. Interesting.

I bought the one at lowes that is very similar to the Austin XL, the 1100 pro series. I also had very uneven temps across the grill, did some digging online and it seems like everyone(even pit boss themselves) say to remove the diffuser plate that covers the burn pot for more even temps. I can attest to removing that keeps more even heat across the grill. Of course this is all void if the above is the grill you bought.

No, that is the new one they came out this year. Jeff from smoking meet.com had a review on youtube and liked it. I started seeing a bunch of reviews saying parts were not lining up when put together so you got a lot of heat loss. Saw several that stated the doors on the stackable part wouldn't even close all the way. After started seeing all the bad reviews I noticed the grill was removed from walmarts site. I see it is back now though only available in store. I'm wondering if they had quality issues and they pulled them to get that fixed before selling again.

I have the 820 model. Got it from Lowes also on clearance. The diffuser plate is something they added to your model. Mine and the Austin XL do not have a diffuser. I just have the drain plate.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading up on it also, as I was intrigued. I've read what you posted, quite a few QC issues, even on pit boss's web site. Don't think I'll be buying one.

I did end up down a rabbit hole and found smoke daddy's web site. They have an upgraded control board that uses PID control, and is supposed to help those pellet grills that don't have PID control like the pit boss. Not sure it would help much in your case though. I'm completely happy with my pit boss so I don't htink I'll be buying the upgraded board unless it can even out the heat from the heat up/ cool down cycles(temps set at 350 can swing from 335 to 375)?

Anyone have any thoughts on that one? I'm very new to using a pellet grill and would prefer more stable temps.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading up on it also, as I was intrigued. I've read what you posted, quite a few QC issues, even on pit boss's web site. Don't think I'll be buying one.

I did end up down a rabbit hole and found smoke daddy's web site. They have an upgraded control board that uses PID control, and is supposed to help those pellet grills that don't have PID control like the pit boss. Not sure it would help much in your case though. I'm completely happy with my pit boss so I don't htink I'll be buying the upgraded board unless it can even out the heat from the heat up/ cool down cycles(temps set at 350 can swing from 335 to 375)?

Anyone have any thoughts on that one? I'm very new to using a pellet grill and would prefer more stable temps.

That doesn't sound too bad to me. I get bigger swings on my wood smoker. Have you played with the "P" setting to see if that helps?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not know about the smoke daddy PID but I had a couple versions of the Savannah Stoker on my Traeger made it run much more stable.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brisket on. Used meatchurch rub and separated the point from the flat almost all the way

E047EB4E-E4DF-4F5E-A395-7E1F3655A525.jpeg

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the Yoder YS640 Competition will be my next smoker/grill. I currently have a Kamado Joe Classic, but I'm looking to add a new grill to the mix. Much like reefing, I'm a firm believer in buying quality once.

How do you like your Yoder? Any complaints so far?
How do you like the kamado joe? I’ve always been intrigued by kamados, and this summer I’ve been wanting one like crazy! I always thought the big green egg was the best-but seems like kamado joe has them beat.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I've just recently got into grilling and right now it's mostly steaks. I really want to get into cooking more meats like BBQ and Ribs etc. I have a basic gas grill now but would like some suggestions on something that would give me lots of options. Looking to invest in something better than a basic grill.
There are so many options! Before you can find a grill that will be right for you, you need to ask yourself a few questions. How many people do you plan on cooking for? Do you want something that pretty much runs itself or do you want it to be a more hands on experience. Do you like a heavier smoke flavor or just a kiss of smoke. Do you want to be able to grill and smoke on it, or just smoke?
I'm a couple hours away, but if you ever want to head this way, you are more than welcome. I have a Yoder YS640 and a Kamado Joe Classic 2. I use them both since they excel at different styles of cooking with only a little overlap.

I'm pretty sure the Yoder YS640 Competition will be my next smoker/grill. I currently have a Kamado Joe Classic, but I'm looking to add a new grill to the mix. Much like reefing, I'm a firm believer in buying quality once.

How do you like your Yoder? Any complaints so far?
I absolutely love my Yoder. It's build like a tank and holds temperature very stable. You could set a 50 pound load on the side shelves with no worries at all, it's built that well.
I do have 1 complaint.... rust. For a $1500 grill you wouldn't expect a rust issue but it is a known problem. They even send a small can of spray paint so you can sand the rust off and repaint it. The positive of this is that, unlike a powder coated grill, it can be continuously maintained. But.. it does take maintenance. If you are going to be upset that 6 months after you buy it, you have rust, it isn't for you.
All pellet grills have one common characteristic. The burn so clean they only leave a very light smoke flavor. I think it is perfect for chicken, a little light for pork, and almost missing on beef. I picked up a smoke tube to start playing with it.

How do you like the kamado joe? I’ve always been intrigued by kamados, and this summer I’ve been wanting one like crazy! I always thought the big green egg was the best-but seems like kamado joe has them beat.
I absolutely love my kamado joe. If I could only have one grill, that would be it (well, I'd want the bigger model). The BGE is very nice, but the Joe has some design features that put it over the top imo.
It makes the absolute best pizza by just adding a $50 pizza stone. 650F for 6 minutes and a pizza is about perfect. I cooked 7 pizza's for friends and family last weekend and it was a blast. My friend with a BGE says he has to clean it very well to hit 700F but the Joe can do it cook after cook with only emptying the ash tray and reloading charcoal.

AbdominalSnowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it. I was a little nervous switching from gas, but after two years I probably won't ever go back.

Jarvisffc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time doing a brisket, turned out good but I would like to get a crispy bark. I wrapped it in foil, would butcher paper help with the bark?

FCFAD47F-5FA8-4EA2-B7CB-B4AEC42550C4.jpeg
39AC727A-ED6E-4926-947D-0AD86B80E006.jpeg
3B9BB06D-1860-43FA-AAE0-73BF129C0B9B.jpeg
2CE1DD52-26F3-4AE3-940E-A62FFBCC4E18.jpeg
I always put on from the fridge, keeps the meat at the zone for smoke intake longer is my belief, I’ve always had a decent smoke ring on my WSM that way.

Back