BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First attempt at a brisket. Picked up a small 7lb flat from Costco and decided to finally brave a crack at a brisket on my weber kettle using a SnS.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result, very juicy and tender. Cook took about 8 hours: 6h @250-270 then wrapped in foil and beef broth for about 2 hours, then wrap in towels for 2 mor hours. Couldn't get my hands on pecan or oak chunks so ended up using hickory.

Some things to improve and I'm not really sure how to go about it: better bark, it looked OK but it seems that it's just the rub getting burnt (coarse pepper (too coarse actually), salt, garlic powder, celery seed in about 3:2:1:1 ratio) ; smoke and smoke ring... I think this may be two-fold, part the coarseness of the rub taking up the smoke and the temperature (I threw the brisket on when grill was reading 225. Thinking I should have gone 225 the entire time and not bump it up to 250-270F like I did to let it take up more of the smoke.

Just gonna have to do it again! Think I'll add some sugar to the rub next time and maybe do a spritz to get a better bark.

20200803_054555.jpg
Excellent looking heifer right there. The restaurant I worked at we would rub with guldens then put the rub on. The rub we used didn't have sugar in it but when I make mine I use a little brown sugar. Here's a rub that I use.
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent looking heifer right there. The restaurant I worked at we would rub with guldens then put the rub on. The rub we used didn't have sugar in it but when I make mine I use a little brown sugar. Here's a rub that I use.
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
God how did I forget pepper when I was typing out my recipe! I'm blaming it on lack of coffee first thing in the morning.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good all around rub thats pretty basic:

1C dark brown sugar
1/2C white sugar
1/2C paprika
1tbsp garlic powder
1tbsp onion powder
1tbsp kosher salt(kosher is better for smoking because of the course grind)
1tsp cumin
1tsp celery salt
1tsp cayenne pepper(adjust to taste and spiciness)

What type of smoker are you using? Pellet grill, vertical smoker, stick burner?
Thanks for this! Looks very similar to what I use except I add twice the kosher salt and don't use celery salt. I'll have to give this a try.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
This looks really good! I am going to give it a try. Which kind of guldens and what all have you used it on? It sounds good even without guldens.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The celery seemed like a odd choice in. BBQ rub, but man when it came off the grill, the wife yelled from a room over from the kitchen "dang that smells good!"

So I'm sold on celery seed, at least on the brisket.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks really good! I am going to give it a try. Which kind of guldens and what all have you used it on? It sounds good even without guldens.
I would adjust the salt up or down depending on what your cooking. Poultry for instance would require more salt as you want to retain moisture(often times why you would see people suggesting brinning poultry before smoking).

The actual process of smoking, dries meat out.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guldens Spicy is what I use. I put it on everything but chicken. learned and gained a lot of weight working at a bbq joint haha

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked a whole chicken after a 20 hour brine then rubbed (new brine/rub attempt).
Used the beer can method, mostly to take the liquid from the can when finished to add butter and melt, then poured over chicken
It looks ugly but man it might be the best tasting poultry I’ve ever had.

C11860EC-D856-4550-8A4C-BE4CE0F4538D.jpeg 4731759C-BE4A-47EB-9348-28A7CDDC5EA7.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those look amazing!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got my bull set up today and going to smoke my first ever meat tomorrow! I’m going with something easy, a pork tenderloin. I’m scared! Any tips or advice?

F9F288F4-E34F-43DD-8C26-9B88DAF81107.jpeg

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my bull set up today and going to smoke my first ever meat tomorrow! I’m going with something easy, a pork tenderloin. I’m scared! Any tips or advice?

F9F288F4-E34F-43DD-8C26-9B88DAF81107.jpeg

Looks awesome!

I haven’t tried a tenderloin but wouldn’t think it would take long to smoke. Keep on eye on the meat temperature to prevent overcooking.

I’m sure there are many others on here that can suggest much more, but I found this web site for good info:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Smoker looks awesome!

I haven’t tried a tenderloin but wouldn’t think it would take long to smoke. Keep on eye on the meat temperature to prevent overcooking.

I’m sure there are many others on here that can suggest much more, but I found this web site for good info:

They came out amazing! Pardon the tinfoil cutting sound yikes! I was just excited! Ha!

View attachment IMG_4224.MOV

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They came out amazing! Pardon the tinfoil cutting sound yikes! I was just excited! Ha!

View attachment IMG_4224.MOV
Congrats!

I highly recommend doing a spatchcock chicken. Do a basic rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders. Shove a few pieces of butter coated with the rub under the skin above the breast. Put the rub on both sides of the chicken. Then, smoke it at 350F until the breast hits 160F. Take it off and let it rest for around 15 to 20 minutes.
It's relatively quick, easy, forgiving, doesn't involve an expensive cut of meat, and makes an amazing meal. Try it!

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!

I highly recommend doing a spatchcock chicken. Do a basic rub with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders. Shove a few pieces of butter coated with the rub under the skin above the breast. Put the rub on both sides of the chicken. Then, smoke it at 350F until the breast hits 160F. Take it off and let it rest for around 15 to 20 minutes.
It's relatively quick, easy, forgiving, doesn't involve an expensive cut of meat, and makes an amazing meal. Try it!

When I did the beer can method I kept debating spatchcock, will try that next. I wanted the beer can juices to add butter to pour over chicken....was pretty good

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats!

Oooh sounds good! Any photos?

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18.5" weber smokey mountain is my smoker. I love smoking bbq. Hmmn
giphy.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back