BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of y'all using a Yoder Smoker?? I'm currently in the market for a grill for our new house and The YS480 is the current leading option. I'm currently leaning towards the pellet grills as they're a little more compact than offset charcoal grills but would love to hear from anyone using any of the Yoder grills! :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of y'all using a Yoder Smoker?? I'm currently in the market for a grill for our new house and The YS480 is the current leading option. I'm currently leaning towards the pellet grills as they're a little more compact than offset charcoal grills but would love to hear from anyone using any of the Yoder grills! :)
I have the Yoder YS640 and I absolutely love it. Very heavy steel used to build it which is likely the reason it holds temperature so well.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Yoder YS640 and I absolutely love it. Very heavy steel used to build it which is likely the reason it holds temperature so well.

I'll probably look into one of those when it's time to replace the Camp Chef I currently have. It's 2 or 3 years old and starting to show it's age, finish bubbling off, a little rusty - it's under a covered porch but the humidity in SC isn't doing it any favors.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking at a Kamado Joe as well as they're more insulated and we've only got a small balcony! It's a hard choice!

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking at a Kamado Joe as well as they're more insulated and we've only got a small balcony! It's a hard choice!
The Yoder's are very heavy. The YS640 weights well over 300 pounds. I can't imagine trying to get it up a flight of stairs. I'm sure the YS480 is at least 200 pounds.

Of course, the Kamado Joe's weigh a small ton also.....

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any smoker is going to be heavy. You might want to look into a portable smoker.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any smoker is going to be heavy. You might want to look into a portable smoker.
Not true. I loved my Weber Smokey Mountain and it was very light and held up for years. It's only downside was that it wasn't well insulated so it required a lot more tending if the temperature outside was below 50F. It made up for the lack of steel mass with a nice sized water bath to help stabilize temperature.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yoder's are very heavy. The YS640 weights well over 300 pounds. I can't imagine trying to get it up a flight of stairs. I'm sure the YS480 is at least 200 pounds.

Of course, the Kamado Joe's weigh a small ton also.....
Thankfully there's only four small steps to get to the balcony from the front door! The Kamado Joe weighs about 185 pounds so the weight isn't too much of an issue at this stage haha

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I loved my Weber Smokey Mountain and it was very light and held up for years. It's only downside was that it wasn't well insulated so it required a lot more tending if the temperature outside was below 50F. It made up for the lack of steel mass with a nice sized water bath to help stabilize temperature.

Didn’t think they made a smoker with that thin a metal on it.

Back