BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys like the pellet smokers?

I've been using a big green egg, or my insulated electric(winter months, yes I grill/smoke year round), but a friend of mine has a pellet. He says it's pretty much set and forget?
Mine is set and forget. I have a Yoder YS640 and it is fantastic. I have the sear kit for it, but it is a pain to use. On a cold day it will maintain temperature without my being home for at least 5 or 6 hours. Even then, all I have to do is even out the pellets in the hopper.
On a day where it is over 70F I don't have to do anything for 8 hours or more. Couldn't be easier. I love that I can put a shoulder on at 10pm and have it ready for lunch when friends come over to hang out by the pool. No more lack of sleep at those parties!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is set and forget. I have a Yoder YS640 and it is fantastic. I have the sear kit for it, but it is a pain to use. On a cold day it will maintain temperature without my being home for at least 5 or 6 hours. Even then, all I have to do is even out the pellets in the hopper.
On a day where it is over 70F I don't have to do anything for 8 hours or more. Couldn't be easier. I love that I can put a shoulder on at 10pm and have it ready for lunch when friends come over to hang out by the pool. No more lack of sleep at those parties!

Good grill very pricey though

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I've been using a big green egg, or my insulated electric(winter months, yes I grill/smoke year round), but a friend of mine has a pellet. He says it's pretty much set and forget?

Yea that is what it is set and forget. Really is hard to mess up ever too...
I love mine and is my goto for most things, I rarely use my gasser anymore.

Gas is still nice for those quick things.. I do want to get a charcoal grill just for temps but I hate messing with charcoal and it will mostly sit there.

I think a pellet grill does the perfect smoke too... Stay away from the filler pellets like Pitboss or Traeger and get 100 percent wood pellets and it makes a difference. I personally like lumber Jack pellets.

For someone looking for a better grill but does not want to pay the price of the high end ones.. I like Camp chef or Green mountain. They fit right in the middle...

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you lot inspired me so I went and picked up a new gas bottle today and was about to start the bbq up and realised it had all rusted and fallen to pieces. Infact it’s a good job I didn’t try and start it! Lol

Anyway, I’ve ordered one of these Webber bbq’s which is arriving Wednesday fully assembled

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you lot inspired me so I went and picked up a new gas bottle today and was about to start the bbq up and realised it had all rusted and fallen to pieces. Infact it’s a good job I didn’t try and start it! Lol

Anyway, I’ve ordered one of these Webber bbq’s which is arriving Wednesday fully assembled

Great choice, the Weber propane grills are outstanding. My last one was 10 years old and the body was still in good shape. I think I replaced the internals 3 times.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice, the Weber propane grills are outstanding. My last one was 10 years old and the body was still in good shape. I think I replaced the internals 3 times.
I’ve always fancied a Webber, So having read the reviews I just went for it. It comes with a 10 year warranty and cover as well.

The last bbq which was an Outback basically rusted. But you know how the years fly by, it must have been 10 years old! Technology has also advanced somewhat.

Im quiet excited actually and having seen some of the stuff you guys cook up Im looking forward to it.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My presents and past cookers:
Cookshack Fast Eddy 120
Weber WSM 22
Weber WSM 18
Akorn Kamodo
Weber 22 OTG
Charbroil cheap box smoker

So the Fast Eddy (FEC) holds temp and easy to dial up and down. For example, you can cook a brisket at 185° well in advance and then fire it up at the end to finish the cook to eliminate the guessing game of when will it be done. I can also dial it down to 160° to use it as a hot box.

The door with racks makes getting to food so much easier and clean up is much easier. Maybe a cup of ash after 18 hours of cooking.

But, even with the optional wood chip box that sits on top if the burner pot, there is no substitute for the flavor of hardwood charcoal.

My 1st place in ribs (contest with 52 entrants) was on the weber wsm 22, royal oak lump, cherry chunks, water in the pan (not dry) and no electronics.

Pellets do the job, are easy to use, you can nap during an overnight cook and cleanup is very much easier.

Pellets and grill too, reverse sear on a single unit

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently scooped up a weber kettle (premium) grill over the weekend. I've never really done a ton of grilling on a charcoal grill. What I'm looking to cook up (besides burger and hod dogs) are: pork butt/shoulder, ribs, and maybe some brisket.

Now, I'm sure the weber grill is probably not the most ideal tool for the job but from what I've been told it can be done with some accessories. One thing that was mentioned specifically is a "slow n sear" as well as adding a weather seal.

Does anyone have any experience with a weber grill and this slow n sear? Any other tips, tricks, useful accessories you guys would recommend?

I also picked up a thermopro 2 probe thermometer.

Low n slow by Gary Wiviott - While it's written for the WSM, every chapter includes the steps for the Kettle (and offsets) too

No accessories other than a chimney starter and disposable pans for water. I did get the hinged grill grates and the charcoal holders on my kettle for easy access to add more coals on a long cook, but not necessary

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently scooped up a weber kettle (premium) grill over the weekend. I've never really done a ton of grilling on a charcoal grill. What I'm looking to cook up (besides burger and hod dogs) are: pork butt/shoulder, ribs, and maybe some brisket.

Now, I'm sure the weber grill is probably not the most ideal tool for the job but from what I've been told it can be done with some accessories. One thing that was mentioned specifically is a "slow n sear" as well as adding a weather seal.

Does anyone have any experience with a weber grill and this slow n sear? Any other tips, tricks, useful accessories you guys would recommend?

I also picked up a thermopro 2 probe thermometer.

I highly recommend a wireless bbq thermometer (not bluetooth range sucks) like the maverick

one probe clips to the grate so you know what the cook temp is inside the cooker and the other probes insert into the meats so you don't need to open.

Of course you can use a cheap oven thermometer can eyeball the temp each time you need to open the lid for an idea how hot your grill gets.

An instant read is handy. Thermapen is the industry standard. I use the maverick pro temp, it's specs rival that of the thermapen (and thermapen didnt light up when I got my pro temp; a huge plus when cooking at night). fwiw. you dont use temp to know when its done you use the push back feel of the probe.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I highly recommend a wireless bbq thermometer (not bluetooth range sucks) like the maverick

one probe clips to the grate so you know what the cook temp is inside the cooker and the other probes insert into the meats so you don't need to open.

Of course you can use a cheap oven thermometer can eyeball the temp each time you need to open the lid for an idea how hot your grill gets.

An instant read is handy. Thermapen is the industry standard. I use the maverick pro temp, it's specs rival that of the thermapen (and thermapen didnt light up when I got my pro temp; a huge plus when cooking at night). fwiw. you dont use temp to know when its done you use the push back feel of the probe.

Yup, I picked up a thermopro 2 probe wireless thermometer.

If the weather cooperates, I'm going to try a pork shoulder using the snake method.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I picked up a thermopro 2 probe wireless thermometer.

If the weather cooperates, I'm going to try a pork shoulder using the snake method.

perfect. my first search landed on their wired one. sorry for the confusiion

I recommend starting with chicken first. Much easier and forgiving

download wiviotts book and follow his method. Every cook starts the same way - important so you have a base frame of reference

He suggest after chicken then to ribs then pork and finally brisket. You build up experience and knowledge of how your weber will cook

His method also has you under and over cook so that you get to know what done is. Chicken is by temp. But for the ribs, he has you cook 3 racks pulling them off 20 minutes apart.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
perfect. my first search landed on their wired one. sorry for the confusiion

I recommend starting with chicken first. Much easier and forgiving

download wiviotts book and follow his method. Every cook starts the same way - important so you have a base frame of reference

He suggest after chicken then to ribs then pork and finally brisket. You build up experience and knowledge of how your weber will cook

His method also has you under and over cook so that you get to know what done is. Chicken is by temp. But for the ribs, he has you cook 3 racks pulling them off 20 minutes apart.

The Low and Slow book?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chicken is spatchcock chicken (basically butterflied so it cooks evenly). You will love and get you off to a good start.

you'll mess up the ribs. everyone does. but no one will notice.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Low and Slow book?

yes. I have it on kindle (cant find my hard copy) and go back to it from time to time

It's also how I came to love using cranberry juice as a base to spray on food while it cooks. Perfect balance between tart and sweet. I almost always mix up cranberry juice and olive oil (with herbs and spices) for chicken breast (those things have no flavor figure conscience guests want them)

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the chicken is spatchcock chicken (basically butterflied so it cooks evenly). You will love and get you off to a good start.

you'll mess up the ribs. everyone does. but no one will notice.

Yeah, wife has some dietary restrictions due to crohns so chicken is a staple at our house. Unfortunately chicken is harder to find right now, unlike pork. At least around where we are. Will try Costco this weekend... Can't wait for that lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st place in ribs (contest with 52 entrants) was on the weber wsm 22, royal oak lump, cherry chunks, water in the pan (not dry) and no electronics.
The WSM 22 is the best value in smokers you can get imo. I miss mine. The only issue I had with mine was that I couldn't keep temperature down when it was 90F+ and sunny. Not a problem most places, but a big problem during the summer in northern Alabama.
Otherwise it is relatively inexpensive, well built, easy to operate, easy to clean, and very portable.

the chicken is spatchcock chicken (basically butterflied so it cooks evenly).
This is the only way I cook a whole chicken now. It's like magic that the breasts and thighs get done at the same time and stay unbelievably juicy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back