BBQing Reefers - What's on your grill/smoker?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The WSM 22 is the best value in smokers you can get imo. I miss mine. The only issue I had with mine was that I couldn't keep temperature down when it was 90F+ and sunny. Not a problem most places, but a big problem during the summer in northern Alabama.
Otherwise it is relatively inexpensive, well built, easy to operate, easy to clean, and very portable.

This is the only way I cook a whole chicken now. It's like magic that the breasts and thighs get done at the same time and stay unbelievably juicy.

That is why stainless is a better color than a black when you need to keep temp low for like smoking cheese.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you buy a chicken already prepared as spatchcock or do you have to do it yourself?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is what it is set and forget. Really is hard to mess up ever too...
I love mine and is my goto for most things, I rarely use my gasser anymore.

Gas is still nice for those quick things.. I do want to get a charcoal grill just for temps but I hate messing with charcoal and it will mostly sit there.

I think a pellet grill does the perfect smoke too... Stay away from the filler pellets like Pitboss or Traeger and get 100 percent wood pellets and it makes a difference. I personally like lumber Jack pellets.

For someone looking for a better grill but does not want to pay the price of the high end ones.. I like Camp chef or Green mountain. They fit right in the middle...

I’ll have to try the lumberjack pellets

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love smoking meat! Here is my Green Mountain Grill “Jim Bowie”
C5288367-5788-46B2-8406-3C2A32BAB513.jpeg DA37DE09-3ABB-4EB0-9372-55B9E49100BF.jpeg 7BD78D28-BDCE-4FCA-8AF7-02D6616833A1.jpeg 47567C57-D63D-46D5-872D-AC4ABC5D8C48.jpeg 361529ED-20B2-415D-A36E-A82C80D7D292.jpeg 924E06C4-EF47-4667-B512-6C0511378083.jpeg
After everyone yesterday suggested the treager or yoder, a friend has one of those green mountain grills. Looks decent, and reasonably priced. Going to borrow it for a couple days, wife does not beleive me that we can use it as a replacement for our gas grill.

ocsurferdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting the masterbuilt 560 - is this what you have?
I got a 130 and it rocks!!! Not necessarily the biggest but I’ve done 16lb turkey for thanksgiving, 15lb brisket, two tri-tips. I would recommend Masterbuilt. Also the Bluetooth control is nice like an Apex for the grill.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current electric smoker is a masterbuilt. While certainly not expensive, or fancy, they just plain work! While I do like it, and it's easy to use, you just don't get that traditional smokey, cooked on wood taste.

Just looking to step up the game a bit and do away with a propane grill and electric smoker.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current electric smoker is a masterbuilt. While certainly not expensive, or fancy, they just plain work! While I do like it, and it's easy to use, you just don't get that traditional smokey, cooked on wood taste.

Just looking to step up the game a bit and do away with a propane grill and electric smoker.

I would say try a wood smoker then. While you will have to tend to the wood there are people that swear by them.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After everyone yesterday suggested the treager or yoder, a friend has one of those green mountain grills. Looks decent, and reasonably priced. Going to borrow it for a couple days, wife does not beleive me that we can use it as a replacement for our gas grill.

It will be way better then your propane grill. You can cook fast on them as well. I do hotdogs in 12mins. I’ve also done a pizza at 500F in 10 or 15 minutes.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you buy a chicken already prepared as spatchcock or do you have to do it yourself?
You do it yourself but it is very easy if you have a good pair of kitchen shears. You cut out the backbone of the chicken by cutting along each side. This will expose the breast bone. Take a sharp boning knife and score it without cutting through. Turn the chicken over and push down on it to snap the breast bone.
The chicken should now be laying flat and ready for seasoning.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do it yourself but it is very easy if you have a good pair of kitchen shears. You cut out the backbone of the chicken by cutting along each side. This will expose the breast bone. Take a sharp boning knife and score it without cutting through. Turn the chicken over and push down on it to snap the breast bone.
The chicken should now be laying flat and ready for seasoning.

Thumbs up.jpeg

spatchcock is a cooking method. By butterflying it, and tucking the legs and thighs on themselves the chicken now has even shape so that it cooks evenly. By starting it rib cage/backbone side down, it protects the meat and skin from burning.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

look into the pit barrel smoker, it's affordable and you follow the cooking instructions that make it idiot proof. You can't tinker with it like the smokers used in competitions, for the backyard enthusiasts, I know no better smoker that balances easy of use, consistency and that true wood/charcoal flavor. I

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love it. I looked at every top brand and was almost sold on a yoder but GMG has been reported to have real good customer service. No issues other than a temp probe go bad in 2 years. I received a new one 2 days later. I was also looking for something that would hold 3 turkey‘s for Thanksgiving. This one checked all the boxes. I have grilled on it but I still use my gas grill for grilling.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tri ptip????

my favorite cut of meat

I love tri-tip on the smoker, and so do most of my friends. After two years I think I developed the perfect rub for it. I took two to a 4th of July BBQ and it was gone in 5 minutes. Few people on the east coast in my area know about that cut of meat.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking right around 5ish. Everyones welcome as long as we stay 6 feet apart. :D

In all seriousness though, it's just the wife and I, so there is always leftovers. Going to donate it to the local food bank(its a 14 pound butt), so it's shared locally(I live in a very small town with a full time population of around 500). I've done it a few times now, and always hear from those that receive some. They typically ask when they can get some more. lol

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking right around 5ish. Everyones welcome as long as we stay 6 feet apart. :D

In all seriousness though, it's just the wife and I, so there is always leftovers. Going to donate it to the local food bank(its a 14 pound butt), so it's shared locally(I live in a very small town with a full time population of around 500). I've done it a few times now, and always hear from those that receive some. They typically ask when they can get some more. lol

We're going to try get some meat this weekend. Ideally wanna grab a couple whole chickens, some pork butt and maybe some ribs.

For now, got some Asian zing chicken breast and thighs marinading and will tryout the weber.

20200410_080014.jpg

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meat is tough to find these days, well good meat.

Went to wally world yesterday, and they had huge racks of ribs, and some butts. Got a couple packages of both, and froze them. Beef and chicken was in very low supply. No real steaks, just some junk delmo's(had more fat then meat), and some 80/20 ground chuck. Chicken only thing they had was some legs and thighs.

Ended up having to go to an actual meat market(I typically go there for meat anyways) for steaks, and even their supply was running short.

Got a nice chunk of raw pork belly. Going to try my hand at making maple brown sugar bacon. most recipes call for 5 days in curing salt, and seasonings, then a low and slow smoke @125 for a couple hours. First time doing bacon, so I'm curious how it will turn out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 147 60.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.2%
Back