BBS eating dead phytoplankton?

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, so I found something interesting and wondered if anyone has had this happen to them? So my copepod culture is doing excellent and overloaded the 5g tank that I’ve had to harvest more than once a week to keep the population stable. Of course that means a very well fed happy mandarin dragonet. I’ve also been hatching fresh BBS for him too. A while back, I was harvesting from both cultures and now I have a tank full of adult brine shrimp with the copepods. I’m honestly shocked because even though they filter feed, I didn’t think they ate dead phytoplankton too. So now I have probably a couple hundred in there with thousands of pods. Anyone cultured bbs with phytoplankton?

338D49A4-A71C-48A0-A0E5-1380703A2FE7.jpeg

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, so I found something interesting and wondered if anyone has had this happen to them? So my copepod culture is doing excellent and overloaded the 5g tank that I’ve had to harvest more than once a week to keep the population stable. Of course that means a very well fed happy mandarin dragonet. I’ve also been hatching fresh BBS for him too. A while back, I was harvesting from both cultures and now I have a tank full of adult brine shrimp with the copepods. I’m honestly shocked because even though they filter feed, I didn’t think they ate dead phytoplankton too. So now I have probably a couple hundred in there with thousands of pods. Anyone cultured bbs with phytoplankton?

Brine and copepods will eat dead phyto without issue . On the other side of things your going to lose the copepods most likely in that culture as the brine will out compete them . Best to keep them separate as much as possible

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine and copepods will eat dead phyto without issue . On the other side of things your going to lose the copepods most likely in that culture as the brine will out compete them . Best to keep them separate as much as possible
It actually wasn’t intended to mix them. I was harvesting both at the same time but I actually wasn’t expecting the bbs to survive.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Artemia (brine shrimp) will eat all kinds of things including dead algae. We have customers that only feed dead algae and lipid enrichment to their brine shrimp with excellent results.

Thanks for bringing this up because there is a broad misconception that live algae is the only thing that works for zooplankton cultures like brine shrimp, copepods and rotifers.

Chad

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back