BC - before clowns

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC (before clowns) my anemone shut down and went to bed every night. Last week I got two clowns, one of which the anemone has been hosting day and night. Tonight, at lights out, the anemone is going to bed and leaving the clown high and dry. Is this typical? or is something wrong? Newbie question - obviously... Thanks

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC my anemone shut down and went to bed every night. Last week I got two clowns, one of which the anemone has been hosting day and night. Tonight, at lights out, the anemone is going to bed and leaving the clown high and dry. Is this typical? or is something wrong? Newbie question - obviously... Thanks
Most clownfish are now farm bred/ captive bred so I assume they are not familiar with living in anemone, I'm sure your clownfish will adjust to not having a place to sleep and adjust

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clownfish are now farm bred/ captive bred so I assume they are not familiar with living in anemone, I'm sure your clownfish will adjust to not having a place to sleep and adjust
But is this typical? My clownfish has been in the anemone, but now can't.. as the anemone is closed for the night (for the first time since hosting the new clown beginning a week ago).

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens a lot the clowns just hover around the closed anemone for the night usually IME, is it a bta or what type of anemone?

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens a lot the clowns just hover around the closed anemone for the night usually IME, is it a bta or what type of anemone?
Thanks Yes bta. It had been staying open enough for the clown to sleep in it, but not tonight.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is this typical? My clownfish has been in the anemone, but now can't.. as the anemone is closed for the night (for the first time since hosting the new clown beginning a week ago).
Yes, it is typical. It is unrelated to whether clownfish are farmbred or wildcaught, because obviously this is on the side of the anemone - whether the clown wants to be in the anemone or not is moot as the anemone decides to be open or close. But yes, is normal. Certain anemone do close up completely and their clownfish just hangs out nearby. XD At least every once in a while for a time.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think anything is typical, you fall out with your partner and she kicks you out for a night , what do you do??
Clownfish find anemone a great place to hide, nothing symbiotic/ relationship.
Same as you, you get kicked out.. clownfish kicked out?
You have nothing to worry about

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think anything is typical, you fall out with your partner and she kicks you out for a night , what do you do??
Clownfish find anemone a great place to hide, nothing symbiotic/ relationship.
Same as you, you get kicked out.. clownfish kicked out?
You have nothing to worry about
OK thanks! good analogy btw.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back