Be careful what you say to other reefers- Be very clear

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just spoke with someone local on Wednesday evening who is having issues with nitrates and wants to keep it down. he has a sump but No refugium. I suggested sand or Miracle mud , and clamp on light for now with a par 38 bulb and some Chaeto. He asked me if I was serious and I said absolutely. Chaeto works like a champ

Problem: When I said Chaeto (pronounce Kato), he thought I said Cheetos. YES, You already Guessed.
The dude put Cheetos in his dang sump and calls me 12:30a last night to say his tank is super cloudy and the only two fish (clowns) are in the upper corner gasping. Fortunately, the tank is newer and not yet fully stocked.
I went over with my python, had him mix 10 gallons of new salt mix while I was in the way. Fortunately I pictured worse. it was cloudy yes, but not sour. I siphoned up gravel bedding and had him follow me back to house and I made up a filter bag with carbon and told him to get that in sump immediately.
he is to call this morning to let me know how tank looks. Waiting to hear back

SMH.gif

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I cant believe he proceeded with Cheetos (by the way, it was crunchy type, so didn't fall apart as easy as Puffs would have)

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say those are frustrating misunderstandings. Happens a lot in the machine shop I work in. For instance, most of our prints show up in metric and we convert most of the dimensions that we don't have metric measuring tools for back into inch. So when I tell the next guy we need to leave 10 mil for future milling operations it's all in their interpretation of what I told them. They are either going to leave the part 10 millimeters long (which is excessive) or I'll get the part I want with .01" extra material. "Mil" can be interpreted a few ways depending on what you're talking about. Might be millimeters, milliliters, or it could be thousandths of an inch. Fortunately you guys managed to catch it and fix the issue pretty quick. In both situations there can be literally thousands of dollars on the line. Suffice it to say we ask each other lots of redundant sounding questions in the work place to be 100% sure we're all on the same page.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with someone local on Wednesday evening who is having issues with nitrates and wants to keep it down. he has a sump but No refugium. I suggested sand or Miracle mud , and clamp on light for now with a par 38 bulb and some Chaeto. He asked me if I was serious and I said absolutely. Chaeto works like a champ

Problem: When I said Chaeto (pronounce Kato), he thought I said Cheetos. YES, You already Guessed.
The dude put Cheetos in his dang sump and calls me 12:30a last night to say his tank is super cloudy and the only two fish (clowns) are in the upper corner gasping. Fortunately, the tank is newer and not yet fully stocked.
I went over with my python, had him mix 10 gallons of new salt mix while I was in the way. Fortunately I pictured worse. it was cloudy yes, but not sour. I siphoned up gravel bedding and had him follow me back to house and I made up a filter bag with carbon and told him to get that in sump immediately.
he is to call this morning to let me know how tank looks. Waiting to hear back

SMH.gif
Bummer

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of it is a learning curve.

When we go to an LFS and ask for it, we know what is meant no matter how we pronounce it. To someone new to the hobby they may have heard the word in any form of pronunciation. they use their prior experience to put meaning to the word

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me play devil's advocate here. Situations like is are in no way whatsoever the fault of the person providing the advice.

It's a complete and total lack of critical thinking on the part of Mr cheetos-in-his-sump, and I suspect it's not going the be the last colossal mistake they make. :rolleyes:

It's also hilarious.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back