Be careful what you say to other reefers- Be very clear

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of it is a learning curve.

When we go to an LFS and ask for it, we know what is meant no matter how we pronounce it. To someone new to the hobby they may have heard the word in any form of pronunciation. they use their prior experience to put meaning to the word

Yeah and it's kind of like following a recipe in a cook-book. Most people just follow the directions. Being critical about "the directions" is a skill that has to be learned (at some point).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It shouldn't cause any more problems than 'overfeeding' (like when the person drops an entire carton of food in the tank). Probably a bacterial bloom - so oxygen is probably in order (as well as the other clean up efforts. Given that it was Cheetos - the salinity probably doubled as well LOL

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah and it's kind of like following a recipe in a cook-book. Most people just follow the directions. Being critical about "the directions" is a skill that has to be learned (at some point).

Im amazed at the number of people here - for example when setting up equipment write something like this:

Im reading the instructions and it says wait 3 days before doing x but I'm going to do it after 1 day - is that ok?
-or-
The instructions say add 20 drops after 1 minute - I've decided to add it immediately to save time - is that ok?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, (and it's in my book) I wrote that if your tank crashed and has nothing in it but ich, bristle worms, cyano, hair algae and "no " fish , corals or inverts you can save the water, rocks and gravel by adding a cup of regular "Clorox" to fifty gallons of water. Then wait a week, add Chlorine remover and then re start the tank using the same water.

(I actually did this to my tank a couple of times in the very beginning and it's still running)

The guy wrote me a nasty letter saying he put Clorox in his "fully stocked" tank and everything died so I am responsible. ;Wideyed

Like "Clorox" Really!!!!

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The instructions say add 20 drops after 1 minute - I've decided to add it immediately to save time - is that ok?

1568564905723.gif

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised he didn’t ask more questions like what is the correct dose of Cheetos? Do you use the whole large bag or will one of the snack size bags work? Is there any benefit of using flaming hot Cheetos or will the regular ones work best?

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be that guy... but if you actually thought putting Cheetos in your reef tank was even remotely close to a good idea, you should have done your research. I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for people who don't do the necessary research prior to buying a reef tank and caring for living animals. Everyone makes mistakes, but some mistakes are just substantially more avoidable than others. Regardless, the responsibility falls on the owner of the tank.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with someone local on Wednesday evening who is having issues with nitrates and wants to keep it down. he has a sump but No refugium. I suggested sand or Miracle mud , and clamp on light for now with a par 38 bulb and some Chaeto. He asked me if I was serious and I said absolutely. Chaeto works like a champ

Problem: When I said Chaeto (pronounce Kato), he thought I said Cheetos. YES, You already Guessed.
The dude put Cheetos in his dang sump and calls me 12:30a last night to say his tank is super cloudy and the only two fish (clowns) are in the upper corner gasping. Fortunately, the tank is newer and not yet fully stocked.
I went over with my python, had him mix 10 gallons of new salt mix while I was in the way. Fortunately I pictured worse. it was cloudy yes, but not sour. I siphoned up gravel bedding and had him follow me back to house and I made up a filter bag with carbon and told him to get that in sump immediately.
he is to call this morning to let me know how tank looks. Waiting to hear back

SMH.gif
Reminds me of the nuclear waste debacle, the guy from the department of energy tells the contractor to mix in x amount of inorganic kitty litter, so what does the contractor hear "an organic kitty litter"... oh my....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The end of the story - "well - I talked to the guy 2 weeks later - the clowns have spawned - and the fry are eating the remaining Cheetos and are growing like weeds - and the coral growth 'took off' after the incident"

Moxtrain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be that guy... but if you actually thought putting Cheetos in your reef tank was even remotely close to a good idea, you should have done your research. I'm sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for people who don't do the necessary research prior to buying a reef tank and caring for living animals. Everyone makes mistakes, but some mistakes are just substantially more avoidable than others. Regardless, the responsibility falls on the owner of the tank.

Bear in mind that in this person's head they did due diligence. They identified a problem, called in someone with more experience than they have, clarified with a question and followed the advice. They thought it was strange to add cheetos to the sump. They got an affirmative though and ran with it. We've all been there in the beginning of any learning curve. You literally don't know enough to ask all the questions you should.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interpretation is one thing putting cheetos in your reef tank is something else altogether lol. Even if I think I heard cheetos that's something I draw the line at on trusting the process.

You're a good dude sucking cheetos out of someone's tank at night

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back