Be careful what you say to other reefers- Be very clear

Brian Goldstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that in this person's head they did due diligence. They identified a problem, called in someone with more experience than they have, clarified with a question and followed the advice. They thought it was strange to add cheetos to the sump. They got an affirmative though and ran with it. We've all been there in the beginning of any learning curve. You literally don't know enough to ask all the questions you should.

What people think in their head is often very different from the hard reality of things unfortunately. In my opinion, if the person had done their research, the idea of putting cheetos in your aquarium would have never sounded like a logical or beneficial thing to do in the first place

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a owner of a fish store tell me a dogface puffer could fit in a 20 gallon for its life.
He was right - though if you think about it. It just would be likely a 'shorter life'

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typical Wisconsinite. he woke up for packer game and just called me. Tank is hazy looking but much clearer and clowns not eating yet but not gasping either.
Sounds like tank is in right direction and he is getting CHAETO next week.

1568568020879.png
Found this online . . LOL

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typical Wisconsinite. he woke up for packer game and just called me. Tank is hazy looking but much clearer and clowns not eating yet but not gasping either.
Sounds like tank is in right direction and he is getting CHAETO next week.

1568568020879.png
Found this online . . LOL
the dolphin or whatever on the right side is a nice touch

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally spat soda on my laptop screen reading this. Does that make me a bad person?

I could totally see this happening. When I went to my first LFS when I was new, I asked for a wad of chaeto(kato). I was told by the LFS it was pronounced "chato". Of course I know better now(It's pronounced kato), but it totally sounded like he said cheeto. Of course I had to get a clarification on the pronunciation.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you for going the extra mile to help this person out.
I typed a whole paragraph about common sense and verifying information through a simple Google search, but decided it wasnt helpful. I am very happy that R2R exists because of people helping the new comers and wonder what shape my reef would be like if it wasn't the positive and helpful place that it is. Good on you!

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with someone local on Wednesday evening who is having issues with nitrates and wants to keep it down. he has a sump but No refugium. I suggested sand or Miracle mud , and clamp on light for now with a par 38 bulb and some Chaeto. He asked me if I was serious and I said absolutely. Chaeto works like a champ

Problem: When I said Chaeto (pronounce Kato), he thought I said Cheetos. YES, You already Guessed.
The dude put Cheetos in his dang sump and calls me 12:30a last night to say his tank is super cloudy and the only two fish (clowns) are in the upper corner gasping. Fortunately, the tank is newer and not yet fully stocked.
I went over with my python, had him mix 10 gallons of new salt mix while I was in the way. Fortunately I pictured worse. it was cloudy yes, but not sour. I siphoned up gravel bedding and had him follow me back to house and I made up a filter bag with carbon and told him to get that in sump immediately.
he is to call this morning to let me know how tank looks. Waiting to hear back

SMH.gif
that guy might want to re consider being in this hobby

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why we stick to the common trends haha. Like a mate is advising me to do a cycle with fish in the tank since the biological filter doesn't really start till there are fish in there. (he was advised by a member of a high up aquarium company) but since no one does this anymore and I'm going to be using dry rock I'm going to politely ignore his advice and cycle for a while then add fish and potentially cycle again because fish are added but better safe than sorry

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just texted fellow and one of the clowns are eating and tank clearer but not crystal clear. Looks lit he got lucky

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
not sure it will help with this but running carbon might help
My original post states i set him home with carbon to assure water is purified and polishes the cloudiness

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back