Be careful what you say to other reefers- Be very clear

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with someone local on Wednesday evening who is having issues with nitrates and wants to keep it down. he has a sump but No refugium. I suggested sand or Miracle mud , and clamp on light for now with a par 38 bulb and some Chaeto. He asked me if I was serious and I said absolutely. Chaeto works like a champ

Problem: When I said Chaeto (pronounce Kato), he thought I said Cheetos. YES, You already Guessed.
The dude put Cheetos in his dang sump and calls me 12:30a last night to say his tank is super cloudy and the only two fish (clowns) are in the upper corner gasping. Fortunately, the tank is newer and not yet fully stocked.
I went over with my python, had him mix 10 gallons of new salt mix while I was in the way. Fortunately I pictured worse. it was cloudy yes, but not sour. I siphoned up gravel bedding and had him follow me back to house and I made up a filter bag with carbon and told him to get that in sump immediately.
he is to call this morning to let me know how tank looks. Waiting to hear back

SMH.gif
Reminds me of a story Albert Thiel told me years ago. He advised a fellow to add lime water to his tank. He couldn't find lime water so added lemon juice instead.

Chris L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with someone local on Wednesday evening who is having issues with nitrates and wants to keep it down. he has a sump but No refugium. I suggested sand or Miracle mud , and clamp on light for now with a par 38 bulb and some Chaeto. He asked me if I was serious and I said absolutely. Chaeto works like a champ

Problem: When I said Chaeto (pronounce Kato), he thought I said Cheetos. YES, You already Guessed.
The dude put Cheetos in his dang sump and calls me 12:30a last night to say his tank is super cloudy and the only two fish (clowns) are in the upper corner gasping. Fortunately, the tank is newer and not yet fully stocked.
I went over with my python, had him mix 10 gallons of new salt mix while I was in the way. Fortunately I pictured worse. it was cloudy yes, but not sour. I siphoned up gravel bedding and had him follow me back to house and I made up a filter bag with carbon and told him to get that in sump immediately.

THats funny i was thinking about the Cheeto reactor i just set up yesterday!!

Imagine the Cheeto's floating around in the reactor producing that orange water!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka, Cheetos. Throw in some bologna and that’s a great Friday night for me.

I just texted fellow and one of the clowns are eating and tank clearer but not crystal clear. Looks lit he got lucky

Glad he’s eating, but what? Cheetos, the new Selcon?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Moral of this story: Always put it in writing! LOL

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have asked many times to make sure
yea to me that sounds crazy AF but to a newb I'm sure some of the stuff we do sounds crazy like dosing peroxide
I would have said so how does adding Cheetos do what I want

Lefty McWaterbox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SMH.gif
So. I’m relatively new to the hobby. Just at a year. I ask a ton of questions at my local stores. And I’ve found out if you ask three experts in the hobby you are likely to get three different answers or at least 3 variations on the answer. Even if all 3 experts said add Cheeto’s to my sump I would have had to ask for clarification! And in this poor guys defense there is soooo much to learn. And it just keeps unfolding!

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My partner constantly says the wrong words when explaining things and it can be VERY dangerous...of course it’s always my fault when something goes wrong as she doesn’t remember saying the wrong word because in her brain she said it correctly. Cheetos though wow!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have already been said, I didn't read the whole thread but my worst pet peeve is people saying to "cook" rock. People have nearly died due to taking this literally. This should never ever be said.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back