Be honest - did you waste your money?

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being Friday I thought it would be fun to get a list of item (gadgets, gimmicks, exciting 'new tech', etc.) that you purchased over the years that you can honestly look back on and say "yep, wasted my money on that". It's OK we are only human and we won't judge you (much). Off the top of my head when running freshwater I fell for the undergravel filter "you'll never have to clean your substrate if you use this" deal. If you want a giant detritus trap yeah those work GREAT!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was the Ocean's Motion flow diverter 4 way. I got this when I first set up my 210g like 13 years or more ago. Expensive and did not work for my system after a couple months. Real waste for me. I know they have done great for others though.

OP
OP
MastaMind82

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to buy your light before you became a member of R2R?

I did.
I did indeed. I think I'm going to stay with them for a bit then move them over for use on a frag QT. I have been following the BRS guys on their "lighting platinum standard" now. Sounds great but also sounds like if I wanted their idea of a lighting setup I'd have to sell a kidney, one of my dogs, and my dvd collection of Clint Eastwood films.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Marineland Reef light with timer and changed to just as worse- Orbit marine light.
Other would be ZooMed aquarium power center with timer

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I added a dual T5 to the mix do you think that would help out?
Not much for just dual, quad would help some. They are just bad quality lights with bad spectrum, spread and low par. Id say sell it and go buy some Radion G5 even used G4s would be night and day different. You get what you pay for with this hobby and lights are something you should not penny pinch on.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into the hobby a little over 12yrs ago my first setup came with the infamous trickle filter and bio balls that I opted for, obviously paid up for it. By the time I had that 180gal set up going I had built my own sump and never even used it after really digging into the hobby and seeing how bad they were.

It sat in the basement for years until we moved, then it went into the trash haha

OP
OP
MastaMind82

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much for just dual, quad would help some. They are just bad quality lights with bad spectrum, spread and low par. Id say sell it and go buy some Radion G5 even used G4s would be night and day different. You get what you pay for with this hobby and lights are something you should not penny pinch on.
Right on, well I was gonna have the day off but it looks like I gotta go do some overtime for new lights. Anyone looking to buy some really cool lights? HAHAHAHA

Ulm_nano_diybudgetreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby and with initial research decided a canister filter was the easier auto pilot option. Now I want a fuge and space for a potential a skimmer.

Wouldn't say a waste of money as it works really well, but I'm putting it down to lack of experience and growth in the hobby, which leads to new ambitions. Makes me think of my next tank before I've even put a single coral in this one... lol

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being Friday I thought it would be fun to get a list of item (gadgets, gimmicks, exciting 'new tech', etc.) that you purchased over the years that you can honestly look back on and say "yep, wasted my money on that". It's OK we are only human and we won't judge you (much). Off the top of my head when running freshwater I fell for the undergravel filter "you'll never have to clean your substrate if you use this" deal. If you want a giant detritus trap yeah those work GREAT!
I love undergravel filters. I have used them on many freshwater tanks. I never thought of them as a way to avoid gravel cleaning.

OP
OP
MastaMind82

MastaMind82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love undergravel filters. I have used them on many freshwater tanks. I never thought of them as a way to avoid gravel cleaning.
Yeah I sadly went the route of thinking it would replace the need of gravel cleaning. But yeah if used correctly they work good, like anything just gotta use it correctly.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back