Be honest - did you waste your money?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fancy Vectra L2 return pump is way too powerful even on the lowest setting, so I can't really take advantage of any of its features. I should have just bought a normal one for half the price. :(

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being Friday I thought it would be fun to get a list of item (gadgets, gimmicks, exciting 'new tech', etc.) that you purchased over the years that you can honestly look back on and say "yep, wasted my money on that". It's OK we are only human and we won't judge you (much). Off the top of my head when running freshwater I fell for the undergravel filter "you'll never have to clean your substrate if you use this" deal. If you want a giant detritus trap yeah those work GREAT!
$7 dollar stream pumps, $8 pH sensors, I can go on and on. Pretty much waste of the money on cheap equipment.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasted a fair amount of $ on various snails before I found that the only ones my puffer and trigger won't attack are large turbos. They somehow seem to survive. Kinds wish I had only gotten snail safe fish, but do love my trigger and puffer.

Relassy fuge light. built in timer resets every time the power goes out and screws up the lighting schedule.

A slightly undersized pump. Ended up selling and buying the largest one before I was happy with the flow. Smaller one worked, but I wasn't happy with it.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna phosphate checker....sorry I really disliked the fact that I had to go online to figure how to use it, the vials scratch easily, reagent packets are a pain to use. I don't dose phosphate, just need a ballpark which Salifert does for me.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex display module was the worst buy ever for me. It came and didn't work out of the box, I sent back and was told it was water damaged even though I never got to even set it up thankfully brs stepped in to fix it since it came from them and potentially got damaged in shipping or storage etc. After having it a year everytime there's an apex software update it flashes orange for about 24-48 hours so I can maybe use it 1/3 of the time. Absolutely a waste of cash I'd buy a cheap pad if I was doing it again.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
InTank chamber 2 media basket for my Fluval Evo 13.5. Not really their fault, the aio area is just badly designed. With the chamber 1 media basket in place, the water flows out near the bottom of the chamber straight into the input for chamber 3.

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me unfortunately was the aquapure nitrate reactor. I purchased it with the tank and the gentleman before was able to keep up with it and his tank was amazing. I on the other hand ended up working 60+ hours a week being voulantold for overtime. Due to me not doing the proper maintenance I had a sulfur leak and I lost close to 3k of value in live stock.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've wasted so much money during my 30ish years of keeping fish that I can't imagine. Easily five figures of pure, wasted money.

Some of the most wasteful - selling equipment when I take down a tank only to put it back up a couple years later and have to go buy all that stuff again. Buying large skimmers is expensive!

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex display module was the worst buy ever for me. It came and didn't work out of the box, I sent back and was told it was water damaged even though I never got to even set it up thankfully brs stepped in to fix it since it came from them and potentially got damaged in shipping or storage etc. After having it a year everytime there's an apex software update it flashes orange for about 24-48 hours so I can maybe use it 1/3 of the time. Absolutely a waste of cash I'd buy a cheap pad if I was doing it again.

Junk for 100 bucks, I have had 2 died on me before giving up, it would be nice to have an easy way to tell temp without opening my phone

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back